Panama Canal - Which Ship?

DShock

We just booked Island Princess to PC partial transit for Dec. 2017, Leaving and returning out of LA. Has anyone done this voyage? We are disappointed that we don't actually get off the ship in Panama. Scenic cruising only ☹️

We are doing the Caribbean in Feb as well. Surprising the hubby & son with an ocean suite.

Usually we do private excursions, but won't mind doing Princess.

Any recommendations? We never been to any of these islands either; so very excited.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Not happy seeing all of this. We are on Island because of date of sailing and looks like we might regret it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We just did the full transit on the Island Princess. If I had a choice I would take the Coral' date=' the Island always felt crowded. I do have to say the crew was excellent.[/quote']

I was on the Island for a PC full transit in February. It didn't just "feel" crowded. It WAS crowded. Packed is a better word. You had to get to the theater 45 minutes in advance to even have a hope to get a seat for some shows. But then other times if you arrived 45 minutes in advance, they didn't open the doors until 25 minutes before the show started. Lines into the atrium for Anytime Dining. Lines everywhere for everything. It was my first time on the Island. Honestly, I would never sail on the Island again. Knowing that Princess scrapped similar renovations for the Coral must tell you something!

We did a full Panama Transit on the Island last November and we've also sailed on the Coral. Unfortunately the Island tends to get a bit congested especially at the Dining Rooms. The Panama is a wonderful journey and I seriously don't think the Island's problems are bad enough to put you off sailing on her. If the dates fit, book it regardless of the ship and you'll have a great cruise.

We just booked Island Princess to PC partial transit for Dec. 2017, Leaving and returning out of LA. Has anyone done this voyage? We are disappointed that we don't actually get off the ship in Panama. Scenic cruising only ☹️

Welcome to Cruise Critic:D. Don't despair, while I have not done this itin I believe these partial transits from the Pacific side operate the same as the do from Florida. That is once the ship reaches the Gatun Lake anchorage near Gatun Locks tours will be offered. The ship will spend overnight there, so there is ample time for shore excursions. What is different at this stop is you may only leave the ship on a Princess excursion, no private shore excursions are permitted. Also you are not allowed to go ashore and just walk around since there is no town, transportation or commercial district.

I did find this on the Panama Canal Pacific Adventure on the Dec 21 sailing for the Island Princess on the "Panama Canal (Scenic Cruising) Panama" link.

http://www.princess.com/find/searchResults.do

It appears to be the same description as they have for the partial transit cruises out of Florida.

That was the main reason I chose the voyage I did when I cruised the PC in Feb 2017. We had one day in Panama City then we cruised the canal the next day. Well worth it, since we saw the canal and the Miraflores locks from land first. Also got to see a bit of the city.

Not many have previously done this voyage--this is only the third time Princess has ever offered it.

There is a good possibility that excursions will be offered that will let you get off the ship while it is anchored in Gatun Lake, returning to the ship as it exits the locks going back into the Pacific. The "port" on the Pacific side for Panama City is a crude tender dock essentially in the middle of nowhere. Likely on this unique partial transit sailing a timely call could not be arranged.

• 1 month later...

Everyone, thank you for the info! I will look into your link Bill B, and cross our fingers when we actually get to Gatun Lake, that they will have an excursion to experience the locks better. Still have some wonderful ports along the way, that we will go on fun excursions then!