Pompeii tour and heat

AK Dreaming

This is my first time in Europe and all the weather links say high 70 to low 50s but all the comments on Pompeii say extreme heat. I live in South Florida so I am used to heat, but in late June is it unbearable. We are considering the NCL Pompeii/Amafi Coast tour. Has anyone done that?

No way is someone going to be able to answer your question. First, we all have differing descriptions of of "unbearable". I for one, love the heat, DW, not so much.

Second, we were in Italy the beginning of June a couple of years ago. Expecting 70-80s. However, we hit a 10 day, record breaking heatwave. Even the locals were complaining. 100 degrees and humidity in the 50-60% range is noticeable.

It can be very hot. I was in Pompeii for a week last June and it was scorching. Somehow the combination of the hard earth, stone buildings and streets, very little shade and thousands of other people seems to have a magnifying effect on the actual temperature, and of course humidity can also make it feel hotter.

I live in Atlanta, but I am not out in the summer heat for hours at a time. It felt plenty hot to me.

If anyone brings an umbrella for shade, please just be mindful of others. I have seen folks get poked in the back of the head and in the face with umbrellas being used as sun shades at crowded sites like Pompeii and Ephesus. Better idea might be to bring a broad-brimmed hat.

I've done that tour. We were into November, but it was an abnormally warm spell apparently (30C/86F). You're in an air conditioned coach for a fair amount of time, so it's really just the walk around Pompeii that would be an issue. It is pretty open and exposed, but you do also go into a few buildings and can get some shade there. It was a dry heat so it wasn't that bothersome - no humidity. Take an umbrella and water (they give you 1 bottle) and do it - it really is worth some discomfort to experience all of that.

It can be very hot. I was in Pompeii for a week last June and it was scorching. Somehow the combination of the hard earth, stone buildings and streets, very little shade and thousands of other people seems to have a magnifying effect on the actual temperature, and of course humidity can also make it feel hotter.

I live in Atlanta, but I am not out in the summer heat for hours at a time. It felt plenty hot to me.

If anyone brings an umbrella for shade, please just be mindful of others. I have seen folks get poked in the back of the head and in the face with umbrellas being used as sun shades at crowded sites like Pompeii and Ephesus. Better idea might be to bring a broad-brimmed hat.

The broad-brimmed hat was a godsend for me, not just in Pompeii but in places like the Coliseum. And it was one less thing to carry.

No umbrella poking was going on at the Colosseum when ALL of us had umbrellas, due to torrential rain. No visits to the ER by anyone in our group, now that I think about it [emoji74]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk