On and off the boat

sparks1093 - from the OP it reads that they do not bring any type of ID at all when they are in port, just the S&S. Wearing it around you're neck does make you more of a target. You want to do your part to be safe while in port.

Two years ago, I was on an NCL cruise that stopped at Florida. You needed to bring your Driver's License in order to get back on the ship. Your passport wasn't good enough because it doesn't show your address. The restrictions at Florida was worse than any other port. I was going to leave my Driver's License at home. Thank goodness that I didn't!

sparks1093 - from the OP it reads that they do not bring any type of ID at all when they are in port, just the S&S. Wearing it around you're neck does make you more of a target. You want to do your part to be safe while in port.

I agree that safety is a first concern in port, but one shouldn't think that just because they avoid one particular behavior (wearing a lanyard with an S&S card) that it makes it harder for the locals to ID them as tourists.

I agree that safety is a first concern in port, but one shouldn't think that just because they avoid one particular behavior (wearing a lanyard with an S&S card) that it makes it harder for the locals to ID them as tourists.

I personally would not wear a lanyard around my neck. But I guess it depends what port too. Like St. Thomas, St. Martin, private islands did be OK as they depend on tourism. But some other ports I would not for sure advertise that I'm on a cruise.....

Just off of Valor and visited Cozumel last Saturday. I've been at least a dozen times and never brought ID. This time announcements were made, signs everywhere to have a photo ID to get back onto the ship. This is checked as you enter the last shop before the long pier. I believe this is due to more stringent border control.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not being mean.....but why would you leave the ship without some sort of ID in a foreign country? What if you lose your S&S card?......just a question.......as a Canadian I feel more comfortable bringing my passport into the ports......

I bring my passport off every time also.

Ok, so now I'm totally confused why this conversation is even needed. First, my DL is always in my wallet. It is my form of ID which I needed ever since I became a big boy (adult). I never leave home without it. When I get off in port, I always have it. I always have money. I always have a credit card. On the ship, signs as you exit, remind you to make sure you have ID. So exactly why would any "adult" not carry ID with them in a foreign country off the ship?

Your Ship's Card is for the ship, and the ship only. The picture is embedded in the code when it is swiped. The port security (and you can call it by any name you want, even if it's the wrong name) requires you to show a photo ID, government issued to access the gated port area. Some countries are strict, others barely even notice. But they require it, not the ship. They ask for your ship's card to also prove you belong going to the ship. This is really simple to understand and no different than getting on a plane, or a train, or the ship.

My next item of extreme confusion is why are so many people afraid to carry the government ID, that is the most important ID they have in a foreign country and the ID that they are so afraid not to have, but yet, hide it, lock it up, and tremble at the very thought they might be stolen? MY passport is carried on me. It is what I need if something terrible happens, an accident, or missed ship, for any of dozens of reasons. (Passport, money, and Credit card).

My passport has been in 25 countries, and is safely in my possession at all times, with a copy at home, and a copy in my suitcase/hotel/ship.

I also have a passport card, in my wallet, which can get wet, in case I'm swimming. Another item that is so confusing why people would not want it as an additional layer of security of knowing you have official ID's in case you run into an issue. (No, you don't need to tell me you can't fly with it, because everyone knows it by now, but it will be better than not having anything (locked safely in your safe?).

Ok, so now I'm totally confused why this conversation is even needed. First, my DL is always in my wallet. It is my form of ID which I needed ever since I became a big boy (adult). I never leave home without it. When I get off in port, I always have it. I always have money. I always have a credit card. On the ship, signs as you exit, remind you to make sure you have ID. So exactly why would any "adult" not carry ID with them in a foreign country off the ship?

Your Ship's Card is for the ship, and the ship only. The picture is embedded in the code when it is swiped. The port security (and you can call it by any name you want, even if it's the wrong name) requires you to show a photo ID, government issued to access the gated port area. Some countries are strict, others barely even notice. But they require it, not the ship. They ask for your ship's card to also prove you belong going to the ship. This is really simple to understand and no different than getting on a plane, or a train, or the ship.

My next item of extreme confusion is why are so many people afraid to carry the government ID, that is the most important ID they have in a foreign country and the ID that they are so afraid not to have, but yet, hide it, lock it up, and tremble at the very thought they might be stolen? MY passport is carried on me. It is what I need if something terrible happens, an accident, or missed ship, for any of dozens of reasons. (Passport, money, and Credit card).

My passport has been in 25 countries, and is safely in my possession at all times, with a copy at home, and a copy in my suitcase/hotel/ship.

I also have a passport card, in my wallet, which can get wet, in case I'm swimming. Another item that is so confusing why people would not want it as an additional layer of security of knowing you have official ID's in case you run into an issue. (No, you don't need to tell me you can't fly with it, because everyone knows it by now, but it will be better than not having anything (locked safely in your safe?).

Different strokes for different folks and if they choose to do it differently than you do it then it has no affect on you at all.

I'm Spanish, speak it fluently, and I'm not a local, but I can blend in without anyone noticing. Exactly what is a local, and why do you feel, you can't blend in? Many ports have plenty of different races living in the area. What makes you think also a "local" is going to steal. Why can't it be a person visiting, and having a crime of opportunity?

The middle aged women, with a purse, and diamond rings, and a lanyard around the neck is an easier target simply because the behavior shows, she is careless.

I'm Spanish, speak it fluently, and I'm not a local, but I can blend in without anyone noticing. Exactly what is a local, and why do you feel, you can't blend in? Many ports have plenty of different races living in the area. What makes you think also a "local" is going to steal. Why can't it be a person visiting, and having a crime of opportunity?

The middle aged women, with a purse, and diamond rings, and a lanyard around the neck is an easier target simply because the behavior shows, she is careless.

You are reading quite a bit into one sentence. Maybe someone as well traveled as you can blend in without anyone noticing but most people can't. Their behavior is the giveaway. I agree that the person you describe is a flashing neon sign. And yes, anyone can steal. Why can't I blend in? Because I fit exactly the stereotypical overweight middle aged American look and short of plastic surgery there is little I can do to change that (not to mention the fact that I wearing American clothes and speaking in a New England accent). And "targeting" needn't mean being robbed, it can also mean being singled out by high pressure salespeople trying to get you to pay to pose with their monkey or buy their trinkets or whatever (we called them "Hey Joes" in the Navy).

Different strokes for different folks and if they choose to do it differently than you do it then it has no affect on you at all.

Just common sense to bring ID. That's why the topic is confusing. Why would anyone not bring their ID with them in a different country.

Reading this reminds me of the story in another section of this board about the guy who missed the boat because he thought his son hadn't made it back yet.

I don't think he had a passport at all and ended up having to get one at the embassy but if he had had a passport with him that would have been a step in the process he had to go through that he could have avoided.

I'm traveling with 3 other people in November. I will take my passport with me in case something happens and I miss the ship or need to stay behind (someone is sick or something.) No one else in our group has a passport and I am the more travel savvy person so it just makes sense if it comes down to it that I am the one to stay should something happen.

Just common sense to bring ID. That's why the topic is confusing. Why would anyone not bring their ID with them in a different country.

ID yes, but that doesn't automatically mean passport.

Sparks wasn't even the one who made the comment that S&S cards on a lanyard make cruisers an easy target for thieves. That was someone else. You're spanish, good for you. I'm white and, whether you like it or not, a majority of locals at many of these ports are not. So yes, I'm easily identifiable to the locals, even without my S&S in plain view.

Reading this reminds me of the story in another section of this board about the guy who missed the boat because he thought his son hadn't made it back yet.

I don't think he had a passport at all and ended up having to get one at the embassy but if he had had a passport with him that would have been a step in the process he had to go through that he could have avoided.

I'm traveling with 3 other people in November. I will take my passport with me in case something happens and I miss the ship or need to stay behind (someone is sick or something.) No one else in our group has a passport and I am the more travel savvy person so it just makes sense if it comes down to it that I am the one to stay should something happen.

As I'm sure you already know, passports aren't required on a closed-loop cruise. So it's completely at the discretion of the cruiser to get one or not. They weigh their options, consider the pros and cons, and decide if the possibility of needing one makes it worth it to them. It in no way affects your cruise.

We take our S&S card, our drivers license and always carry copies of our passports and a copy of our travel insurance summary with all pertinent account and phone numbers available on it. These last 2 items always stay in my crossbody travel purse used for ports.

The locals don't need to see a lanyard to identify someone as a tourist, we are quite easy to spot.:)

That's what I thought! I grew up in a tourist spot and we knew the locals from the tourists. My husband didn't even want to wear matching shirts the day we get on the cruise (not a port day, just embarkation day....for ONE picture). His reason? Because he didn't want to look like a tourist. Ummmmm...we are ALL tourists on a cruise ship!!!!

Thank you to all that gave helpful answers.....I will bring our license and S&S cards.

Makes sense.

Personally I never leave my home without some form of photo id in my pocket. It's why I am always surprised at people that suggest not doing so in a foreign country.

Makes sense.

Personally I never leave my home without some form of photo id in my pocket. It's why I am always surprised at people that suggest not doing so in a foreign country.

That's was my exact thought. It's not necessary to bring a passport into port but just a form of ID is a good idea.......