Kids in an inside across the hall

e050377

Hello-

Does anyone know the age that kids can be booked into a room directly next door or across the hall from parents? I am thinking of booking a cruise on NCL. Originally we were thinking of a mini for the 4 of us, but pricing is only $100 more for balcony with inside directly across or $300 more for the balcony next door! My kids are teens, so I feel comfortable with them being in their own room. My TA told me I would have to book the rooms with 1 adult in each, but if I do then one of us will not be able to have the included drink package and there is no reduction in cost for my teen who couldn't drink!

NCL has become very strict regarding at least one person being 21 in each room. I have not heard of anyone recently circumventing this rule.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#age-requirements

You can see the old requirements which NCL has failed to update further down on the link below. There are still people traveling under the old rules which allowed minors in connecting and sometimes "nearby" staterooms, so don't let them confuse you.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

Oh, I figure you knew NCL would make other door access cards and you can sleep where you like. As far as getting UBP for both rooms, the minor in each room would be assigned soda packages and the gratuity on that promo would be reduced that equivalent value.

Hello-

Does anyone know the age that kids can be booked into a room directly next door or across the hall from parents? I am thinking of booking a cruise on NCL. Originally we were thinking of a mini for the 4 of us, but pricing is only $100 more for balcony with inside directly across or $300 more for the balcony next door!

My kids are teens, so I feel comfortable with them being in their own room.

My TA told me I would have to book the rooms with 1 adult in each, but if I do then one of us will not be able to have the included drink package and there is no reduction in cost for my teen who couldn't drink!

Since you feel so comfortable, I would leave the kids at home.

I would CALL on the phone to do the booking. If the 1st agent won't do it, then call back until you get someone who will. Explain the situation. Most cruise lines will allow children to be next to, or across the hall from parents.

Hello-

Does anyone know the age that kids can be booked into a room directly next door or across the hall from parents? I am thinking of booking a cruise on NCL. Originally we were thinking of a mini for the 4 of us, but pricing is only $100 more for balcony with inside directly across or $300 more for the balcony next door! My kids are teens, so I feel comfortable with them being in their own room. My TA told me I would have to book the rooms with 1 adult in each, but if I do then one of us will not be able to have the included drink package and there is no reduction in cost for my teen who couldn't drink!

Yes, and it stinks. We have connecting balconies, my oldest are 16, 19, and 20, and we had to book one of us parents in each cabin. They used to allow kids to be booked on their own in connecting, ajoining, or across the hall, but seemed to change the rule right around when the free packages showed up.

I would CALL on the phone to do the booking. If the 1st agent won't do it, then call back until you get someone who will. Explain the situation. Most cruise lines will allow children to be next to, or across the hall from parents.

I've called NCL three times, three different PCC's, no dice.

Is it not the case that the 1st and 2nd pax in each cabin get one or two perks?

So in the balcony the OP gets the UBP and the teen the soda package plus one other perk each.

And in the inside the husband gets the UBP and the other teen the soda package?

[emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They used to allow kids to be booked on their own in connecting, ajoining, or across the hall, but seemed to change the rule right around when the free packages showed up.

Actually, they changed to the current "at least one over 21" rule in late October, 2016. The allowance of booking only minors in a cabin seemed to be related to the beginning of the promos in late 2014, as before the promos it really didn't matter. At least it was at that time when the smarter PCC's knew how to get it done because of the promos. Prior to 2014 I think it was only allowed at booking for suites, but I'm sure someone will disagree. There was inconsistency in earlier application of the age requirements. I would be surprised to hear anyone has booked that way since last November.

I just called twice and no go. Not a big deal, we can book 1 adult in each cabin. Definitely not booking with original TA. She told me we would pay service charges on 2 alcohol packages per room even if 1 was for a minor and was getting a sida package instead. NCL confirmed both times that we will be charged service fee on 1 alcohol/1 non alcohol per room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

I am booked on NCL Escape in July , party of 4 which includes 2 adults, a 19 yr old and a 17 yr and we had to put one adult in each cabin booking-wise. They wouldn't allow the two kids to be in a cabin alone and we also have a balcony with an interior across from us. :(

NCL was willing to let my 20 year old niece solo in an inside when we were cancelled twice and rebooked from a 3 person suite to 2 person. It is ok when THEY initiate it. However, we did not agree and settled on an Owner's suite that sleeps 4, oh and a chunk of change to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NCL was willing to let my 20 year old niece solo in an inside when we were cancelled twice and rebooked from a 3 person suite to 2 person. It is ok when THEY initiate it. However, we did not agree and settled on an Owner's suite that sleeps 4, oh and a chunk of change to do so.

I am too lazy to look back in your posts for the date they offered that to you. After November, 2016? Suites were often given that ability, but now I have heard many being denied.

I am too lazy to look back in your posts for the date they offered that to you. After November, 2016? Suites were often given that ability, but now I have heard many being denied.

It was offered before but our cruise was in 2017. Do not know if it wiuld have been honored since we agressively pursued other accomodations and did not actually cruise in separate cabins like NCL proposed.

Book one adult and one kid in each room and sleep where you want. you can get extra keys at the concierge, but you can't change the room the seapass is booked to. Insides only get one free at sea and balconies get 2, so its probably worthwhile getting 2 balconies if an extra perk is worth it to you. Also look at booking through the big warehouse that starts with a C and ends with an O. They have an online travel site and you get a store gift card for each room you book. Personally, I prefer having my teens in a next door balcony than across the hall. you might even be able to get connecting. Having the extra bathroom is fantastic.

Is it not the case that the 1st and 2nd pax in each cabin get one or two perks?

So in the balcony the OP gets the UBP and the teen the soda package plus one other perk each.

And in the inside the husband gets the UBP and the other teen the soda package?

[emoji848]

Yes, but it's a much better deal for the 2 adults to get the UBP, and then free gratuities for the other 2. The UBP is worth a lot more than a soda package.

Yes, but it's a much better deal for the 2 adults to get the UBP, and then free gratuities for the other 2. The UBP is worth a lot more than a soda package.

So it's all 'doable' but will cost a couple hundred $? No real issue then?

I will be looking at doing similar on The Breakaway next year, my girls will be 14 and 16 and we could do with the extra space.

We cruised Epic in March...two inside cabins...because my kids are 16 and 12 we had to split our reservation up with one adult in each room because I couldn't book them together per their rules, which was fine with us.

All of us received the beverage packages but I had to call and make the reservation directly with NCL so we would be charged correctly for the service charge on the beverage packages because the soda package is substantially less than the UBP. Each cabin was charged 99.00 for the adult drink package and 9.45 for the soda package.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting...I just booked a balcony and an inside directly across the hall for our March 2018 sailing on the Norwegian Pearl. I got two confirmations. One with my husband and I in the balcony cabin and the other with our two kids (15 & 11 at time of sailing) in the inside. Didn't seem to be an issue.

I have two cabin. Me and DD16 the other is DH and DS15. Me and DH have free UBP the kids have free soda. The kids gratuities were significantly less, I think they were like $10 and the grown ups were $99

This is exactly what we did on the Breakaway for July. 2 inside connecting cabins. We only get free at sea so dh & I have the booze and kids have the soda (and they don't even drink soda.)

When I priced, it was cheaper to have 2 inside cabins than to put all 4 of us in 1 balcony cabin. While I would have loved the balcony, having an extra bathroom with 2 teen girls was definitely the smarter move. ;p

just be aware that on the newer big ships you have to examine deck plans carefully

it may look as if interior rooms are directly opposite balcony in fact the interior rooms are accessed via a separate corridor-its a blank wall opposite the balcony door

could be a nasty surprise if not aware