New Ship 2020

mllewis48

Everything to date has indicated the Nieuw Statendam was delivering fall of 2018 and the next ship 2020. What news do you have that makes the NS a year late?

Sorry I meant 2018!

Just sorry I posted this in the first place since We must have been told a "tall tail" [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would they ever consider naming a ship after a port city in N. America or other parts of Europe? Seattle, Vancouver, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Athens are cities HAL sails too. It is called Holland America Line, so maybe try to be less Holland-centric?l

There is currently such a ship - the Nieuw Amsterdam! (New York)

With Holland America dropping many of its trademark offerings, I would be surprised to see them stay with the Dutch names.

HAL has introduced more Dutch into the line in the past 2 or so years they they had for more than a decade.

I don't believe they would pick such a difficult name, or this far away from construction beginning.

I think it could be s bit of sense of hunor, having some fun. We will see in due time.......... :D

You think they'd have three "Nieuw" ships? Why not just Maasdam V (or is it VI?)

I don't like "Nieuw Statendam." Why didn't they name that one "Statendam" since the previous Statendam is gone?

If they go ahead with Monnickendam, will they ask Monica Lewinski to be godmother? Or maybe Courtney Cox?

How about a simple name.

I agree. No more of this "Nieuw" stuff as in Nieuw Statendam.

Even if the purpose of the naming the new builds "Nieuw" is to appeal to a new generation of cruisers, how many of these good people even know anything about the Maasdams and Ryndams, etc. of the past? What difference does it make?

That's a good point. Holland America missed the boat (pardon the pun) when it came to naming ships.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

How a simple name
I like the two syllable names: Ryndam, Maasdam, Veendam, Zaandam, Noordam, etc. Three syllable come next: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Westerdam, Volendam, Koningsdam, etc. But a four syllable Monnickendam? BOO! :eek:

I like the two syllable names: Ryndam, Maasdam, Veendam, Zaandam, Noordam, etc. Three syllable come next: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Westerdam, Volendam, Koningsdam, etc. But a four syllable Monnickendam? BOO! :eek:

Agree 100%. A long, more uncommon/difficult name will result in who-knows-what kind of nickname folks will give her.

I'm willing to bet this is a more likely explanation.

Lots of interesting speculation going on. On a recent cruise I heard that the nieuw Statendam will have some workers from Thailand instead of mainly Indonesia and the Philippines. Who knows if that is true,

If the Thais are willing to work as hard for less money than the Indonesians and Filippinos expect to see them in ever increasing numbers onboard