Duoro River on Scenic Azure

OhJoyOhBliss

We recently completed our Unforgettable Douro river cruise with Scenic and have nothing but accolades to describe our experience. I am amazed that Cruise Critic doesn't have more information and review opportunities for Scenic river cruise enthusiasts. Maybe being an Australian owned company has something to do with it! Scenic own their own spaceships, in fact the five star Azure and their cheaper 4 star soon to be launched Emerald, were each built in Porto by a local shipping company which was at risk of closing prior to being awarded the Scenic contract. Everything is included in the price for Scenic Azure. No extra charges for drinks, gratuities, tours etc. one payment covers it all. All staff aboard Azure and Emerald are Portuguese and many are from Porto. This was integral in creating the wonderful atmosphere on our cruise. The staff are so delighted to be sharing their country with cruisers and there is a sense of honour amongst them to be given an opportunity to work for Scenic. It is my second river cruise with Scenic and although my first was fabulous in every way, this cruise had an extra atmosphere I've not felt before.

The ship is stunning and very well designed for a smaller spaceship. The food was fantastic; compliments to the chef and the brilliant pastry chef! The luxury coaches are driven by exemplary drivers which is reassuring when navigating very narrow, winding roads. We also visited Provensade, a UNESCO world heritage village high up in the Douro Valley. This village is only open to local Portuguese tourists and Scenic visitors. The Douro Valley is stunningly beautiful and even though we sailed only in daylight hours due to Port authority's controls, we still visited many Villages, monasteries, Wineries etc., as part of our Freechoice tour selection. Although most of us were Aussies, there several Canadian and British people on board. We had the most fabulous time on the Unforgettable Douro.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you enjoy your trip on the Rhine half as much as we enjoyed our Douro, you're in for a fantastic time! Many of the guests were on their 4th and 5th Scenic trip, it was on,y our second; we felt like novices.....he he

Have taken two Scenic river cruises and hope to make the Duoro number three! Those of us who love Scenic try to keep quiet about them, don't want to attract so many people that we can't get a booking ;)

Oh joy oh Bliss so enjoyed reading about your cruise and looks to be that you had a wonderful time.

Have some folks posting on Cruise Critic Scenic Roll Call and they are posting photos of The New Royal Owners Suites and are you sitting down. They Lopk like a Cheap Hotel. Very Drab looking and no pictures on the walls folks on the ship are thinking that they didn't get the furniture before the ship set sail.

Very strange for a company such as Scenic . Doesn't look to be redesigned to the standards of the new ships at all.

Cheers

Ooroo.

Gary

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I have just got home from the Scenic Azure Lisbon to Porto Everything about it was fantastic.

The ship was gorgeous. It was very modern. Lots of black glass and chrome, but still felt very inviting and comfortable. The staff were exceptional. This was my first Scenic river cruise, having done 4 with APT.

I could not fault anything.

• 1 month later...
This sounds fabulous! We loved our Scenic cruise on the Rhine last year and can't wait to take our next Scenic cruise, the Rhone in France, in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi sunsetbeachgirl,

My wife and I recently (June 13th) completed the Paris-Nice cruise on the Scenic Sapphire. You'll thoroughly enjoy the trip and if you're unlucky you'll have Nick as Cruise Director.

Scenic is the best!

Have taken two Scenic river cruises and hope to make the Duoro number three! Those of us who love Scenic try to keep quiet about them, don't want to attract so many people that we can't get a booking ;)

That may not last long since Scenic has started advertising on PBS during the Great British Baking Show. Our Scenic cruise in June had six Americans aboard, four in our party and one other couple.

Thanks for the post OhJoy. We are dedicated ocean cruisers that have been looking hard at Scenic. My main concern is about number of pax on shore excursions. We have stopped taking ship's shore ex almost completely on ocean cruises, finding we have get a great deal more out of small, privately-arranged tours. Could you tell me a little more about how shore excursions are run? How big are the groups?

Thanks for the post OhJoy. We are dedicated ocean cruisers that have been looking hard at Scenic. My main concern is about number of pax on shore excursions. We have stopped taking ship's shore ex almost completely on ocean cruises, finding we have get a great deal more out of small, privately-arranged tours. Could you tell me a little more about how shore excursions are run? How big are the groups?

On our Scenic cruise, the group size was the same as the other lines we have cruised with. If a bus tour, the bus was generally filled. If a walking tour, the size varied based on interest level and ranged from 10-20.

We also used the Tailormade to plan days on our own.

Kate-AHF, River cruising is a much smaller affair than ocean cruising. On the Duoro, we had 90 people on the ship which was two bus loads for excursions and each had their own Guides. From Budapest to Amsterdam we had around 160 people on the ship which was usually 3 busloads. It's a more intimate setting and we didn't have any problems going on excursions with other passengers. There was usually about an hour free time after the guided tour which worked well for us, but may not be everyone's cup of tea. As the ships sail each day, or night as a rule, there is likely to be less time in port than on ocean cruises, but the scenery while sailing is beautiful.

Kate-AHF, River cruising is a much smaller affair than ocean cruising. On the Duoro, we had 90 people on the ship which was two bus loads for excursions and each had their own Guides. From Budapest to Amsterdam we had around 160 people on the ship which was usually 3 busloads. It's a more intimate setting and we didn't have any problems going on excursions with other passengers...
I have never been on Scenic, but you are saying groups of 45 to 55? I would find groups of that size unacceptable. On the far cheaper lines I usually sail on (20+ river cruises) I have never had groups that large.. Those group sizes are NOT "intimate".

Thank you all. That information was a big help. I don't think that, in areas where we want to cruise in the near future and I have definite opinions (Douro and Normandy) a river cruise if the right answer for us. It might be the answer in areas where I'm more willing to take what they offer me, like Bordeaux and the Danube. However, 45 pax on a bus is out of the question, and I can't say I'd be too happy with 30.

On our AMA cruises (not Douro) they would tend to fill the buses -- for the transport part to the tour -- but then break us up into smaller groups for the walking tour. It really wasn't a problem because the European coaches are very nice and have good PA systems so you could easily hear any narration during the drive. The important part is the walking tour, and there the groups were small and divided by walking speed.