Golden or Star to Alaska

I've been on both, and I can't say that I preferred one over the other. They pretty much identical. We had probably the best waiter we ever had when we were on the Star, so I remember that ship fondly. But the Golden was great too.

We've been on the Golden for 42 days and the Star for 23 days. The Golden and Star were the second and third Grand class ships. The Golden had Window Suites added a few years ago and the Star was the first ship to get a Thermal Suite. Other than those two differences, they have all of the same features.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We want to book an Alaskan cruise next September.
Be aware September is discounted for storm chasers. Consider May if you want savings, but be greated by statistically dryer port weather. Otherwise, I like July for warmth.

I'm on the Ruby to Alaska in a couple weeks. I've been wanting to go on the Ruby for years, but we sailed on the Star to Hawaii and loved both the closed in pool and the Vista lounge. The closed pool would be preferable to Alaska.

Be aware September is discounted for storm chasers. Consider May if you want savings, but be greated by statistically dryer port weather. Otherwise, I like July for warmth.

Our first cruise was a 10 day SF/Alaska round trip in September 2011 on Sea Princess. Everywhere we went people in the ports commented that we must have brought the weather with us. We had absolutely beautiful weather in Alaska. We had a storm the first night and day out of SF but after that it was tee shirt weather.