St. Maartens weekend vs cruise to Half Moon Cay?

lboiv001

I concur with this. I see a cruise as a really fun, vacation-esque scouting trip for future planned ventures, giving you a lot of small tasty bites of varied places in a relatively inexpensive way.

I only wish I could fly or ferry to JUST HMC, but that is not possible (unless anyone here knows how to do that....might be a new subject thread).

There isn't any way to take a ferry or fly to HMC. It is a private island built by the Carnival Corporation and used by Holland America and Carnival cruise lines. The majority of the workers do not live on the island.

The BBQ is set up by which ever ship(s) are there for a few hours of the day. The bars are supplied by the ship(s) that are there that day. When there isn't a ship there -- nothing is open.

That's not what I am finding....but then, I wouldn't want to cruise without doing the excursions and sipping rum. ;)

I found on Kayak.com that it would be around $1500 for 2 nights with hotel, and that doesn't include food or any activities. The average price for 2 in an interior cabin was $1150, and of course all the good food is included.

This looks about right - air fare from Miami would come to about $1200 for two and just minimal hotel would be $150 per night. Five day Carnival from Miami including drinks and tips would likely come to about $1,500.

I have been to St. Maartens and St. Thomas and loved it enough to want to fly to St. Maartens for a weekend. Half Moon Cay is at the top of my list to cruise to next but I need opinions from cruisers who have been to both, because right now I can only afford either a cruise (to HMC) or a weekend in St. Maartens, but not both, and I need to decide which one to take my 20 year old daughter to this summer, who has never done a cruise nor flown to the caribbean.

Great Bay in St. Maartens seems to have the same emerald green water and soft sand (best jetski experience in my life!!!) as what I see on youtube at HMC, though I could be wrong here. I am also concerned about the fact that cruises sometimes skip HMC due to weather or water conditions, and I would hate to miss this golden opportunity for her to see this place because of that fact.

I am leaning towards flying down to St. Maartens for the weekend, maybe going in Mid-June. Is it way too hot down there for this timing?

Thanks in advance.

I would fly to St. Maarten in an instant. The temperature is pretty constant year round, and there is always a breeze. The problem with the cruise for HMC is that you have a 50- 50 chance of missing it, and I don't like those odds if that is the reason I am taking a specific cruise.

:confused:I

I would fly to St. Maarten in an instant. The temperature is pretty constant year round, and there is always a breeze. The problem with the cruise for HMC is that you have a 50- 50 chance of missing it, and I don't like those odds if that is the reason I am taking a specific cruise.

I would also pick St. Maarten - while I think you have better than those even odds of getting to HMC, you would only be there for a few hours, and it is still a Carnival ship, likely also to call at Nassau. Because the airfare is the big thing, it is silly to fly for just two days on St. Maarten - while the ship would almost certainly be four or five days; at least deal with the same lengths of time.

As someone else pointed out, Phillipsburg is not the best place to stay. St. Martaan is one of our favorite islands. The food is amazing. You might want to consider the French side, St.Martin as well.

Where is your favorite place to stay? I am only familiar with Phillipsburg, since I had a limited time on the island during the cruise, and would be content in one of the hotels facing the water there. I loved my jet ski experience in the bay.

Simpson Bay sure looks good, as does many other potential spots. My daughter will want to shop for sure, so I think I will take her to the Marigot market before she spends all of her money in Phillipsburg.

Where is your favorite place to stay? I am only familiar with Phillipsburg, since I had a limited time on the island during the cruise, and would be content in one of the hotels facing the water there. I loved my jet ski experience in the bay.

Simpson Bay sure looks good, as does many other potential spots. My daughter will want to shop for sure, so I think I will take her to the Marigot market before she spends all of her money in Phillipsburg.

We stay at Oyster Bay on Dawn Beach (our favorite), and have also stayed at Grand Case Beach Club - and L'Esplanade at Grand Case (lovely place, but not on beach) - also once at Sandy Ground -only a fair beach and tired accommodations, but low cost.

St Maarten all the way!!
This. We have been to Half Moon a couple of times and there is nothing there but beach and and picnic area. The other ports are usually Nassau, Freeport or Grand Turk. For us, we will skip the Bahamas.