Birth certificate

kaymkay

Is there a certain birth certificate needed. I am from Tx, and I have the short one. There is a long one available. Can the short one be used or do I need to get the long one?

I feel like I remember that the birth certificate must have a "raised seal" on it, but that was years ago before I got a passport

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It can be a photocopy, doesn't have to have a raised seal. However it has to be a photocopy of an actual birth certificate, not the paper the hospital gives. So many people think those novelty papers are actual birth certificates.

Short one for cruises/ long one for passport application.

Not necessarily. My 16 y.o. recently got her passport. The mini size was fine. That's all we got (Texas) and have never had a problem with it on cruises or anywhere else. As long it is the official document with the raised seal, you should be fine.

It can be a photocopy, doesn't have to have a raised seal. However it has to be a photocopy of an actual birth certificate, not the paper the hospital gives. So many people think those novelty papers are actual birth certificates.

I just double checked this on the Carnival site, and you are right! I can't believe they let you use a COPY!

I personally would never step off U.S. soil without a passport. Too many personal or accidental things could happen where you had to leave the cruise, you would be screwed.

Of course that is you personally, but the risk of "something" happening for most people is very low so if they feel comfortable with the risk that's their decision. And if something happens one is far from "screwed". There will be a delay while arrangements are made and the delay could be a few days, but travel insurance can take the bite out of some of that sting. I just left US soil on Friday to drive up to Montreal for the weekend and left my passport locked in our safe deposit box.

I just double checked this on the Carnival site, and you are right! I can't believe they let you use a COPY!

They let you use a copy because the DHS regulations allow it, otherwise it wouldn't be accepted. CBP checks all passengers during the cruise through databases, which is why they allow the copy.

A copy can be used as long as they can see the seal.

Birth certificate must have the "I" next to the date it was filed like this one in the picture and will be the same as a long form. When we went to get our passport my wife had a long form and I had a short form. They told me if I didn't have "I" then I would not have been able to get my passport

d195a0b1a2940c2393e80971ccbaed4d.jpg

A copy can be used as long as they can see the seal.

Birth certificate must have the "I" next to the date it was filed like this one in the picture and will be the same as a long form. When we went to get our passport my wife had a long form and I had a short form. They told me if I didn't have "I" then I would not have been able to get my passport

d195a0b1a2940c2393e80971ccbaed4d.jpg

that's only for a passport. I'm taking my kids in July without passports. That's the whole reason why we are cruisin. I just told them them they are not allowed to break a leg.😃

that's only for a passport. I'm taking my kids in July without passports. That's the whole reason why we are cruisin. I just told them them they are not allowed to break a leg.😃

I was meaning for a short form to be the same as a long form. It has to have the "I" beside the date

Of course that is you personally, but the risk of "something" happening for most people is very low so if they feel comfortable with the risk that's their decision. And if something happens one is far from "screwed". There will be a delay while arrangements are made and the delay could be a few days, but travel insurance can take the bite out of some of that sting. I just left US soil on Friday to drive up to Montreal for the weekend and left my passport locked in our safe deposit box.

To each his/her own but if there is an emergency at home, you will want to get there as soon as possible, not be delayed a few days.

To each his/her own but if there is an emergency at home, you will want to get there as soon as possible, not be delayed a few days.

It was a chance I was willing to take and it is a chance that millions each year are willing to take. It would take something quite catastrophic to get me to return home and the odds of that happening during such a small window are quite low.

So "most people" who eschew the need for a passport will buy travel insurance? Talk about conflicted risk. Say you need to be medically evacuated on a helicopter but do not have a passport for air travel back to the US.......oopsie!

So "most people" who eschew the need for a passport will buy travel insurance? Talk about conflicted risk. Say you need to be medically evacuated on a helicopter but do not have a passport for air travel back to the US.......oopsie!

And how many people have that need? If you are being medically evacuated by helicopter than it's very likely via USCG helo and there are provisions in the regulations to waive passport requirements in such circumstances. I do get travel insurance but that too is a personal decision based upon one's analysis of the risks involved. I have no idea how many people do or do not get travel insurance.

Passports are a hot topic. Did you know you don't need a passport to leave the country? Stepping off US soil, you do not need a passport, nor does any government agency check.

Passports are needed to get into a country. Did you notice that you never need a passport when stepping off a ship, in the Caribbean? What about Mexico?

So entering back into the USA, you need a passport, or proper ID. If you have an extreme emergency, and need to get back, and you are a US citizen, you can and will get back. You will go through additional checks, and be delayed, but you will get back. You will not be stranded.

Passports are a hot topic. Did you know you don't need a passport to leave the country? Stepping off US soil, you do not need a passport, nor does any government agency check.

Passports are needed to get into a country. Did you notice that you never need a passport when stepping off a ship, in the Caribbean? What about Mexico?

So entering back into the USA, you need a passport, or proper ID. If you have an extreme emergency, and need to get back, and you are a US citizen, you can and will get back. You will go through additional checks, and be delayed, but you will get back. You will not be stranded.

Yep. I've heard that. I'm we are going with no passports or insurance. I have my kids with me so there can't be an emergency back home 😁I know anything can happen

A small gamble.

So "most people" are comfortable accepting the risk of not having a passport, BUT buy travel insurance? Too funny.

I didn't say that, I merely pointed out that if one were worried about any extra expenses involved that travel insurance is an option. (Sorry, didn't realize you were going to delete your post.)

That's this guy. Why do I need a passport? Don't need one. Why would I spend 300 on insurance? Don't need it. See you in July?,

The odds are heavily in your favor (and back in the day I also told my kids not to break a leg:)).