Anyone done a transatlantic cruise?

Jo and Rob

Hi

We've just booked our first transatlantic cruise on Britannia and I would love to know what your experiences have been. Did the sea days get too much? Was there enough entertainment during the day? Were there any special events on?

What tips would you have for a transatlantic newbie?

We went to the Caribbean (and back!) last Christmas/New Year on Aurora. It was 24 nights and we had some slight concerns beforehand. However we loved it so much we've just booked 2018/19 for a similar cruise but on Arcadia. At no point did the sea days become tedious, in fact we were never bored and would happily have had more sea days, and after the five port days we're looking forward to the relaxing sea days home ;)There were loads of activities on, whether dancing (I did line!), quizzes, deck games, watercolour lessons (very popular and good), talks by guest speakers. We like reading so took books with us, but rarely got any time to read. I'm in my late 40s my husband is in his 50s so gives you an idea. I'll post a copy of a sea day horizon for you. Obviously it was Christmas and on Aurora, but I'm sure it'll be similar... I've not posted photos before, so will need to work out how! Tips... can you 'entertain' yourselves? Do you like relaxing with nothing but the sea (and maybe flying fishes!) to watch? Or do you need external stimulus and entertainment? As I said, we enjoy time to ourselves, so at no point we're bored. We usually tried to do two activities a day as well, sometimes three. We chose freedom dining as we were unsure about sharing with the same people for 24 nights.

We've done two on P&O, and one on QM2.

We loved them, but we love days at sea compared to days in ports. If don't enjoy days at sea not sure how you'll get on.

There are things to do, you'll have to study the daily paper (Horizon) to see what's available.

The night sky is something to behold - stars right down to the horizon, and watching a thunderstorm at night from a distance is amazing.

Presuming you booked going from here, it'll get warmer and warmer, and you'll start to see flying fish, which are great fun.

You'll love it I'm sure! 😊

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

We came back from the Caribbean, but I think that stopped at Madeira on the way. We also sailed out to the US and back. You just get into a routine and don't really get bored. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are sailing one-way Port side cabins are better Westbound and Starboard side cabins are better Eastbound. Balconies are well worth having as on the consecutive sea days period open deck space is at a premium with nobody able to be off the ship on excursions. I prefer fly out sail home in March and arriving the Friday instead of the Saturday to bag an extra day in Caribbean and getting the long flight over with up front. Tick "No upgrades" if your cabin is on the better side of the ship in case your lower grade forward or aft cabin is upgraded to a "higher grade" midships cabin on the less favourable side.

I like a big table share and with many sea days I think first sitting in Club Dining at 18.30 will extend your evenings out as you will not be rushing back from excursions! Many of the port days can be used as beach days and there is always an intermediate Canaries or similar stop a few days from Southampton.

Regards John

If you are sailing one-way Port side cabins are better Westbound and Starboard side cabins are better Eastbound. Balconies are well worth having as on the consecutive sea days period open deck space is at a premium with nobody able to be off the ship on excursions. I prefer fly out sail home in March and arriving the Friday instead of the Saturday to bag an extra day in Caribbean and getting the long flight over with up front. Tick "No upgrades" if your cabin is on the better side of the ship in case your lower grade forward or aft cabin is upgraded to a "higher grade" midships cabin on the less favourable side.

I like a big table share and with many sea days I think first sitting in Club Dining at 18.30 will extend your evenings out as you will not be rushing back from excursions! Many of the port days can be used as beach days and there is always an intermediate Canaries or similar stop a few days from Southampton.

Regards John

Good point about the dining, we went freedom for this reason. It was our first time and we prefer it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done an East-West crossing on the QE2 many years ago now, and a West-East repositioning cruise on the Galaxy back when she was in service. I love the relaxation of a crossing and would absolutely do it again. I've never really noticed a huge amount of overcrowding, as everyone tends to find their own rhythm to the day and if you just take things as they come, you can dovetail with others pretty well.

We thoroughly enjoyed our T/A it was the most relaxing cruise we have ever done, we are just looking at booking both ways next year. we didn't find the sea days boring at all plenty to do if you want it, if not just relax and enjoy the view.

Yes... we did our first there and back again on Ventura last year, and loved it so much we repeated it this year- and will be on again next Jan.

One thing we found was that you make some good friends, because there's so much more time to talk to people...I think there's 12 people we've met on TAs who we'll be seeing again next time- and it's really just because we had plenty of time for relaxed chatting.

We have always enjoyed the crossings, very relaxing. Sea conditions can vary from day to day, we have ranged from flat calm to force 8. There is plenty to do around the ship if you like to keep busy.

We have done three maiden transatlantics, the first on Ventura was the best calm days at sea and excellent entertainment as it was a Tate Modern cruise.

The second on Azura was rough as we were late leaving Southampton to avoid the remains of a hurricane. We also changed port from Madeira to the Azures. It did improve later in the crossing but it was never like the Ventura crossing with long calm and sunny days.

Our worse crossing was on Britannia, little entertainment and Madeira was once again dropped in favour of Tenerife. We normally love sea days but I have never been so bored at sea.

The crossing is what you make it, the weather gets warmer each day and you gain an hour in time each day during the night.

At least when you get to Barbados you know it is going to be hot and the sun will shine.

We had nine days of rough weather when we went to Hawaii and I would not want to repeat that.

It is what you make it.

We do round trips from Southampton every year as we love them. We've done up to 70 days. You get to know more people and it's total relaxation. Some of the activities this year included choir and zumba, Salsa dancing and a charity Fete, as well as all the usuals. We also like the bigger ships for cruises like this because you can ring the changes by eating in different venues and going to different types of entertainment, making the sea days all seem different. Britannia is the perfect ship for this. Are the children going with you? We haven't seen many children onboard- but then we don't cruise during school holidays.

The weather can be variable of course and we prefer East to West because the weather improves each day. As others have said a balcony is well worth the money. We certainly go prepared in case the weather is bad so load our iPads with videos, music, books and audio-books. You've cruised a lot (we met you in Bilbao years ago!) so you've done sea days. You're very sociable and I'm sure you'd be fine on a TA - but only you know for sure.

We do round trips from Southampton every year as we love them. We've done up to 70 days. You get to know more people and it's total relaxation. Some of the activities this year included choir and zumba, Salsa dancing and a charity Fete, as well as all the usuals. We also like the bigger ships for cruises like this because you can ring the changes by eating in different venues and going to different types of entertainment, making the sea days all seem different. Britannia is the perfect ship for this. Are the children going with you? We haven't seen many children onboard- but then we don't cruise during school holidays.

The weather can be variable of course and we prefer East to West because the weather improves each day. As others have said a balcony is well worth the money. We certainly go prepared in case the weather is bad so load our iPads with videos, music, books and audio-books. You've cruised a lot (we met you in Bilbao years ago!) so you've done sea days. You're very sociable and I'm sure you'd be fine on a TA - but only you know for sure.

Hello again!

We are sailing from West to East so it will get cooler rather than warmer as we go. I'm sailing with my Mum not the children or Rob. We have got a balcony cabin I thought with a lot of sea days it would be especially nice to sit and chill.

We will be sailing in March starting in Barbados, then Dominica, St Maarten, British Virgin Islands and the Azores before reaching Southampton. Am I right in thinking the weather should be good until the Azores? What do they do about evening entertainment. The acts would have to stay on board for a lot of sea days. I hope it isn't over reliant on the ship cast as I love to see the guest entertainers.

I'm assuming we can walk off and pick up tours in the Caribbean. I normally pre-book but am hoping for some cheap tours at the quayside.

Hello again!

We are sailing from West to East so it will get cooler rather than warmer as we go. I'm sailing with my Mum not the children or Rob. We have got a balcony cabin I thought with a lot of sea days it would be especially nice to sit and chill.

We will be sailing in March starting in Barbados, then Dominica, St Maarten, British Virgin Islands and the Azores before reaching Southampton. Am I right in thinking the weather should be good until the Azores? What do they do about evening entertainment. The acts would have to stay on board for a lot of sea days. I hope it isn't over reliant on the ship cast as I love to see the guest entertainers.

I'm assuming we can walk off and pick up tours in the Caribbean. I normally pre-book but am hoping for some cheap tours at the quayside.

Weather should be good up to the Azores. Easy to get taxis/tours in the Caribbean - they have it off to a fine art. Acts which might get on in BVI will have to stay on until the Azores, so not sure what entertainment you will get.

Hello again!

Hello again Jo

Sue you'll both enjoy it - some special time together.

Yes you can easily pick up tours in the Caribbean. Last year we had 2 days in St Maarten and did a pre-booked day pass at a hotel one day then the usual shopping / beach another day. I know you've been in the Caribbean before (saw Rob's videos) but not sure if you've been to St Maarten which is great for duty free shopping. However one year we did a local bus to Marigot on the French side which was great and I can tell you more about that if you like. We pre-booked in Dominica and I cannot tell you how much we loved that. It is the most beautiful, natural, under-developed island in the Caribbean and we had a great driver. In Tortola (BVI) you'll dock at the new terminal and there's numerous open-sided 'buses' which will take you on a tour of the island, including time on Cane Garden Beach. No booking required and I think it's $25.

For the first time ever, we booked a tour in the Azores this year and got a group from the ship to join us. The weather was atrocious and I felt so guilty :loudcry:. I'd say if it's your first time enjoy walking round the town. There's a couple of botanic gardens well worth a visit and there's just an old-fashioned atmosphere which we just enjoy and find relaxing. After 5 or so days at sea, it's good to just find your land legs. Sure you'll enjoy yourself. Now we're retired, we're really busy and have lots of hobbies / do lots of holidays and short breaks but the TA is the highlight of the year.

Particularly this year on Ventura we found that the Headliners had all the time off when we were in The Caribbean (they were soooo....happy!) so yes, most of their performances were pre- and post-Caribbean. However we did have other entertainers who left / joined at Ponta Delgada so there was a mixture. Remember you'll also have the Limelight on Britannia and even on our next 14 nighter on Britannia we've got 3 nights in Limelight with Cheryl Baker, Claire Sweeney and Darren Day and there's also Dean Andrews for whom we haven't booked .... yet!

Edited by tartanexile81