Los Angeles port

Nanny2Trey

Hotels in Long Beach would be your best bet, I think.

Some have stayed on the Queen Mary, but with mixed reviews, but it would be fun to contrast the ships.

It would be a 10 minute ride or so to San Pedro.

Have you searched CC West Coast Ports?

David

Doing Pacific Coast cruise 10/1 out of Los Angeles. Haven't cruised from there in quite some time. Where in Los Angeles is the port located? Any hotel suggestions? Thanks

Linda

Lots of people are staying at the doubletree in San Pedro. Check out the roll call for more details. We are also on that cruise

Long Beach is about 10 miles away from the port in San Pedro. It can get confusing because like Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, there are two ports in the Los Angeles are only a few miles apart. Make sure whatever arrangements you make are for the "World Cruise Center - The Port of Los Angeles" and not the "Long Beach Cruise Terminal".

The hotels near Long Beach (by Queen Mary) are generally nicer than the ones near San Pedro (Port of Los Angeles) unless you are staying at Terranea Resort (10 miles west of San Pedro) . BTW, the Westin at Long Beach is where the Long Beach Global Entry interview office located.

If you are going mainly for the cruise and not to tour Los Angeles ahead of time or afterwards, I would try to save a little money and just stay at a hotel by the airport and head on out to the port on the morning of the cruise. If you would rather get a flavor of San Pedro (I am not impressed but maybe you will be), then by all means, I would recommend finding a hotel closer to the port.

I was actually booked to go on this cruise but had to cancel as my niece is getting married that weekend. It should be a good cruise!

A few years ago we stayed on the Queen Mary before going on a short Carnival cruise (the Carnival terminal is right next to the Queen Mary). It should just be a short ride to San Pedro, though. We are going on the 9/24 Infinity Pacific Coastal, and may stay there again the night before. I don't think people realize how nice the experience is when staying on the Queen Mary - if you are any fan of history. The "hotel rooms" are the former 1st Class staterooms, and one can only wonder who may have stayed in your room - Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Queen Elizabeth (as a child), Winston Churchill, and the list goes on. So much is open to see, and you can self-guide and read information plaques and look at famous people aboard all day long! Fun to compare a historic Ocean Liner vs. modern Cruise Ship. Yes, it is old and not full of "new modern amenities". But well worth consideration...:)

We stayed at the DoubleTree and felt it was a very nice hotel and good location for sailing out of San Pedro. The San Pedro area itself isn't all that interesting, but it would be a much short taxi ride from the DoubleTree than from a Long Beach hotel.

I believe that the DT still provides complimentary shuttle service to the port. We have stayed there many times and that has always been the case. They will also transport guests to local restaurants and even make a stop at Von's for wine purchases.

Crown Plaza has $5 charge for shuttle service to the pier. That hotel is located with easy walking access to restaurants and wine purchases.

• 4 months later...
The hotels near Long Beach (by Queen Mary) are generally nicer than the ones near San Pedro (Port of Los Angeles) unless you are staying at Terranea Resort (10 miles west of San Pedro) . BTW, the Westin at Long Beach is where the Long Beach Global Entry interview office located.

That is great info...it should be shared on the roll call...GE is a great program, and if you don't happen to live near a big city, and there are times open, it would be perfect time to do the interview!

Traffic is SO BAD. I for sure recommend staying the night before at a hotel.

This is coming from a guy who will fly in the day of 90% of the time and just walk onto the ship. You cannot do that w/ LA d/t the traffic.

Traffic isn't that bad (by LA standards) heading to the pier on a Sunday morning. We live 70 miles east of San Pedro and can easily make it to the port in an hour. From LAX it should take around 20 minutes. I used to drive that exact route every day many years ago. Traffic is far worse now during the week but on weekend mornings it usually not too bad.

Traffic isn't that bad (by LA standards) heading to the pier on a Sunday morning. We live 70 miles east of San Pedro and can easily make it to the port in an hour. From LAX it should take around 20 minutes. I used to drive that exact route every day many years ago. Traffic is far worse now during the week but on weekend mornings it usually not too bad.

I disagree, respectfully of course

We have been out of that port many times and stay at either the Double Tree or the Crown Plaza, both nice. You can often get one of them easily through Priceline. Both cater to cruise passengers.

We love the Hilton Double Tree too, and found we could get the same price directly though there phone center than Priceline. The remodel turner out nice,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Doing Pacific Coast cruise 10/1 out of Los Angeles. Haven't cruised from there in quite some time. Where in Los Angeles is the port located? Any hotel suggestions? Thanks

Linda

Have you signed up for the roll call...same questions there, or try the port board