Why I'm leaving RCCL and you should too!

When did Carnival start having non refundable deposits on their suites?:confused:

Bill

Maybe they are referring to the bookings made on board. Carnival's new policy is that the only rate you can book onboard is the Early Saver Rate, which has a non-refundable deposit. You used to be able to book a past guest rate or other rates with a refundable deposit when you were onboard, but that option is no longer available.

We book mostly GS or above on RCCL, so no more booking on board for us if the deposit is non-refundable. Back in December 2016 I asked my TA to find a GS on the Liberty. Now that DH is no longer working, the only caveat was that school had to be in session! She found one date with availability at a decent price in May of 2018. We grabbed it. However, who knows what life will bring between now and Feb 2018 when the final payment is due. If I have to cancel, I for one will not feel guilty for holding the suite.

We got blindsided by a lay off in December of 2015 and were forced to cancel an Azamara cruise and several other RCCL cruises. Thank goodness, all but $200 on Azamara was refundable.

If cruise lines go to all refundable deposits then we will go back to only booking all inclusive resorts and take the cancel for any reason insurance that gives 100% back, except for the insurance premium. Our deposits on those trips,even including airfare have been way less than the $1000 we have to put down on a GS on RCCL. We will only be out the $129.00 per person insurance, far less than a GS cruise deposit.

Edited by DebJ14

Wouldn't travel insurance with a "Cancel for any reason" clause through an independent company take care of that problem? I've done that in the past and had to cancel and got 100% of anything I had paid up unto the point of cancellation.

Most of the 3rd party cancellation insurance covers only 75 to 80%. There is cancel for any reason available from tour operators for land based vacations that covers 100%, but I have yet to find a policy that covers cruises 100% unless you cancel for a covered reason.

To the best of my knowledge non-refundable deposit in suites GS or higher takes effect 1 July 17 for all bookings. Non-refundable deposit for GS or higher when booked on ship believed started in April. In addition, any changes to the booking results in $100 change fee per person.

This includes the US bookings

To the best of my knowledge non-refundable deposit in suites GS or higher takes effect 1 July 17 for all bookings. Non-refundable deposit for GS or higher when booked on ship believed started in April. In addition, any changes to the booking results in $100 change fee per person.

This includes the US bookings

I guess we will find out in five days.

Wow, kind of a jerk aren't you? I'll bet you are fun at parties. When I go to book my next RCI cruise 12-18 months out if there is a no refund policy I will also be done with them. I don't mind a cutoff a few months out, but 1.5 years no refund policy is insane.

Thanks for letting us know your decision, make sure the door doesn´t hit you on the way out. Unfortunately I don´t see a mass Exodus and People following you out big time.

I have no Problem with this and I don´t have a Problem if it´s a spread out policy for all bookings. It would only Level the playing field internationally.

Oh yeah and while you are on your way out, the policy is not unfair in my eyes and yes you come across like a crybaby and I might add Dramaqueen.

Are you telling me, we cancelled our 11 RCCL cruises for nothing?

So you don't wish to hold a business accountable for behaviour unfriendly to the consumer? I'll laugh if you have to cancel one of your 11 cruises for some reason and you are out your cruise fare.

I don't mind a cutoff a few months out, but 1.5 years no refund policy is insane.

Welcome to the insane world outside of the NA where that has been the policy for just about ever.

Check back in 2+ weeks when this is rolled out but non refundable deposit bookings are very likely coming and perhaps not just for suites. BTW, this policy is still generous in that you don't lose the whole deposit (like in other markets) but only $100 pp. Funny, people are fine with losing their insurance cost when they cancel (ironically about $100) but are up in arms about RCI's fee (which in essence is like insurance).

Welcome to the insane world outside of the NA where that has been the policy for just about ever.

Check back in 2+ weeks when this is rolled out but non refundable deposit bookings are very likely coming and perhaps not just for suites. BTW, this policy is still generous in that you don't lose the whole deposit (like in other markets) but only $100 pp. Funny, people are fine with losing their insurance cost when they cancel (ironically about $100) but are up in arms about RCI's fee (which in essence is like insurance).

What about the airlines where the entire fare is non-refundable (though if you want to spend more, you can get a refundable fare).

At this point, all signs show your can get a lower rate (most reported about$100), but if you cancel our switch to a different date, you loose$100 of the deposit. Unless you are switching over and over, it is no big deal in my mind. It may let them be more consistent in pricing, since Oriole won't be booking 30 cruises, then just cancelling when it gets closer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Wow, kind of a jerk aren't you? I'll bet you are fun at parties. When I go to book my next RCI cruise 12-18 months out if there is a no refund policy I will also be done with them. I don't mind a cutoff a few months out, but 1.5 years no refund policy is insane.

Effective July 1, 2017 RCI is initiated a non-refundable deposit program https://loyaltoyoualways.com/service/nonrefundable/

Hi George C- will you do a post about your Liberty cruise? Wondering if the outside area of the SL is open and who the current concierge is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the airlines where the entire fare is non-refundable (though if you want to spend more, you can get a refundable fare).

That is why I try to fly Southwest as much as possible. If something comes up and I have to change my plans I may not get my money back but I also am not charged anything for changing. They seem to be pretty understanding that life happens.