Escape - Food Republic

js

Hi.

I am sailing the Escape in July. I've sailed the Breakaway a few times and Getaway in February but both didn't have a Food Republic. I'm guessing I want to eat dinner here one evening. My dh and I are celebrating my 50th birthday and the adult kids will be home with our dog LOL

I have two Platinum dinners and three UDP dinners and although I made ressies already for July, I could cancel one night and book Food Republic. Is it worth it to use a UDP credit? I guess it would if it were taking the place of one of our dinners (the other nights we planned on eating in the Haven).

Can anyone give me some information? I read that people love Food Republic but not sure really what it is and how formal. I looked on my reservations and I don't see an option for me to book it in advance. Once I'm onboard can it be booked or is it just walk up like O'Sheehans?

Thank you all so much!

First, the Food Republic does not accept SDP/UDP. "Cash" Only.

Second, the Food Republic does not accept reservations. First come first serve.

You have an iPad on the table and page through the menu. Select the items you want (mostly small dishes which makes it easy to try a whole bunch of different items). Once you select what you want, you slide your room card and the food shows up. You keep ordering until you're full.

c9cd338ec5f5e9312f70f28a0cc5e95c.jpg

e74fe659768c9e3620a68c9d0795212c.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

ahhh, I just googled it and see information and the menu. Think I will go here but wondering about the UDP if I should just skip Tappenaki and do Food Republic. Although my dh likes the hibachi, I'm really not a fan for a nice relaxing dinner LOL

First, the Food Republic does not accept SDP/UDP. "Cash" Only.

Second, the Food Republic does not accept reservations. First come first serve.

You have an iPad on the table and page through the menu. Select the items you want (mostly small dishes which makes it easy to try a whole bunch of different items). Once you select what you want, you slide your room card and the food shows up. You keep ordering until you're full.

Thank you so much! Maybe we hit this for lunch one day or snack before dinner LOL

Thanks again!

In my opinion, Food Republic is a better option for lunch. The menu consists of items that are designed for sharing. You don't really order meals that you are served. The items you order come out in what ever order they are ready, so you might get something within 3 minutes, and then wait 15 for something else. It just depends. You order a few things, then order a few more, etc. It's not really a traditional "dinner" type atmosphere.

Pincho's Tapas Bar (Ironchef Jose Garces) is also a great place for a quick bite at lunch. We actually did a "progressive lunch" one day having a few tapas and progressing to Food Republic for sushi and desserts.

Pincho's Tapas Bar (Ironchef Jose Garces) is also a great place for a quick bite at lunch. We actually did a "progressive lunch" one day having a few tapas and progressing to Food Republic for sushi and desserts.

I'm liking this idea, just shared with DH and were up for it when we do escape later in the year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got off Escape and we loved Food Republic. Probably wouldn't have gone had Haven folks been offered 50% off the first night. Really liked the setup, great views, awesome food, prices very reasonable. We ended up going back twice.

We usually love tapas restaurants but weren't impressed with Pincho's menu. Every time we walked by it was pretty much empty.

Can you explain a bit more the difference between Pincho's and Food Republic? I've seen menus for both online but it just seems a bit odd to have two different tapas/small plates type places on the same ship.

Can you explain a bit more the difference between Pincho's and Food Republic? I've seen menus for both online but it just seems a bit odd to have two different tapas/small plates type places on the same ship.

Two different cuisines. Latin food at Pinchos and Asian Fusion foods at Food Republic. Over two cruises on the Escape, we have eaten at both restaurants 3 times each.

If I am not a sushi eater, would you still suggest eating at Food Republic? I have eaten at the Asian restaurants (free) on other ships and have not cared for the food. Can anyone tell me if is similar?

If I am not a sushi eater, would you still suggest eating at Food Republic? I have eaten at the Asian restaurants (free) on other ships and have not cared for the food. Can anyone tell me if is similar?

Sushi is one part of the menu but there are quite a few other options as well.

Food Republic is quite different for example from the Noodle Bar on the Getaway.

We will be on the Escape for the 4th time next month and Food Republic is one of the reasons we love that ship. We usually eat lunch there about 3 times during the week and still haven't tried all the items we want to yet. It's easy to get full, but try and save room to try one of their desserts. I love the Banana Bun and DH likes the Green Tea Jar. They also have a couple of great specialty drinks that are unique to that venue. I think my favorite is called the Revolutionary Cure.

Then get the burger sliders. Or the lobster roll. Or any of the choices on the large menu. I've eaten there 6 times, and I love everything on the menu. (Yes, I've tried everything on the menu). Sushi is a very small part. If someone here hadn't said it was Asian Fusion, I'd probably have not thought of it as Asian fusion, although I suppose that's a part of it. It's heavy on the fusion and lighter on the Asian. LOL!

Then get the burger sliders. Or the lobster roll. Or any of the choices on the large menu. I've eaten there 6 times, and I love everything on the menu. (Yes, I've tried everything on the menu). Sushi is a very small part. If someone here hadn't said it was Asian Fusion, I'd probably have not thought of it as Asian fusion, although I suppose that's a part of it. It's heavy on the fusion and lighter on the Asian. LOL!

The lobster rolls are awesome! :hearteyes:

Honestly, the spouse & I love sushi but only ordered 1 roll at Food Republic, too many other interesting things to try!

The lobster rolls are awesome! :hearteyes:

Honestly, the spouse & I love sushi but only ordered 1 roll at Food Republic, too many other interesting things to try!

Funny you say that, because the lobster rolls are one of only a couple things that I'd never order again. Too much bread and too little filling. That said, the filling was delicious and I loved it, I just don't want to fill up on bread.

My DH won't try sushi but loves eating at Food Republic. Some of our favorites are the Bulgogi Tacos, Pub Sliders, Pork Belly Dumplings and Elote. Lobster roll was OK, but in our opinion not as good as the Lobster Rolls on the Getaway at the walk-up window on the waterfront.

I would do Food Republic a 1000 times over before I would to Teppenyaki. FR is really interesting and unique dishes. It's definitely nice for dinner. Between the restaurant in the Haven, Food Republic and dining outside at La Cucina those are my recommendations.

Teppenyaki is so common on land and much better than NCL can do. As far as Cagney's, if you have Haven access, you don't need to go to Cagney's. They aren't serving anything better than in the Haven, including the steaks.

Go to FR early on in your cruise. Maybe even the very first night. My guess is you will love it so much you'll be back.