AMA Waterways Optional Tours

rahrah50

We leave in a week and are thinking about the optional tours offered. Looking for some feedback on the Mozart Strauss Concert, Salzburg, and the Folklore show in Prague. The idea of the Mozart Strauss concert is great, but I think I would prefer to spend my afternoon walking in Vienna, going to a coffee house, Klimt paintings and maybe dinner in Vienna. The Salzburg tour is a very long day......

We leave in a week and are thinking about the optional tours offered. Looking for some feedback on the Mozart Strauss Concert, Salzburg, and the Folklore show in Prague. The idea of the Mozart Strauss concert is great, but I think I would prefer to spend my afternoon walking in Vienna, going to a coffee house, Klimt paintings and maybe dinner in Vienna. The Salzburg tour is a very long day......

We loved the concert, but it was at night. The Folklore show was touristy, but we enjoyed it and thought it was fun. We did not go to Salzburg.

Allyson

The Salzburg tour is long but it is broken up. First you go to the Austrian Lake region. The scenery is gorgeous and the church where they filmed the wedding in the Sound of Music is located there. Then it's on to Salzburg. You are first given a guided tour, then you are on your own for the remainder. So you are free to do as much or little as you wish.

This was the day in Linz. Believe it or not there were half day tours to Salzburg after a half day tour of Linz. Which to me defeated the purpose.

As a Sound of Music lover whose dream was to one day visit Salzburg it was a no brainer to me

That said, Austrians think any American fans of the Sound of Music ridiculous, to put it midly. Lol

The concert was good, we were glad we went to a Vienna concert hall for a recital. AMA also buys you the CD. We appreciate Music. But you are not brought to the top concert hall with the top performers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The native Austrians don't understand the attraction that most of the rest of the world has for "The Sound of Music". They are much more proud of the fact that Conrad Doppler was born in Salzburg and that Mozart lived there in his early years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The native Austrians don't understand the attraction that most of the rest of the world has for "The Sound of Music". They are much more proud of the fact that Conrad Doppler was born in Salzburg and that Mozart lived there in his early years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Europeans in general don't understand the American fascination. They consider it a fairy tale. The guides only mention it because that's what the American clients want. For an example the AmaSonata CD Veronica, confided she forced her mom, from Prague, to watch the DVD last year. Lol.

That's right about The Sound of Music. A few months ago I saw the German film version of it for the first time. I did not really know anything about the musical until a few years ago. It is a similar story with the "Student Prince" in Heidelberg, that too is not in German people's minds when they think of Heidelberg.

Salzburg decided to put the musical on the stage in 2011. It was so successful that they have performed it in every theatre season since: http://www.salzburger-landestheater.at/de/produktionen/the-sound-of-music-3.html/ID_Vorstellung=2411&m=2

notamermaid

Europeans in general don't understand the American fascination. They consider it a fairy tale. The guides only mention it because that's what the American clients want. For an example the AmaSonata CD Veronica, confided she forced her mom, from Prague, to watch the DVD last year. Lol.

They have a point. The movie was fictionalized. In the movie the Trapp family skied over the alps into Switzerland. They actually took the train to Italy, made their way to London then boat to USA.

Anyone who cares can Google other differences.

I enjoyed the movie. It is more like a fairy tale then a biography.