Exclusive Dolphin Swim Excursion Questions

elainmir

We want to do the Exclusive VIP Dolphin Swim excursion in Cozumel...I see they don't want anyone with back or neck issues to do this... Water activities where the water makes you buoyant really is easier on your back Anyone who has done this excursion...is it really hard on your back ? The water is waist high right? going to read all the reviews...just want to know your experience...I believe it's at a place called Dolphanaris.

I haven't done this swim at this park but there's no way the water is waist deep. The dolphin wouldn't be able to swim. The one we did the water was deep, but you wear a life jacket and stay afloat fine. That's the area where I could see the back/neck problems coming into play. If the pressure of the life jacket keeping you afloat bothers your neck. No, it's not unduly taxing on your back and neck otherwise, mostly just floating in place while the dolphin swims by and does the tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't done this particular dolphin excursion but have done multiple dolphin excursions. I can see where there would be an issue with someone having back problems. You are interacting with a dolphin. While much of the time you are on a platform in about waist deep water there are times where you have to swim out to deep water and interact with the dolphin, grab hold of the dolphin, let the dolphin drag you or push you around. Only you can answer whether you would be comfortable with this or whether it would aggravate your condition. Remember there is a warning for a reason.

I haven't done this swim at this park but there's no way the water is waist deep. The dolphin wouldn't be able to swim. The one we did the water was deep, but you wear a life jacket and stay afloat fine.
There are different types of dolphin interactions. Some do, in fact, take place is shallow (about waist deep) water and are designed for people to just touch/pet the dolphins. These are usually cheaper. Then there's the ones where you're in deeper water and actually swim with them.

First, pick and book your excursion with Chankanaab directly. You will save a ton of money.

They have multiple enclosures for the dolphins and every one I have ever been in had a 2' wide platform that put me in chest deep water. The water below was much deeper and dolphin was able to swim up to us for interaction with a basic encounter.

If you upgrade to one where the dolphin(s) pull or push you then you have to swim out in your vest away from the platform. The "push" is shocking as those darlings are incredibly strong and impact the bottom of your shockingly foot hard! Mine was tender for a couple of days. And yes for some it puts your back at a bit of an awkward angle.

Only you can decide whether or not it is worth the risk for such an amazing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are different types of dolphin interactions. Some do, in fact, take place is shallow (about waist deep) water and are designed for people to just touch/pet the dolphins. These are usually cheaper. Then there's the ones where you're in deeper water and actually swim with them.

I know, I was taking into account that they wanted to do the VIP dolphin swim as opposed to a dolphin encounter.

We have done the excursion where you stood on a platform for most of the interaction and the movement in the water pushes and pulls you around and you have to hang on to the fence behind you sometimes to keep from being thrown off balance. There was a lot of bodily movement even when you were not the one interacting with the dolphins but others in your party were. Lots of waves in the pool.

We want to do the Exclusive VIP Dolphin Swim excursion in Cozumel...I see they don't want anyone with back or neck issues to do this... Water activities where the water makes you buoyant really is easier on your back Anyone who has done this excursion...is it really hard on your back ? The water is waist high right? going to read all the reviews...just want to know your experience...I believe it's at a place called Dolphanaris.

IIRC the one we did in Cozumel, the various pens and a 2-3 foot wide ledge surrounding the deeper pool. We stood on the ledge in about waste deep water. We did the cheap one where we just gave signals to the dolphin, petted it, etc. The other excursions in the adjacent pools, the people who were being pulled/pushed/etc by the dolphin would float out into the deep water to do that. So if you did one of those excursions, at most you would be floating in the water for 2-3 minutes, while standing on the ledge for 45-60 minutes. So I could see if you had a bad back, you might not want to be standing on a hard surface for that long.

1) I've had spinal fusion and a hip replacement and last did the push/pull activities with dolphins in Puerto Morales near Playa del Carmen. Only you and your doctor can determine if you are capable of doing these activities, esp. the one where two dolphins push you by the feet through the water, almost like water skiing.

2) I don't think Chakannab, just like other excursion/tour providers with cruise line contracts, allows cruisers to book directly with them any more

3) I've done several dolphin interactions in the past, and almost feel guilty about having done them today. My views on these interactions have changed over the years. Today I am more ambivalent about dolphin/human entertainment. The usual rationale given is that the dolphins were injured at some point and cannot survive in the open ocean, so the provider is doing them a favor by keeping them penned in and doing tricks for our amusement.

• 7 months later...

I did the Royal Swim with dolphins at Chankanaab park, booked directly with dolphindiscovery.com . At the time I was about 10 weeks post op hip replacement, so thought it prudent not to do the lift and thrust, since they give you a very vigorous lift and push through the water, then you fall back down. I did everything else and had a great time.The only thing I found uncomfortable was standing on the metal grating, waiting for my turn. At that time they allowed someone else in your family to come out to the lagoon and take photos, not sure if they still do. Their photos are very expensive. As far as the water depth, you are in a deep lagoon with a metal platform at the edge, to stand on.The dolphins approach and nuzzle, kiss and play with you there, and then you swim out into the lagoon to do the maneuvers. It was fantastic!