Question about the Anthem out of Cape Liberty

mation101

My wife and I are taking the Anthem out of Cape Liberty next year. We are coming in 3 days early. What airport should we use and where should we stay? we have never visited New York City and want to tour. If we stay in NYC how easy is it to get to the ship? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon & Tracey.

My wife and I are taking the Anthem out of Cape Liberty next year. We are coming in 3 days early. What airport should we use and where should we stay? we have never visited New York City and want to tour. If we stay in NYC how easy is it to get to the ship? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon & Tracey.

The closest airport to Cape Liberty is Newark - EWR.

I would ask your questions about hotel and visiting NYC in the East Coast Departures forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Transportation in the NYC area is complicated and the experts on the other forum can help.

Best airport is Newark. If you stay in NYC you need a car service to get across to NJ, because a taxi won't do it (crossing state line). Yu could go across into the city by train, or take the ferry from Weehauken. Lots of options. Check out the East Coast Departures under North American Homeports. EM

Yes - ask your questions on the East Coast Departure board. Please provide all the details you can think of - the exact dates, hotel budget, number of people, NYC, sightseeing objectives, willingness to use public transit with luggage, mobility concerns, or any other pertinent information.

Cape Liberty is very much a DIY port. You must look at the big picture and balance costs of transportation and hotels to minimize cost, time, and stress. Definitely fly into Newark Airport. Transportation costs to and from JFK or LGA are very time consuming and costly - at least $120+ each way.

We just returned from such a trip - wonderful. We flew into Newark (EWR) and took the train from the airport to Penn Station ($13.00) per person. That was easy as we only had a 22" suitcase each, with a lot of luggage it would be more cumbersome. The trip is quick on the train so we were NYC about 1.5 hours after landing. We chose to stay in midtown at the Fairfield Inn and Suites (great hotel) which is only a block away from Penn Station. There is also a subway line right there so easy access throughout the city - that was important so that we could get around. Mostly we walked, even to the theater to see Aladdin. Hotels in the city can be quite expensive so we looked around to balance hotel quality and location.

I didn't want to spend the $80-100 estimated cost of car service to Port Liberty so we took the Path Train from 33rd and 6th (short walk from our hotel) to Hoboken for $2.75 per person then changed to the light rail and took that to Bayonne ($1.75 each). It was an easy ride - total time was about 1:30 Saturday morning. At the Bayonne station you are only about 1.5 miles from the port which was a short cab ride. We left our hotel at 9:15 and were on board by 11:30. Again, we were traveling with little luggage so it was easy, tougher but doable with big bags.

We just returned from such a trip - wonderful. We flew into Newark (EWR) and took the train from the airport to Penn Station ($13.00) per person. That was easy as we only had a 22" suitcase each, with a lot of luggage it would be more cumbersome. The trip is quick on the train so we were NYC about 1.5 hours after landing. We chose to stay in midtown at the Fairfield Inn and Suites (great hotel) which is only a block away from Penn Station. There is also a subway line right there so easy access throughout the city - that was important so that we could get around. Mostly we walked, even to the theater to see Aladdin. Hotels in the city can be quite expensive so we looked around to balance hotel quality and location.

I didn't want to spend the $80-100 estimated cost of car service to Port Liberty so we took the Path Train from 33rd and 6th (short walk from our hotel) to Hoboken for $2.75 per person then changed to the light rail and took that to Bayonne ($1.75 each). It was an easy ride - total time was about 1:30 Saturday morning. At the Bayonne station you are only about 1.5 miles from the port which was a short cab ride. We left our hotel at 9:15 and were on board by 11:30. Again, we were traveling with little luggage so it was easy, tougher but doable with big bags.

Anyone planning on traveling through Penn Station is advised to read the NY papers and/or news sites. It's been a nightmare lately and they need to do major track repairs. It's a case of aging infrastructure. Expect delays and cancellations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jon & Tracey.

Take the Newark Liberty Airport (EWR).

Check out hotels in the Secaucus NJ area. Cheaper than NYC area. Easy transportation to Manhattan and other NY tourist attractions

Jon & Tracey.

It cost us $85 to get a private car service from Manhattan to the Port in Cape Liberty. We arrived in plenty of time and didn't have the hassle of trying to maneuver luggage around unfamiliar train stations.

If you can afford a private car, it's well worth it.

The closest airport to Cape Liberty is Newark - EWR.

I would ask your questions about hotel and visiting NYC in the East Coast Departures forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Transportation in the NYC area is complicated and the experts on the other forum can help.

Thank you i posted it over there.