Travel Insurance

Ruby-Mae

If your children are under 13, you will want to go with a company that provides free insurance for children with an adult purchase. I know Travel Guard used to provide this coverage on some of their better policies. It is a really smart thing to purchase insurance. Check around as the cruise lines coverage isn't always the best. Hopefully, you get the insurance within 14 days of the deposit to get pre-existing condition coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes Travel Guard does still offer free coverage for kids 17 and under if you buy the Gold plan. We have used them for years and never had a problem.

Some states like CO, for some reason, the gold plan is called Protect Assist but is the same thing.

Almost forgot to say: purchase it within 14 days of making the deposit and you will be covered for pre existing medical. You can just cover the deposit now and then add on as you add air and make final payment. Those too will need to be done 14 days after they are paid.

I use squaremouth.com. You type in all the travel detail, including cost obviously, and it gives you a bunch of companies to choose from. There's even a tool for comparing companies and coverage. I use to use Allianz a lot (very good company!) but have been choosing RoamRight lately because price is more affordable and kids are free.

UK citizens should purchase travel insurance in the UK from a carrier or broker that sells to UK citizens.

For US citizens, the cruise line is rarely the best offer re: prices & coverages.

Have a look on some comparison sites... some supermarkets have good offers ( my MIL was still using Tesco's in her 90s )... it does depend on where you're going- it's top prices for USA and the Caribbean, and for some reason we were charged a little more last year for Spain (?) Make sure you all have an EHIC as well if you're going to the Med- some companies check that you have.

We use Staysure or Insure and Go, but we are seniors with several minor complaints, which seems to be their speciality. For straightforward insurance for other things, we like the Co-op.