Fluctuation in prices.

ozzysdad

I have got to say that P&O fluid pricing policy is starting to really annoy me, without warning cruise prices have jumped up this week by hundreds of pounds for cruises that don't even leave for over twelve months, now I know there has to be a cut off when booking early before they bump the price up but what they do is so inconsistent to the point were I'm actually contemplating booking elsewhere, why can't discounts and incentives be dished out in a consistent way instead of the slap dash approach they now seem to operate.

I'm reluctant now to part with over £500 more as I feel I'm getting a poor deal especially with P&O totally within their rights to reduce the price again at a later date. :mad:

It is obvious that those that have shot up but are over 12 months away have seen an increase in bookings recently and that what fluid pricing is all about supply and demand. The problem is because fluid pricing is prevalent throughout the tourist industry how do you know that if you book elsewhere that they have not increased as well and you are paying more for them than if you had booked earlier. The best thing to do in this day of pricing is either book very early as close to initial sale date or leave until close to cruise date and get a late deal and not in between the two.

Perfect reply Majortom10..I was going to say either very early or very late..ofcpurse you may not get the choices very late...but you would have got the cruise cheaper.

It just depends on what is important to you...and once booked don't look at prices again, as there is every chance they may go down again.

@wowzz

Agreed. And don't forget that each flight has many seating options (aisle, window, leg room) all subject to the same algorithms. I didn't mention center seats on purposes :)

While I agree with the maxim to book a price you are happy with then don't look at the prices again, it is easier said than done.

Cruise companies have a habit of sending out e-mails and snail mail shots highlighting the reductions. We just received one this week for another line that shows both the early booking prices and the significantly lower late ones. That is adding salt to an open wound.

It's just down to individual choice. Either you book early and hopefully get a good price or you wait until much nearer the sail date in the hope of a lower price and take the chance that the price may not get lower. We have booked on the Aurora 65 night South America cruise next year. We booked on the day bookings open and got the usual P&O discount plus a discount from our TA and received a healthy amount of OBC. Looking at the website today there are no Saver Fares - cruise goes next January, and the price of the grade of cabin we booked has gone up in total (ie the cost for two people) nearly £7,500! How would I feel if I'd looked and it had gone down - well obviously annoyed but then we got what we wanted in terms of cabin etc. and for such a long voyage it's important to us. Would we have booked at today's price - probably not.

I agree with annieuk. We booked our round trip to thr Caribbean 18 months out - got the cabin and dining options we wanted, plus a shed load of obc. Looking now, similar cabins to ours are more expensive, and no obc.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I have given up on trying to fathom out this so called fluid pricing....to me it is playing mind games with us and I honestly don't understand why. Ok ...yes book early when the prices come out...select fare...all of the choices and maybe the best price when all is considered. Then P&O bring out Early Saver price on some of the cruises...maybe to encourage us to get booking...then at the last minute ...Late Saver price....which may or may not be cheaper than original prices. I booked our September 2017 cruise in early March this year and the two tier price was available...Select or Early Saver but the Select price was cheaper than the Early Saver then with the coach transfer on top of the cheaper price I was £300 better off....great ...no complaints from me but what was that all about....why even have an "Early Saver Price " when it is dearer than the Select price!...