Cuba Visa Fee

I found this link about Cuba Tourist Card (visa). Thought it primarily about buying them before flying into Cuba, the same info applies to cruising from a US port. It looks like the $75 fee isn't excessive. Frontier Airlines charges $110. https://www.viahero.com/blog/how-to-get-a-cuban-tourist-card

Whew! So glad now that my Empress cruise is NOT going to Cozumel!!! As a "Yankee", I would probably have to ask the CD to show "Gone with the Wind" !! Lol !

- Clancy (who knows not to bring credit cards, that there is almost no air conditioning, and you have to take your own T.P. ashore with you!).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If thats true thats ridiculous for non-US cruisers.

I was under the impression that the $75 had a chunk of admin fee with money going to the line rather than a Cuba thing and that a European Cuban tourist card would be accepted as much as the US one at a port.

Tbh I am still wondering about this as I am likely to book a cruise that stops in Cuba (although not likely Royal at this point).

I will have to research at some point.

Actually it is true. The Cuba Tourist Card is only valid when you fly into Cuba from Europe. It´s not valid for flights out of the US (even when you´re only transitting) and cruises out of the US. It´s because you have to obey also the US laws with the people to people program and more.

I couldn´t belive it myself. We checked and asked RCI and NCL.

Even the German airlines charged different amounts. We bought the Tourist Card through our tour operator and it was 25 Euro. Air Berlin charged 30 Euro at the airport. Condor charged 35 Euro at the airport.

steamboats

FYI for anyone planning a cruise with Royal Caribbean...if Cuba is on your itinerary there is a mandatory charge of $75 per person for a Visa whether you get off the boat or not. It is charged on your account Day 1 of sailing. This fee is not included in the cost of the cruise. I think this info should be disclosed at time of booking. The website makes it look like a treat to go there. Personally, the only reason I was interested in the cruise was to go to Cozumel. Disappointed with RCCI at this time.
If you cruised to countries like Brazil or India and do all the work associated with getting a visa on your own you would be praising RCI. I amazes me that folks would complain about RCI doing them a favor.

If you cruised to countries like Brazil or India and do all the work associated with getting a visa on your own you would be praising RCI. I amazes me that folks would complain about RCI doing them a favor.

No kidding. This all sounds much better than showing up at the pier and being denied boarding because you don't have the proper documents.

Actually, I am not looking for pity for "MY" mistake...it was just an FYI post...as YOU may have been told at booking about the Visa charge...I WAS NOT...and as I do not owe an explanation as to why I chose this cruise, date, etc. I just thought others may be interested to know. AND yes, I have been on SEVERAL cruises BUT I have never come across a charge such as this. EXCUSE ME for not being so informed. I did see info on the website after I booked, hence the reason I called & got further info & felt so inclined to share. However, I guess the utter rudeness of several of you just makes me proud I was raised in the south & have much better manners...Wow, some people never cease to amaze me!

RCCL goes to a few places that require a VISA. The places are China, Russia and Cuba. Unless you go to one of these places, you will not be informed. In case you did not know, you also can not sail this ship, unless you have a Passport book. Just in case you were not aware.

RCCL website at time of booking gives you all kinds of warnings and requirements. This is not a normal Caribbean Island. It is a communist nation and is restricted place to travel.

I also don't think people were being rude, but extremely curious why you would be sailing on RCCL's smallest ship, that is specifically brought back to service for the purpose of Cuba sailings. Not to mention, the trip already is almost double the price than a normal sailing, and you don't even want to get off the ship? Since the premium price is already paid, what's another $75.00?

No kidding. This all sounds much better than showing up at the pier and being denied boarding because you don't have the proper documents.

I seem to recall that some folks on the Mariner round the horn cruise got denied boarding because no Brazil Visas

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I seem to recall that some folks on the Mariner round the horn cruise got denied boarding because no Brazil Visas

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Yes, I believe about 60 people were denied boarding in Port Canaveral but we heard Royal helped arrange an expedited visa for them in Miami and we saw quite a few boarding at the first port.

After spending hours online trying to get the paperwork accepted by Brazil and completing a multi-step process to mail our passports to Brazilian Consulate in Chicago plus spending over $300 for the two of us, I am happy Royal is taking care of this for our Empress cruise in September:D

Sherri:)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this is your first cruise and you did not do your home work. There are so many wonderful cruises at a lot less cost that go to Cozumel. Some even will stop in Belize or Costa Maya.

I'm born and raised in the south and I saw nothing wrong with most of the posts. We're booked for a Cuba cruise and the RCCL rep informed me right off that there would be a mandatory $75 Visa charge. Also, as others kindly pointed out, why did you make a reservation on a ship going to Cuba, if you had no desire to go to Cuba? I admit we frequently end up in Nassau if we want to go eastern on Royal Caribbean. . :rolleyes:

As I mentioned above, I'm born and raised in the south but have spent time in the north, mid west, and west as well as have many clients from northern states. I can assure you bigotry and racism does not stop at the Mason-Dixon line.