Summit.... Statue of Liberty... Verrazano Bridge??

PH8

Cruising out of Cape Liberty next month. Normally I cruise out of FL so I am scrambling for any and all info I can for my last minute booking.

From what I have gathered,sometimes the captains sails up past the SOL before heading out. Can any recent cruisers verify that?

And approximately,how long till we go under the bridge??

I'm trying to plan things around those two events.

Thanks...

To PH8:

I don't believe the Summit went up to visit the SOL yet this year (today will be cruise #3). If she does visit the statue, it takes about 15 minutes to get up there. If she goes up and turns around, another 20-25 minutes to the bridge. If she heads directly out to sea, 15 to 20 from dock to bridge. Heading up to see the statue seems to depend on the captain, harbor traffic, and weather. Today, T-storms are in the forecast, so I'd bet against a statue visit.

You can watch the departure on the Newyorkharbor cam.

Hey Kathy:).....it is pretty quickly to be sailing under the bridge......I have done it multiple times. As for Lady Liberty?

That one I can't remember going right by her......maybe someone who has sailed more recently can give you a positive

response about it.

Hope you have a great cruise:D

Hey Kathy:).....it is pretty quickly to be sailing under the bridge......I have done it multiple times. As for Lady Liberty?

That one I can't remember going right by her......maybe someone who has sailed more recently can give you a positive

response about it.

Hope you have a great cruise:D

The past couple of years the Summit has gone to the left of the statue and then follows the Breakawy under the Bridge. This is usually depending on weather and gives a better view of the SOL. They used to pull out to the right of the SOL and under the bridge.

Captain Leo started this a few years ago. If the weather is good you will leave Bayonne, head north past Lady Liberty and do a 180. On a nice day it is an awesome extra. Celebrity likes to do this because it allows the NCL Breakaway to take the lead. It appears the Breakaway has better navigational electronics.:cool:

Celebrity likes to do this because it allows the NCL Breakaway to take the lead. It appears the Breakaway has better navigational electronics.:cool:

Hope you don't mean the Summit would not be able to find Bermuda without the Breakaway taking the lead??:D:D

Cruising out of Cape Liberty next month. Normally I cruise out of FL so I am scrambling for any and all info I can for my last minute booking.

From what I have gathered,sometimes the captains sails up past the SOL before heading out. Can any recent cruisers verify that?

And approximately,how long till we go under the bridge??

I'm trying to plan things around those two events.

Thanks...

It depends on the weather but we did not circle the SOL and we didn't get up close to it (I had to use maximum zoom to get a photo). Once you clear the bridge keep an eye out for Coney Island.....you can see the parachute jump and the roller coasters quite well. If you're returning to Cape Liberty (we were) I went out on our balcony at daybreak and got a wonderful picture of the bridge, which was still lit up with the necklace lighting.....when I called DH to come see, the lights had been turned off! I also got better pictures of the SOL as we were arriving.

And don't forget to notice the Trade Center Memorial on the NJ side. It's worth seeing.

Both Captain Kate and Capt Leo sail pass the SOL if time and weather permits. Sometimes they have to leave quickly to beat bad weather.

While docked in Bayonne the SOL is very visible. Also next to the ship is the Teardrop Memorial for the 911 disaster that Russia gave to the US as a gift.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_the_Struggle_Against_World_Terrorism

The bridge is a distance off and takes longer to get there than you would expect. Standing on the upper deck is really an experience as it doesn't appear as if there is any clearance. It is also amazing at how fast the bridge passes over the ship. Something you might want to consider is the wind is very strong on the top deck and even though it may be warm outside sometimes a jacket is needed.

For all the hoopla at the beginning I doubt if many passengers are up and looking for the bridge or SOL on the return.

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

I am sailing on the Summit June 4th. We are AQ starboard. Which side of the ship sails past Lady Liberty?

IF you do head up to the SOL, the ship will sail up river past the statue, do a 180, and sail down and out to sea. You will see the statue after the turn around.

For everyone's information, the ship does not sail AROUND the statue. It sails up and down in the channel in front of the statue. It is impossible for the Summit to sail around Liberty island.

I am sailing on the Summit June 4th. We are AQ starboard. Which side of the ship sails past Lady Liberty?

We were in an aft cabin but we passed her on the port side going out and starboard coming in.