FLL to Miami Transportation and Hotel

Johnamac123

I'm planning a Dec 2018 cruise out of POM. I'll be flying into FLL the day before departure.

Any recommendations on VERY reliable transport to/from Miami area from/to FLL Airport? Also, I'd prefer to stay in Miami area one night precruise and would appreciate any recommendations for a hotel that includes POM shuttle.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

To answer the second question first: the only hotels offering shuttles to PortMiami (usually not free unless part of a package deal) are located near MIA airport. But if you are arriving at FLL and want to spend the night in Miami there is no reason to stay near the airport rather than in Brickell or Downtown Miami near the port. Taxis, Uber or Lyft in Miami are all cheap and plentiful--and the morning of your cruise will be faster and more reliable than a hotel shuttle, which runs on their schedule not yours and is likely to be crowded or even overbooked.

As for the first question: a lot depends on what time your flight arrives. Most shared shuttles run between FLL and Miami hotels from late morning thru mid afternoon, after finishing their runs between airport and port in the morning for same day arriving or departing passengers. What to recommend also comes down to your definition of "VERY reliable": do you insist on a precise guaranteed pick up time? (Hint: on "Miami time" that is pretty much nonexistent). Are you amenable to waiting for other passengers to meet the shuttle, and making a number of stops before your hotel? If not than you need a private car or van. Or just grab a taxi; fare from FLL to Downtown Miami is about $90; Uber or Lyft possibly a good bit less--and if there is more than two of you those could be a better value than a car service.

How many in your party? UberX from FLL to Miami hotels will run about $40 and will be okay for 2 passengers plus bags (3 if you pack light).

Skip the Miami airport hotels offering "free" shuttle to POM and stay downtown where you will see something of the city and enjoy dining and nightlife. Taxi from downtown hotels to POM will run about $10-13 or you can UberX for under $10.

im following...we are traveling to FLL the day before our cruise which also leaves out of POM. Trying to figure out if we are getting a rental car, or shuttle, or Ubering everywhere. Looking at all my options.

So far I'm leaning towards a rental car...just gotta figure out how to get to port after returning the rental car.

Parking your rental in Miami will be expensive unless you stay out near MIA. If you rent from National, Alamo, Thrifty (and maybe Enterprise) you can return the car to the MIA airport rental center and ride their free shuttle to POM. Get a deal from others and the cab fare to POM form MIA is $27+tip (UberX will be about $15-17). Hertz, Avis and others have offices in downtown Miami, close to the port - cab fare should be closer to $12+tip

i was planning on just a oneway rental...parking a rental for a week would be crazy and a waste of money in my opinion. :)

Thanks for all the information...it is really helpful!

Uber. Don't get a rental. You may save a little bit of money using a rental, maybe, but its not worth the extra hassle for one night in Miami. Uber, stay in a hotel in the Downtown/Brickell area and enjoy not worrying about parking or dropping off or gas etc..

To the OP, if you are not a large group, use Uber for both getting to Miami and getting to the port. Pick a hotel in the Downtown Miami or Brickell area. Tons of options.

Uber. Don't get a rental. You may save a little bit of money using a rental, maybe, but its not worth the extra hassle for one night in Miami. Uber, stay in a hotel in the Downtown/Brickell area and enjoy not worrying about parking or dropping off or gas etc..

To the OP, if you are not a large group, use Uber for both getting to Miami and getting to the port. Pick a hotel in the Downtown Miami or Brickell area. Tons of options.

Thank you all for the great information. I'm traveling solo or at most two in my party. Looks like it will be taxi/Uber from FLL to Miami downtown area and return...

Thank you all for the great information. I'm traveling solo or at most two in my party. Looks like it will be taxi/Uber from FLL to Miami downtown area and return...

2 Very nice hotels that you can get a room with a view of the Port are Marriott Biscayne Bay and Intercontinental.

Hampton Inn ( Brickell ) is often mentioned just not Port view.

There is also a Holiday Inn right across from Bayside Market. ( Dining/ Drinking /Shopping)