Please help refresh my memory - Formal Nights

fozzy1975

How many cruise elegant nights are there for a 6 night cruise? I am hoping for only 1 but for some reason I remember 2! I am on vacation and really do not want to dress up! One night is ok, but 2....not feeling it but I love to eat in the main dining rooms!

How many cruise elegant nights are there for a 6 night cruise? I am hoping for only 1 but for some reason I remember 2! I am on vacation and really do not want to dress up! One night is ok, but 2....not feeling it but I love to eat in the main dining rooms!

what do you mean by dress up? All mean need is a pair of khakis and a polo shirt.

It's not like you need a suit or tux anymore.:)

Bill

I'm feeling the same way for our upcoming 8 day Vista cruise! I hate dressing up, hate packing dress clothes and shoes. But I love eating in the main dining room. We just got off NCL Breakaway a couple months ago and we absolutely loved the "free style" cruising! We wore shorts every night in the dining room, never put on dress clothes once! Loved it!

Does anyone know what is the minimum you can get by with as far as how dressy your clothes are? Is a button down shirt for my hubby and nice capri's with dress top for me acceptable? Or is a tie required? Do I have to wear a dress? Ugh!

what do you mean by dress up? All mean need is a pair of khakis and a polo shirt.

Bill

This is what I do now......if you can't beat 'em...join 'em.;p

Here's what Carnival has to say:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

But people do wear less than that and get away with it.

I'm feeling the same way for our upcoming 8 day Vista cruise! I hate dressing up, hate packing dress clothes and shoes. But I love eating in the main dining room. We just got off NCL Breakaway a couple months ago and we absolutely loved the "free style" cruising! We wore shorts every night in the dining room, never put on dress clothes once! Loved it!

Does anyone know what is the minimum you can get by with as far as how dressy your clothes are? Is a button down shirt for my hubby and nice capri's with dress top for me acceptable? Or is a tie required? Do I have to wear a dress? Ugh!

I stopped wearing dresses a few years ago. I just bring one pair of nice pants or capris and one or two shirts. Sometimes I just wear the same shirt both nights because it's not like anyone will notice or care. (Or maybe you will be silently judged by strangers who have nothing better to do). You can always change things up with accessories if you want to.

My husband wears a button down shirt and khakis. No tie.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well being a woman I really do not want to wear Khakis and a polo! Especially not a tux;p

Bill

YES there are 2 Elegant Nights on a 6 day cruise, BUT these are not formal dress evenings.

Business casual is the best description of the dress code, khakis and a polo shirt is the minimum point of dress for either gender to eat in the MDR. Some people will dress up more, going all the way to tuxes and gowns, but the majority will be somewhere in between, sundresses or chinos w/ blingy top for the ladies and Dockers with a button down or Hawaiian shirt for the guys.

Carnival has, for all intents and purposes, given up on the entire "Formal Night" concept, even going so far as renaming it "Cruise Elegant" night. And then they do not even bother to enforce the diminished standards.

I can see their point, it is a losing battle. Even many shoreside "upscale" restaurants have done away with their iconic dress codes. Besides, how does what someone else is wearing change the taste of your food?

I stopped wearing dresses a few years ago. I just bring one pair of nice pants or capris and one or two shirts. Sometimes I just wear the same shirt both nights because it's not like anyone will notice or care. (Or maybe you will be silently judged by strangers who have nothing better to do). You can always change things up with accessories if you want to.

My husband wears a button down shirt and khakis. No tie.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is exactly what I was hoping! We will probably do the same as you described. I'll just wear the same dress capri's and change the top. We are flying in with a 40 lb max. on our luggage. The shoes are what add the weight along with suit/jacket for my husband. If we can at least eliminate the suite and tie, he will be happy!

Here's what Carnival has to say:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

But people do wear less than that and get away with it.

So....the way I'm reading this, just don't wear anything listed in the "Not permitted" list and we should be fine? ;p

If you read the CCL threads on here regarding the dress code you'll find that "formal night"has become "Cruise Elegant" and that it's not so "formal" any more. So men can do khakis, collared shirt (even a polo) and loafers and women are just fine in slacks and a nice top or a sundress.

This is what we've worn and seen and been in the majority.

So....the way I'm reading this, just don't wear anything listed in the "Not permitted" list and we should be fine? ;p

That's pretty much what everyone does (if they pay attention to that list at all, I'm sure you will see some of those prohibited items at least once).:D

Do the Cruise Elegant nights apply to the My Time Dining as well?
Bottom line.....if you're on a 7 night cruise, you can wear shorts 5 out of 7 nights. The other two men need to wear long pants and a collared shirt and women can wear dressy capris. If you need to wear shorts all 7 nights, then the 2 elegant nights you'll need to eat in the buffet or you can cruise on NCL.

If you read the CCL threads on here regarding the dress code you'll find that "formal night"has become "Cruise Elegant" and that it's not so "formal" any more. So men can do khakis, collared shirt (even a polo) and loafers and women are just fine in slacks and a nice top or a sundress.

This is what we've worn and seen and been in the majority.

LOL! Not so much "elegant" anymore either [emoji12]. I like to dress "up" - my husband not so much.

He wears Dockers and a polo most nights - sometimes jeans and a polo. On "Cruise Elegant" nights he wears the Dockers with a button down shirt. No tie. No jacket.

I have a black chiffon pants garment that has panels that make it look like a skirt. I've worn it for years over many cruises with different sparkly tops. I love ❤️ my bling!

I wear Yellow Box flip flops with rhinestones and a higher heel with it. One advantage of a long skirt, ladies - no one can see what you're wearing on your feet [emoji41]

I recently bought a long beige chiffon skirt that has contrasting embroidery and some bling. I'll pair it with a charmeuse tee shirt on "elegant" night (with the flip flops) and on another night with just a cotton tee shirt.

All of this is light weight and easy to pack non-wrinkle fabric. I can wear the charmeuse tee with jeans or black pants on another night as well.

I kind of have a off-beat New York style and I like having fun with it, and at the same time I pick things that can do double duty to keep the packing down.

I dress for comfort but I like looking fabulous at the same time. At least I think I look fabulous and that's what counts [emoji41]

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums