Really curious why so many board the Epic in Barcelona, not Rome

TNCruzer56

We boarded the same cruz in Rome. We flew in 4 days earlier and stayed one day post cruz to TRY and see everything in Rome. Even then, missed several spots. I couldn`t even imagine Rome being a 7-8 hour port call. Frankly, other than Familia Sagrada and a couple of Gaudi buildings, we found Barcelona to be just another Big congested city. Thoughts? JMHO!

I can't talk for others, but the two main reasons why I book that cruise from Barcelona are that the Sunday-Sunday timeframe works better. As we live in Europe it means we can do it easily with a weeks holiday. Even if we had to travel further then it could still be done as a week and a couple of days, whereas the Rome trip will pretty well make it need two weeks.

The other reason is that, whilst I love Rome, Barcelona is one of my favourite cities anywhere. Rome is great for a longer break, but as a one or two day pre cruise stay I would take Barcelona in preference any day.

You are absolutely correct about Rome needing longer. That's why we would do it as a separate holiday, or part of a land trip, than tack it onto a cruise.

My perspective is probably a little different to yours, being from Europe, but then Europeans make up quite a large proportion of people who do that cruise.

Having said that, I am always quite surprised about the number of people from the US who do this cruise without much extra time tacked onto the start or finish, so the Sunday-Sunday timing is likely to work better for them.

Of course there could be a variety of reasons. And it's wonderful that you are able to go over early and enjoy. However, that doesn't work for everyone, including my husband and myself, so basically the Sunday to Sunday worked better. And I'd rather see Rome in 8 hours than not at all.

We boarded the same cruz in Rome. We flew in 4 days earlier and stayed one day post cruz to TRY and see everything in Rome. Even then, missed several spots. I couldn`t even imagine Rome being a 7-8 hour port call. Frankly, other than Familia Sagrada and a couple of Gaudi buildings, we found Barcelona to be just another Big congested city. Thoughts? JMHO!

Have to totally disagree with your comments about Barcelona. There's far more to see than the Sagrada Familia and a couple of Gaudi buildings, plus places to visit just outside the city.

However, if I hadn't been to either cities before, then I would choose Rome. I have visited Rome more times than I can remember and still haven't seen everything.

Because getting to Civitavecchia is a pain. I love Rome, but the ship doesn't actually go there…

All good answers-Thanks.

-

I do disagree with the above-Two trains to the port about 50 minutes and I think about 12 Euros ea. I had my Rhum an Coke and enjoyed the countryside via train.

For me the most important fact to choose barca instead of Civitavecchia was how to get to the ship.

If by train there is no direct train from the airport to civitavecchia,you always have to change somwhere in city centre.

Getting from Barcelona airport to the port via public transport is much faster and also easier.

Even with taxi,the distances are much shorter in Barca.

Ok,as i am from Europe i don`t need several days before and post cruise,so the transportation issue might be migger for me then if i would stay in Rome or Barca several days before the cruise.

Certainly if someone wants to just fly in and board the ship straight away and then fly out on disembarkation day then Barcelona is by far the better option.

In my experience, people who do that make up a surprisingly high proportion of cruisers.

Rome and port are quite a distance apart.

Barcelona airport is a reasonable taxi ride either way.

BUT - and a big BUT - it is beyond me that people would fly all the way across the city and not spend time on each end of the cruise in Rome or Barcelona. Both wonderful cities. With extra days, the worry and risk of flight issues just about disappears. We are not as much into hitting specific sites in Barcelona, but totally love walking the old city all day long.

For me it is the Sunday to Sunday as well as the distance to the port. My first time in Europe and I was planning to go alone. I did not want my first experience in Europe to be getting lost in Italy.

Just watch your first experience of Europe is being robbed. Barcelona is the pick pocket capital of Europe. Keep your wits about you, be sensible and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

because there is no boarding in Rome on the Oct itinerary that I am on..... It is only Barcelona to Barcelona - the Rome stop is not an embarkation port.

We are spending 2 weeks on the ground before the cruise - flying into Rome, spending time throughout Italy, Switzerland and France before traveling to Spain and boarding the ship. I agree that a single port stop day to Civit is not sufficient to see Rome.

Enjoy.

I loved Barcelona and really have no desire to return to Rome. For us flights to Barcelona were also 1/3 the cost of flights to Rome. Barcelona has so much to see and do plus the surrounding areas like Montserrat, Girona, and Costa Brava are fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BUT - and a big BUT - it is beyond me that people would fly all the way across the city and not spend time on each end of the cruise in Rome or Barcelona. Both wonderful cities. With extra days, the worry and risk of flight issues just about disappears. We are not as much into hitting specific sites in Barcelona, but totally love walking the old city all day long.

When many Americans get such a small amount of vacation time, adding on days isn't always an option. Some work places only allow one week off at a time and flight schedules may not allow for it.

Would it be my ideal way to travel? No. But I understand why it happens for many people.

I have always wanted to go to Barcelona. When the DH said, "how would you like to go on an European cruise for our anniversary" I said yes and chose Barcelona as the port to depart from. I can barely contain my excitement of finally going to Barcelona. We are spending a few days there pre-cruise which of course includes an all-day tour. We have an all-day tour for Rome and I had no expectation of seeing it all. To be honest I am seeing my top picks the Vatican and the Colosseum so I am a happy camper.

....so basically the Sunday to Sunday worked better. And I'd rather see Rome in 8 hours than not at all.

Same here. It was cheaper flying into Barcelona, and the cruise goes Sunday to Sunday (flying in Friday nite/arriving Sat. a.m. to sightsee a bit in Barcelona) We are cruising over Memorial Day weekend, and are flying home Sunday from Barcelona, getting home Monday a.m., and are off Monday. Only missing 4 days of work that way!

Because getting to Civitavecchia is a pain. I love Rome, but the ship doesn't actually go there…

The more I read about embarking in Rome, the more nervous I got about the logistics of getting to the ship. I know people do it all the time, but I feel better taking the easy way this time....

..The more I read about embarking in Rome, the more nervous I got about the logistics of getting to the ship. I know people do it all the time, but I feel better taking the easy way this time....

I get that.

We flew into Rome. Took the nonstop train to central station. Walked about 4-5 blocks to a AirBNB for 3 nights. We had the option to take the train to the port or a car service. We opted for the train. Picked up "brunch" at the station and had a bottle of wine. Made for a nice trip.

Because it is such a port-intensive cruise, I have always thought that embarking in Rome is much more appealing because you get the one and only sea day towards the end of the cruise, when you're ready for a breather, rather than right at the beginning, as you do when you embark in Barcelona. I suppose you could look at it as having a rest break before you hit all those back-to-back ports.

Either way, this cruise is definitely on my bucket list! :D

I'm boarding in Rome in September. I love that NCL offers this option. I've never been to Rome (only the airport!) and I'm flying in eight days early to spend some time there. I did a Canary Islands cruise from Barcelona last year and spent six days pre-cruise and one day post-cruise and there is FAR more to see than was previously mentioned. I absolutely loved Barcelona.

If I had only one week for vacation, I wouldn't be going to Europe! That's just not enough time for me. I try to go every year and always at least two weeks. I live on the West Coast, and I got a great sale on my ticket--$422 RT from Portland to Rome! I paid more than three times that much for my RT ticket to Barcelona last year!

I'm looking forward to our Barcelona port of call on September's cruise--even though I spent seven days there last year, I certainly didn't see it all! :D I'm also looking forward to a more relaxed boarding day than usual with most of the passengers boarding in Barcelona instead of Rome.

The cruise is primarily sold as a Barcelona round-trip. The majority of room inventory is held and sold for the Barcelona round-trip. There is a very limited number of rooms are sold out of Rome. The weekend embarkation and disembarkation in Barcelona works a lot better for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it is the Sunday to Sunday as well as the distance to the port. My first time in Europe and I was planning to go alone. I did not want my first experience in Europe to be getting lost in Italy.

May I suggest you get the transfers available from NCL. We are on the Epic in 17days time:D and we are getting that mode of transport from the airport direct to the port for 25 pound return each....simples

We love Spain.

Our favorite trip is to fly from California into Madrid, spend some time there, then High-Speed Rail to Barcelona with some time there. Med cruise or TransAtlantic, either way, that works for us.

gary