Anyone back from 2017 Coral Princess Alaska

miss

On her 5-6 to 5-13. Perfect weather except for a little rain in Ketchikan from 9-1030am. Food was consistent with other Princess ships, entertainment also. Ship is in good repair, crew is friendly except for the coffee guys at the intl cafe who were not. Had a much better time than on the Emerald the next week.

• 2 weeks later...
On her 5-6 to 5-13. Perfect weather except for a little rain in Ketchikan from 9-1030am. Food was consistent with other Princess ships, entertainment also. Ship is in good repair, crew is friendly except for the coffee guys at the intl cafe who were not. Had a much better time than on the Emerald the next week.

Can I ask why much better than the Emerald? We're sailing in June, so I'm curious!

Going on Coral southbound 7/1/17. Can you please tell me what nights were formal nights on your cruise? Thanks!

stren003: Formal nights on the May 20 Southbound Coral voyage were Sunday and Thursday.

Other random thoughts on our cruise:

Sue the naturalist was so entertaining and informative. Her lectures as well as her comments over the speaker system were well worthwhile.

Spending time on the aft Caribe deck with binoculars was rewarding - very few people and little wind.

Seafood entrees were well-prepared.

Anytime Dining: Either arrive a good 15 minutes before the doors open; or wait much later closer to 7:30 pm

Buy laundry tokens in laundry room first day on ship before the machine is empty.

Crew, overall, very friendly and accommodating.

Walking the wrap-around Promenade deck was pure pleasure - great way to burn off some calories if you go around enough times.

stren003: Formal nights on the May 20 Southbound Coral voyage were Sunday and Thursday.

Sue the naturalist was so entertaining and informative. Her lectures as well as her comments over the speaker system were well worthwhile.

Spending time on the aft Caribe deck with binoculars was rewarding - very few people and little wind.

Anytime Dining: Either arrive a good 15 minutes before the doors open; or wait much later closer to 7:30 pm

Buy laundry tokens in laundry room first day on ship before the machine is empty.

Walking the wrap-around Promenade deck was pure pleasure - great way to burn off some calories if you go around enough times.

Thank you so much!!! First time cruising so these tips are very helpful. I do have anytime dining, so thank you for that piece as well, and I am on a cruise tour with land first, so will need to do laundry on the ship...will get tokens quickly! Did you have a balcony cabin and were you able to use it often with the weather/ wind? Did you do any specialty dining, and if so, thoughts? Any not to miss entertainment? Excursion experiences? Thanks again for sharing!

Tokens? I've have two rolls of quarters saved. Lol. Do you need cash or does it go on your princess card?

Thank you so much!!! First time cruising so these tips are very helpful. I do have anytime dining, so thank you for that piece as well, and I am on a cruise tour with land first, so will need to do laundry on the ship...will get tokens quickly! Did you have a balcony cabin and were you able to use it often with the weather/ wind? Did you do any specialty dining, and if so, thoughts? Any not to miss entertainment? Excursion experiences? Thanks again for sharing!

We had a forward-facing bumpout balcony a bit aft of midship. I specifically chose this cabin for its expanded views. Overall I was so happy with it even though we didn't use it much the first two rainy and rough days leaving Anchorage. Later in the week we enjoyed some drinks and nibbles and even one dinner on our balcony although we wore light jackets.

We ate in both Sabatinis and the Bayou Cafe. It was pleasant having a more relaxed pace and a different decor for a couple of evenings. Service was excellent. My husband and I don't eat beef so I can't comment on the quality of those entrees. However, we really enjoyed the seafood choices. The Bayou Cafe is larger and a more casual atmosphere than Sabatini's. If you can get a table by the window on any of the days you're cruising the inside passage, it's really pretty.

In Skagway we took a 3 1/2 hour White Pass Summit Rail and Bus Tour operated by Chilkoot Tours. Spectacular scenery and informative and entertaining coach driver. If taking bus going up and train down, sit on right side of both for best views. Opposite for the reverse scenario.

We elected not to spend money in Juneau for the more adventurous excursions but heard many passengers rave about the whale-watching ones. We walked to the new Alaska State Museum which isn't very large but excellently done. It's a beautiful new building with a focus on the indigenous people of Alaska. I'm not a huge museum person like my husband is; but I thought it was fascinating - so glad we went.

Lots of evening entertainment options: We thought the woman who is the singer with the group Project 5 had a beautiful voice and performed a great tribute show to Whitney Houston. My husband was a fan of the comedian/magician who performed with his dog Indie. We would have liked to go to more shows but we were often in the middle of dinner or enjoying watching the scenery on the outside decks.

Hope this info helps.

Us too. I suspect we'll be the "younguns" on this cruise from what I can tell. 2 families with 40ish parents & kids age 5-11, plus grandparents.

Alaska cruises tend to skew somewhat younger than other Princess itineraries. There will be plenty of families.

If the machine is empty you can try a machine on a different deck or get them from passenger services.

Tokens? I've have two rolls of quarters saved. Lol. Do you need cash or does it go on your princess card?

Save your quarters (and their weight) JA ;p All the ships are using tokens now which you purchase with your cruise card. Anthony, a laundry aficionado, loves them. :D

STUMPTOWNGIRL,

I have been on plenty of cruises with Princess and have had to chase around on different floors for the elusive laundry coin. Thank you so much for the great tip.

(Wish there was a symbol here for hand palm on forehead!)

What was bad about the Emerald sailing?

STUMPTOWNGIRL,

I have been on plenty of cruises with Princess and have had to chase around on different floors for the elusive laundry coin. Thank you so much for the great tip.

(Wish there was a symbol here for hand palm on forehead!)

You're welcome. I also welcome any advice that frees up more time to get down to the serious business of enjoying the cruise. :)

Us too. I suspect we'll be the "younguns" on this cruise from what I can tell. 2 families with 40ish parents & kids age 5-11, plus grandparents.

Yup....I'm 40-ish and my son is 15, just the two of us...husband and daughter are staying home due to work! Are you doing land as well? We are doing 8 days of land before the cruise, starting at Fairbanks.

We are traveling with our 5 year old and 3 year old- as well as grandparents. First cruise for me so nervous about it- and getting kids ready for it!

We are traveling with our 5 year old and 3 year old- as well as grandparents. First cruise for me so nervous about it- and getting kids ready for it!

We were on the Coral last month and there were many times I commented to my husband that our two grandkids (ages 4 and 7) would love something or other on the cruise ship. Besides the pool, there is the ice cream bar nearby and the pool pizza bar; movies on the big screen; puppies in the atrium one afternoon; buy some inexpensive kid binoculars; etc.

We were on the Coral last month and there were many times I commented to my husband that our two grandkids (ages 4 and 7) would love something or other on the cruise ship. Besides the pool, there is the ice cream bar nearby and the pool pizza bar; movies on the big screen; puppies in the atrium one afternoon; buy some inexpensive kid binoculars; etc.

Thank you for the encouragement- and tip about the binoculars!

Great! Since our first (and only other) cruise was on Disney, I'm worried we may be a bit spoiled as far as kid activity, but from what I could tell, Princess has really worked on making sure it has similar fun "Kid Club" type activities. We're getting excited.

The other thing I'm a bit worried about is that for our other cruise, we just drove to the port, so we didn't have to worry about overpacking and airline fees. We're going to have to be much more strategic this time -- and it's going to be harder because colder weather gear is bulkier. At least this time we don't have to bring pirate and Mary Poppins costumes. :)