Formal wear

Charlie1422

Well why do they both say something different????

Different paragraph.

Different answer.

Take your pick.

All I can say is for the past 15 years the formal routine has slowly been going away.

It's the best of both worlds for all concerned. My preference is a short sleeve guayabera shirt with dress pants.

My husband has a tux and he looks very handsome in it. My kids dress up too but since they are growing we still buy suits (not tuxes) for them. They have both dark and light suits.

Dress with what you are comfortable in. Sports coat, suit, with or without jacket, you will find the dress varies and people are passionate with their views. Just be sure you follow the dress code and you will be fine.

If you don't want to dress up for formal night there's always a speciality restaurant or HC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take a white dinner jacket for formal nights. It's my only chance to wear it! On our last Princess cruise - Emerald to New Zealand - I'm pretty sure I was the only passenger wearing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Need some advice from experienced Princess cruisers. We have just booked our first Princess cruise. We have mostly cruised on HAL, which has changed from formal night to "Gala night". Two cruises ago I stopped bringing my tux since hardly anyone wears one any more. I see from the Princess site that tux or suit is expected. Is this the case or would Sport coat and tie be acceptable. I'll be happy to pack the tux if that's the norm. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

What level of Formal you choose for Formal Night is entirely up to you. If you and your wife love the whole tux and ballgown style then I say that's wonderful and you'll see others dressed the same. A dark suit, white dinner jacket or smart sports coat for you and super cocktail dress for her is equally Formal in my book.

We love the whole dressing up thing and have found that most others do too. The men look so handsome and the women so glamorous who wouldn't want to rekindle their love for one another?

What gets my goat is those who flaunt the whole Formal Night concept and sit beside you in the MDR wearing a shirt without a jacket or tie, and her in OK daywear . It really detracts from our enjoyment of Formal Night especially if we're in tux or dark suit and ballgown. Comes down to a table for two please.

Edited by wishfulone

Per the Princess web site.

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes

(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

As you can see Princess is very lenient about dress. It's not as formal as it was in past years.

Can you send the link to this information? Clicking on the other posters link, I do not see it but you say it is there....

Nevermind...I found it. It is in a 3.1.13 posting on "tips of what to pack;" not under the actual FAQ. As not being ones to dress "at the very least" as I was taught it was always better to be over dressed than under, we will opt for traditional semi-formal attire. Being a woman, it's very easy to have an appropriate gown or elegant black dress. My sons already have tuxes from school performances, so DH will be in a tux also.

Edited by A&Jfamily

I sure can.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Under "Packing for Your Cruise" at the bottom you'll see "Learn more on what to pack for a cruise".

The bottom paragraph states "For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

This has been their official practice since at least since 2013 and unofficially earlier than that.

Of course you can always choose to dress up every night, even on casual evenings if it suites you. Many people do.

Need some advice from experienced Princess cruisers. We have just booked our first Princess cruise. We have mostly cruised on HAL, which has changed from formal night to "Gala night". Two cruises ago I stopped bringing my tux since hardly anyone wears one any more. I see from the Princess site that tux or suit is expected. Is this the case or would Sport coat and tie be acceptable. I'll be happy to pack the tux if that's the norm. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Depends on the ship. The Regal really got dressy at times. Though some here will urge you to dress down(please ignore them)A sport coat, nice shirt/slacks/nice shoes & you'll be fine. I'd suggest a tie, or bowtie(which can really look stylish)You'll see tuxes, but normally less than 25%. I just all depends on how you want to look. If you want to look like a million, then dress to the nines. If not, a sport coat etc. is fine. The specialty rest. are always "smart casual", by the way.

I take a white dinner jacket for formal nights. It's my only chance to wear it! On our last Princess cruise - Emerald to New Zealand - I'm pretty sure I was the only passenger wearing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd never wear white. That way everyone would know what I had for dinner.