Howl at the moon

snownow

So i am 39 days out from Vacation! One of our favorite items on the escape is Howl at the moon. The guys they have had our last few trips have been amazing, add to that Tyler the cruise director hopping in. A good time.

However, I always have a few drinks then get in there and go "you know ... That Song... By that guy... whats his name?" So in preparation. What are your favorite dueling piano request songs?

I will admit it is funny when my wife tries to get the all male cast to sing I will survive.. :')

Since they almost always have guys playing piano and singing I usually request a song that requires a sultry female singing voice. For example, "I Touch Myself" by the Divinyls. It's always a hoot to watch a guy try to sing a song that a guy shouldn't attempt to sing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since they almost always have guys playing piano and singing I usually request a song that requires a sultry female singing voice. For example, "I Touch Myself" by the Divinyls. It's always a hoot to watch a guy try to sing a song that a guy shouldn't attempt to sing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh... that is Amazing....

I have been to Howl at the Moon in San Diego and many other performances in this genre in other cities. It is amazing to me to watch people throw money at these performers thinking they take requests. These guys or girls only play what they want to and pretend these are requests. They will play things that get audience participation and are comfortable playing. This is not like Karaoke which is yuk,

I like go to these shows and have fun but know that they have a set playlist and script they follow. It is probably a dozen songs or more and maybe a request or 2 if they like it.

YMMV

They definitely have the mainstay songs they toss in to keep the crowd in it, at least on board they they have taken requests and played them... even up to college fight songs. I have been pretty amazed at the large number of songs these guys actually know. Last trip, my wife requested 4-5 songs and they covered them all, even the "man hater song" i will survive.

I have been to Howl at the Moon in San Diego and many other performances in this genre in other cities. It is amazing to me to watch people throw money at these performers thinking they take requests. These guys or girls only play what they want to and pretend these are requests. They will play things that get audience participation and are comfortable playing. This is not like Karaoke which is yuk,

I like go to these shows and have fun but know that they have a set playlist and script they follow. It is probably a dozen songs or more and maybe a request or 2 if they like it.

YMMV

YMMV

This is absolutely not true. The show is not in any way a scripted performance on board NCL with a set list. Yes, each different pianist will do things that are designed to move the show along but requests are a major component. That being said, the requests won't take over a show... just because someone writes its down, it is not guaranteed to be played. A lot of off the wall and inappropriate songs will be put aside if they determine it's not the right time of the night for them.

Go and have fun everyone! Every performer has their own strengths and will bring something different to the table. They have over 40 different pianists who rotate on the four ships that currently have the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by pmang

We loved the performers on the Epic when we sailed. They did play some of the requests (I saw one lady's request before they received it, and they played it). They also looked at several and said "Uh, no, this is a family show!" so I'm sure some of the requests were for Godless Rap Music or something.

We talked with one of the musicians one evening and asked how many songs one of the three could play. They have an extensive library of sheet music on their iPads, and he said between the three of them there are about 800 songs they could cover reasonably enough for fun loving people. Because of the format, he said there are only about 75 - 80 songs they get requests for routinely.

Good idea to make a list of songs. I think I shall do that.....Will they do "oldies" like the 60's? Love the 60's and 70's music.

Yes, depending on what it is. If its one of the classics that everyone knows, im sure they will know it.

I watched them every night on my Epic cruise and there were minimal repeats but the best was when other entertainment staff came in and they began this awesome Disney medley...I remember Part of your world was one of the songs....something from Aladdin and something from Beauty and the Beast. It was fun because all of the entertainment staff had fun with it so I will definitely request a Disney song or 2 next time..

Me and DH went to Howl at the Moon 3x on Breakaway in May and loved show. There were 2 guys and a girl who rotated on piano and occasionally girl would play drums. One night they did small portion of show singing sitcom theme songs I think everyone was singing along.

I watched them every night on my Epic cruise and there were minimal repeats but the best was when other entertainment staff came in and they began this awesome Disney medley...I remember Part of your world was one of the songs....something from Aladdin and something from Beauty and the Beast. It was fun because all of the entertainment staff had fun with it so I will definitely request a Disney song or 2 next time..

You might want to be careful with that. Some of them have their own "special", ummm...adult versions of Disney classics :') Just a warning to avoid a possible R rated surprise.

We requested this as a joke one night on a RCCL cruise and the piano guy actually played it!

Not surprising to me, a very popular song here in Canada. Love Howl at the Moon, on the ship or on land. We went to Pat O'Briens and Howl at the Moon in New Orleans ... loved them both, so much fun.

Enjoy.