Tipping (sorry!)

buchhalm

I know, I know... Another @$/!% gratuities question.

Most cruise lines will let you pre-pay tips at the time of booking. I like that, as it is out of the way. A few times I got a deal that included tips.

All cruise lines seem to say something like "x $ per DAY are charged/added to your account ". Should that not be "per NIGHT ".

Surely one would not be charged a day of gratuities when they kick you off the ship at 08.30...

Hmmmmmm

I know, I know... Another @$/!% gratuities question.

Most cruise lines will let you pre-pay tips at the time of booking. I like that, as it is out of the way. A few times I got a deal that included tips.

All cruise lines seem to say something like "x $ per DAY are charged/added to your account ". Should that not be "per NIGHT ".

Surely one would not be charged a day of gratuities when they kick you off the ship at 08.30...

Hmmmmmm

You will find that when they state per day like Cunard do, you only get billed for the actual number of nights on board. Which works out the same .

A 7 day cruise typically embarks and disembarks on the same day of the week. So technically, it's 6 whole days plus parts of 2 days and 7 actual nights. You are both right.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're on the Queen Elizabeth for the 29 nights trip to San Francisco and DH has just worked out how much the cost of tipping will be - in the region of £500. We believe in leaving the auto tips on, the crew work hard and deserve it BUT for reasons beyond our control our finances are suddenly being 'squeezed' and £500 is looking a lot of money.

If things don't improve he wants to stop the gratuities and just tip those people we see face to face, ie the cabin steward, and those who serve us in the MDR.

Neither of us feel comfortable with this and it is still a very much 'maybe scenario'. However if this is the case, at what point do we tell Guest Services of our decision and how much is a reasonable amount to tip?

Really hope it doesn't come to this but we need to look at all angles. Thanks in advance for any helpful and non-judgemental comments.

We're on the Queen Elizabeth for the 29 nights trip to San Francisco and DH has just worked out how much the cost of tipping will be - in the region of £500. We believe in leaving the auto tips on, the crew work hard and deserve it BUT for reasons beyond our control our finances are suddenly being 'squeezed' and £500 is looking a lot of money.

If things don't improve he wants to stop the gratuities and just tip those people we see face to face, ie the cabin steward, and those who serve us in the MDR.

Neither of us feel comfortable with this and it is still a very much 'maybe scenario'. However if this is the case, at what point do we tell Guest Services of our decision and how much is a reasonable amount to tip?

Really hope it doesn't come to this but we need to look at all angles. Thanks in advance for any helpful and non-judgemental comments.

Cunard sometimes place the gratuity charge on to your on board account on your second or Third day.

So if you decided to remove all gratuities I would do it as soon as possible after boarding. You could just reduce the amount and not further tip. Or remove completely and tip. It is up to you to decide to tip or not and no one else. If you decide to tip, tip what you can afford and are happy with.

There is a sticky on tipping by Bell Boy, however I am not so sure that the staff do get the gratuities as extra. I believe they get those gratuities that are given as part of their wages and if not given by passengers, then Cunard make the money up themselves. So in fact Cunard are not actually lying when they say The staff get the auto gratuity, but if you don't keep the auto gratuity on, then I believe Cunard pay it.

Carnival have always given a politicians answer to this question when asked.

I believe they are getting scared with many people now removing the Gratuity charge. P&O now showing the Gratuity charge as "a Service Charge"

Edited by Pennbank

I believe a fairer, and easier, solution (which I assume is possible) would be to leave the auto gratuity in place but reduce its amount. This way, everyone who should benefit will do, albeit to a reduced level. I don't think it's practical to tip directly everyone who serves at breakfast, lunch and dinner and in the buffet (and therefore who you see face to face) - but if you don't tip everyone, somebody will miss out through no fault of their own.

I agree with Teddy123. You can't see the hardworking folks in the background. I do understand a trip being more expensive than anticipated. For future cruises, you might want to do prepaid gratuities right up front with the price of the cruise. We do that and then we give our face to face folks a little extra in envelopes on the last day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also believe a reduced amount is better than nothing if financial circumstances dictate. It is quite a long cruise you are on so perhaps it will be possible over the piece to contain normal personal spending to make tips more affordable?

If you go down the route of handing over cash tips instead l would not sweat over the right amount, l would base it on what you can afford as mentioned above. Your tip will be accepted graciously no matter the amount by the crew member without comment other than a simple thank you and perhaps a hand shake.

M-AR

I believe a fairer, and easier, solution (which I assume is possible) would be to leave the auto gratuity in place but reduce its amount. This way, everyone who should benefit will do, albeit to a reduced level. I don't think it's practical to tip directly everyone who serves at breakfast, lunch and dinner and in the buffet (and therefore who you see face to face) - but if you don't tip everyone, somebody will miss out through no fault of their own.

I would think the staff we never see are paid a higher salary, what about the drinks staff I hear the 15% on every drink pays for their wage and tips? I feel it is wrong when one sits at the bar drinking, we are still charged we are still charged 15%. What I would like to know is all the tips shared. by all staff including senior officers? Interesting.

Having been made redundant last year and now being in a job that pays a lot less I find harder to justify the price of these tips, especially with the exchange rate that makes it nearer £9.50 pp per day.

If people can afford to pay it, that is the choice of that person , if you can't don't.

So when one looks for a deal including tips or a pre-payment of tips facility being offered prior to embarking are we trying to get a lower cash layout to save money? Surely if the amount is the same as leaving auto-tips on and no such facility were offered you could just pay for some OBC and assign it in one's own mind to "gratuities" and then it is completely dealt with prior to boarding.

In order for one to justify the reduction of the daily tips amount surely, there has got to be a bona fide reason for doing so relating to the service one is receiving and this must be in some way diminished. If one wishes to completely cancel the daily auto-tips and tip independently again surely people have got to be genuinely not thinking "if we do this we can save a load of cash".

Regards John

Having been made redundant last year and now being in a job that pays a lot less I find harder to justify the price of these tips, especially with the exchange rate that makes it nearer £9.50 pp per day.

If people can afford to pay it, that is the choice of that person , if you can't don't.

Sorry, but your personal circumstances are unrelated to whether the hard working staff deserve their compensation. It may have an effect on whether you can afford the trip with associated costs in the first place.

If you can't afford the cost, don't take the trip. But don't short the staff because you need to economize at their expense.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Sorry, but your personal circumstances are unrelated to whether the hard working staff deserve their compensation. It may have an effect on whether you can afford the trip with associated costs in the first place.

If you can't afford the cost. Don't take the trip. But don't short the staff because you need to economize at their expense.

I can afford the cost but it's my choice if I want to tip or not.

Why do people always refer to them as the hard working staff ,yes they do a job as we all do and get paid for it.

If they are not happy they can leave.

Oh and Tips are not an associated cost .

Just because you feel the need to tip every tom dick and Harry , that's a choice for you.

Why do people always refer to them as the hard working staff ,yes they do a job as we all do and get paid for it.

Just because you feel the need to tip every tom dick and Harry , that's a choice for you.

The sooner Cunard increase the fares to build in the gratuities, the better for the crew and for passengers.

I think it is true to say that Cunard passengers are expected to pay gratuities on their voyages but it is not compulsory. The cruise line has introduced an auto-gratuities system to facilitate paying tips more easily. There is also process permitted whereby you may cancel or reduce the daily amount. Generally if you opt to do this is is understood that you will pay gratuities independently unless you think the service you receive is really awful. .

There are people who use the rules to enable the saving of cash as a result then spend the money they save on themselves and pay less or nothing at all. This is not something I would do and I do not believe many people do either.

Regards John

My point is that because the tips are in $ I would rather give some of the staff I deal with pounds in an envelope as it suits me to do it that way.

If the tips are removable then people may well take that choice.

We came off the short trip to Bruges last month and we saw a lot more people removing tips than ever before.

My point is that because the tips are in $ I would rather give some of the staff I deal with pounds in an envelope as it suits me to do it that way.

If the tips are removable then people may well take that choice.

We came off the short trip to Bruges last month and we saw a lot more people removing tips than ever before.

But because the crew's compensation is based on USD, they still are shorted nonetheless.

And if a crew ever deserved compensation, it's after 2 day cruises with back-to-back turnarounds like the Bruges jaunt (which was midway through our recent RT crossings) Yes, you should not be responsible for the increased workload due to Cunard's scheduling, but neither should you short them what they deserve, earn, and rightfully expect.

Pay the price or don't go. If you have a serious issue with service that was unresolved, then you have a right to decrease the tips. But because the exchange rate pinches more than you expect is NOT a reason to penalize the crew.

Not so easy for them to "just leave" and find something better.

Sorry - it is NOT an optional extra - it is an expectation. You may not like it, but that is the truth.

If I attend a wedding and reception, technically, it is my option to give the newlyweds a present, but of course it's expected. Could I attend and not give a gift? Yes. It's technically my option. But by doing so, I'd be a cheap, ungrateful guest.

The same applies to tips while cruising. Like it or not.

The sooner Cunard increase the fares to build in the gratuities, the better for the crew and for passengers.

According to some here that would be the end of the world.

Seems to work fine in Australia.

According to some here that would be the end of the world.

Seems to work fine in Australia.

Agreed. Unfortunately, that model (and variations thereof) have been tried many times in the US and they all fail. Personally, either the Aussie approach of simply good wages or the European model with honest wages and clearly stated service charges would be preferable to me.

But the reality is that for US-based businesses, tips are part of the expected compensation. Expected not only by the employees, but also the taxing authorities.

Agreed. Unfortunately, that model (and variations thereof) have been tried many times in the US and they all fail. Personally, either the Aussie approach of simply good wages or the European model with honest wages and clearly stated service charges would be preferable to me.

But the reality is that for US-based businesses, tips are part of the expected compensation. Expected not only by the employees, but also the taxing authorities.

Sorry I was talking about cruises here in Australia, all the Carnival brand lines and now the RCI lines with ships here long term or for the season now charge a fare that includes gratuities, Carnival Corp have been doing it on ships here for ages Royal just started.

And guess what the world hasn't imploded, we have one if the fastest growing cruise markets in the Workd, the crew seem to love being based here, and fares are pretty much the same as elsewhere (sometimes even before you add gratuities on).