Tipping with Freedom Dining.

bee-ess

Thanks Florry you are exactly right - it is a tip not a Service charge. We felt on our last cruise on Britannia that both our Cabin steward and our waiters 'did their job' nothing more or less. There was zero interaction with the waiters despite all attempts to engage with them and honestly felt that their tips were not earned. Then we read many conflicting comments on here about tipping, some saying that all the money went to be shared, some saying that cash tips were pooled, some saying that the reciipients kept them etc. etc so we decided to revert to the traditional envelope method as frankly, we don't want P&O keeping our money.

The reason for the change of Dining is related to the other thread about Show Times - as 2nd sitting people I think we would miss out, because we would not want to go pre-dinner (thats our drinking time, bad as it sounds) and after dinner all the tables in the other entertainment lounges will be taken be the early and freedoms that have already seen the show.

If we change to Freedom I think we will just pay the autotip for simplicity.

I understand your conundrum and all of your reasons, you are not alone in your thought processes - the last tipping thread was very interesting and informing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I cannot believe that yet again we have another "Tipping" thread.

Why don't people just read the many threads that have went before?

Why do so many people have such difficulty deciding what they should do with regard to tips?

Apologies for asking a question - having never had Freedom dining I was asking what others on Freedom did, that's all. Next time I will ask your permission first.

I stated at the top that I didn't want to start another tipping thread.

Apologies for asking a question - having never had Freedom dining I was asking what others on Freedom did, that's all. Next time I will ask your permission first.

I stated at the top that I didn't want to start another tipping thread.

No need to apologize because you only learn if you ask questions.

... we decided to revert to the traditional envelope method as frankly, we don't want P&O keeping our money.

P&O state very clearly, eg at http://www.pocruises.com/explore/articles/news/introducing-our-new-service-reward-programme, that ALL tips go to staff. So clearly your rationale for removing the Service Charge is that you think P&O are liars. As has been said, you are entitled to this opinion.

P&O state very clearly, eg at http://www.pocruises.com/explore/articles/news/introducing-our-new-service-reward-programme, that ALL tips go to staff. So clearly your rationale for removing the Service Charge is that you think P&O are liars. As has been said, you are entitled to this opinion.

If no staff contradict what P&O say we should all believe and leave our autogratuities on.

*rolls eyes*

Perhaps I should reword my question. What do other Freedom diners who have removed the Autotip do ?

I would just tip the waiters in the evening if you are going back to the traditional way. It's your choice and not your responsibility to pay the staff. A tip is a tip. If you have decided this is best for you based on all that you have read then stay resolute in your choice. Everyone has an opinion, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone has the right to tip accordingly.

Bee ess, you may not like the answers you have received but leaving the auto tip on is the only sensible way to ensure that those staff whose wages are kept deliberately low because they normally benefit from tips, do in fact receive the necessary uplift.

All cruisers really do need to accept that tips on cruises are NOT a reward for extra service rendered, but an extension of crew wages. OK so a lot of people don't like that idea but until they get rolled up into the cruise fare, the only sensible way is to leave on the auto tip.

Bee ess, you may not like the answers you have received but leaving the auto tip on is the only sensible way to ensure that those staff whose wages are kept deliberately low because they normally benefit from tips, do in fact receive the necessary uplift.

All cruisers really do need to accept that tips on cruises are NOT a reward for extra service rendered, but an extension of crew wages. OK so a lot of people don't like that idea but until they get rolled up into the cruise fare, the only sensible way is to leave on the auto tip.

I agree totally,and well done to your premier football team.

Good point!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What nobody not even P&O have answered in the past over many threads that if the staff do not receive high enough marks on the questionnaire then they do get penalised and don't get their full portion of the service Reward Scheme. So my question is where does this money not held back by P&O is it given to those that have received excellent marks so they are getting "extra" at the expense of those that have not if they do not where does that money go that has been withheld by P&O.

What nobody not even P&O have answered in the past over many threads that if the staff do not receive high enough marks on the questionnaire then they do get penalised and don't get their full portion of the service Reward Scheme. So my question is where does this money not held back by P&O is it given to those that have received excellent marks so they are getting "extra" at the expense of those that have not if they do not where does that money go that has been withheld by P&O.

Interesting question and i look forward to hearing what the answer is.

How do you cancel tips?This is my first cruise,do you go to reception on the second day to cancel?

Yes, you have to fill in a form, but we never have because we have always received excellent service and think the staff deserve their tips.

We have always left auto tips on but on our next cruise we are doing 44 nights. This makes the tips over £500 which is a awful lot of money. What would you do as we are on freedom dining?

This was one of the reasons that we have decided to revert back to envelopes. We feel happier giving the money to the individuals rather then giving it to P&O to decide what to do with it.

And, presumably, going without lunch and tea every day!

I usually answer politely and tried to give a helpful answer to Florry's original question so there was no need for sarcasm. Actually it's none of your business in any case but we only eat breakfast and dinner on board and a coffee or snack if we're ashore. If we do want something to eat later in the day we'll order from room service - and yes tip the waiter. If you're interested we don't have supper either.

We eat to live, not live to eat and unlike some people on a cruise we don't go thinking we've got to eat 24/7 to get our money's worth. We also believe firmly in tipping for good service and that is what we will do on this cruise as always.

I hope that answers your question

I was trying to respect Florry's wish that this didn't develop into general tipping thread but I have to say that is exactly the reason we are no longer paying automatic gratuities. We met a member of staff who had had their tips withheld because of a complaint so we contacted P&O to ask what happened to the auto-gratuities people had paid in circumstances like that . They were very reluctant to answer. It took several emails before they said it would be distributed to other crew but was used only as a last resort. I know for a fact that this was not a last resort in the case of the member of staff I met because they were very new to the system.

I was not happy with that answer. If I am happy with the service given to me by cabin stewards and waiters I want them to receive tips from me and my husband. I don't want other crew I haven't even met to be given the tips I have paid. For that reason we will not pay auto-gratuities any more.

We have always left auto tips on but on our next cruise we are doing 44 nights. This makes the tips over £500 which is a awful lot of money. What would you do as we are on freedom dining?

Personally, I would leave the auto tips on. In my opinion, the length of the cruise is irrelevant. The tip is a per day charge just as the cost of the cruise effectively is. If we assume that the service received each day is the same, why would one think that it is correct to apply auto tips for a 14 night cruise but not for a 44 night cruise? Obviously, there is the opportunity to not say the auto tips but if one wants to do that, I don't see the relevance of the duration. If I were a staff member I would probably be thinking "why work on a 44 day cruise where the customers choose not to appreciate or reward me when I could do six 7 night cruises where I feel appreciated and rewarded?"

What I don't like about the questionnaire is that you feel you have to mark the staff excellent - many stewards ask for this directly and I have heard a couple of captains announce as well that this is what they expect on the questionnaires. Unless anything was really bad - which would be rare - I go along with this - but I do feel that if you use a customer questionnaire you the provider of the service will only gain a benefit from it (and improve your offering) if you encourage your customers to be honest.

Isn't it about time P and O included the cost of tips in the cruise fare ala Thompson and did away with this ludicrous practice of "tipping", They could of course pay there staff a reasonable wage in the first place and then there would be no need for tips. After all you don't expect to add an extra amount to you bill in a hotel or tip the barman in a pub in the UK so why do the UK cruise lines need to incorporate this outdated practice on their ships.

Isn't it about time P and O included the cost of tips in the cruise fare ala Thompson and did away with this ludicrous practice of "tipping", They could of course pay there staff a reasonable wage in the first place and then there would be no need for tips. After all you don't expect to add an extra amount to you bill in a hotel or tip the barman in a pub in the UK so why do the UK cruise lines need to incorporate this outdated practice on their ships.

...but it is very common to see a service charge on a restaurant bill.

Like you, I would prefer to see a single charge for the cruise with any additional discrretionary tips being down to the customer.