Fall western coastal cruise rough seas?

I am new to Cruise Critic and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me a little about the re-positioning cruises. My husband and I are thinking of taking a Fall (early October) cruise from Vancouver B.C. to San Diego and we were wondering if anyone has taken that cruise and if the seas tend to be rough that time of year?

We have taken several cruises with Holland and love the line, but have never tried a re-positioning cruise. Is the food, entertainment, service, etc... just as nice as it is on their regular prime season cruises?

Thanks for any help with these questions in advance.

I am new to Cruise Critic and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me a little about the re-positioning cruises. My husband and I are thinking of taking a Fall (early October) cruise from Vancouver B.C. to San Diego and we were wondering if anyone has taken that cruise and if the seas tend to be rough that time of year?

We have taken several cruises with Holland and love the line, but have never tried a re-positioning cruise. Is the food, entertainment, service, etc... just as nice as it is on their regular prime season cruises?

The seas can be a bit rougher, but it really depends on the weather, so there is no way to predict.

I am taking the same type of cruise as you outlined this Fall, so it obviously does not worry me too much.

I am of the opinion that the service on these Coastal cruises are "a bit" off from the norm for HAL. I blame it on the shortened cruise (most HAL cruises are 7 days or longer), plus they only run these twice a year, so the crew does not have a solid "routine" to follow (unlike a 7 day Alaska cruise which is repeated each weak for 4 months).

Just my opinion of course.

We took this one last Fall and we had one night that was bouncy. We enjoyed it very much and didn't notice any difference from longer cruises. (We are 4 star). It's the first days of a longer cruise after all.

We did this one last year (left on October 18 and stayed on doing Mexico). It can be rough and foggy but no way to predict.

You usually won't have a surf n turf night on the short cruise but we've never had an issue with their food.

We enjoy the Coastal cruises as we love San Diego and usually spend a few days there.

If we weren't going on a long Caribbean cruise later in the year we would have done the Coastal & Mexico again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this one last year (left on October 18 and stayed on doing Mexico). It can be rough and foggy but no way to predict.

You usually won't have a surf n turf night on the short cruise but we've never had an issue with their food.

We enjoy the Coastal cruises as we love San Diego and usually spend a few days there.

If we weren't going on a long Caribbean cruise later in the year we would have done the Coastal & Mexico again.

You answered my question before I could type it- we were wondering if we would see you again this year :)

My retirement celebration cruise was on the Volendam from Vancouver to FLL and I recall no issues with regard to weather or unusual seas. I do recall a cruise that remains in my memory as a really great one (until I broke a tooth biting down on a peppercorn in the Lido Restaurant.) Every aspect of the cruise was what I expected. Go and enjoy!

You answered my question before I could type it- we were wondering if we would see you again this year :)

We really loved the cruise-look for us next year!! I've done 2 cruises already this year so have to dream until November!