Questions - when to buy internet package and coffee card - before or during cruise?

SantaFeFan

I will be purchasing a coffee card and an internet package for my wife to use on our Grand Princess Alaska cruise in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if there is any advantage to purchasing these before the cruise, or is it the same price if purchased on board. We have a lot of OBC and could use that for these purchases, but I am also a believer in getting the best price for things.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I will be purchasing a coffee card and an internet package for my wife to use on our Grand Princess Alaska cruise in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if there is any advantage to purchasing these before the cruise, or is it the same price if purchased on board. We have a lot of OBC and could use that for these purchases, but I am also a believer in getting the best price for things.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Coffee card costs the same regardless of when you purchase. Use your OBC.

Check the deal for the internet package that you can purchase before the cruise. Compare the cost and bonus minutes (?) if you purchase on the first day of the cruise. Then decide if you want to pre-purchase or use your OBC.

Sorry, I don't recall how much it costs, never purchased one, so don't pay much attention. But someone will likely post it.

You do need to compare the deals but unfortunately don't always know what will be offered on board until you board. For me I tend to buy ahead not because of a deal but because my work pays for my internet charges since that is the only reason I get it and I have to use a corporate charge card for that, personal charge for everything else, and I need a separate receipt to back the corporate charge card, it just works easier. Not sure if that is your situation, but if it is the one time that I didn't do this and had to put things through on different charges and get different receipts it was complicated.

Coffee card is the same pre or onboard.

No difference pre cruise or onboard internet minutes except for a the internet bonus of 20/40/60/80 additional minutes with the purchase of packages fro 100/200/400/600 minutes.

80 minutes would probably be used in a heartbeat with the unreliable internet on Princess ships.

I think onboard purchasing internet minutes you get 15-40 minutes extra? :rolleyes:

I think if you're platinum you'll get free internet minutes depending on your cruise days. Otherwise I know of the 40 minute embarkation special as mentioned above. Maritime internet is awfully slow btw, be careful on what you chose.

If you pre-purchase a Internet package, you get twice the number of bonus minutes (for most plans) than if you purchase the same package on board the first two days of the cruise.

If that is the only way to use up your OBC, then I would wait until the cruise.

If you did not get the gratuities included as a part of your booking, remember that OBC can be used for the daily hotel gratuity charge that covers your waitstaff and cabin steward.

I found there was a price difference on the coffee card. I pre-paid $35 and when I got to the ship (Crown, Apr 8) the menu in IC listed the price at $31. So, might want to wait on the coffee card.

The coffee card is $31 + $4.15 gratuity (15%) = $35.15. Same price prepaid or on board.

I found there was a price difference on the coffee card. I pre-paid $35 and when I got to the ship (Crown, Apr 8) the menu in IC listed the price at $31. So, might want to wait on the coffee card.
I was on the Royal last March and a couple of days into the cruise the coffee card was discounted heavily. Details were in the Patter.

Isn't that with/without gratuity?

OP: since no one mentioned this point...

As mentioned above, internet on the ship is glacially slow. Plan the times you'll go online for when fewer people are using it. The best times are really early in the AM (before 6) or late in the evening (after dinner while everyone is at the shows) or after 10 PM when most are in bed.