Is Equinox an ok choice just before a dry dock?

Stumptowngal

I'm having fun exploring options for Jan-Feb of 2019 and would like to try Celebrity again after a 15 year absence.

We are already booked with with a Princess Eastern Carribean cruise for Feb. 2018 and enjoyed three Eastern Caribbean cruises on Celebrity a long time ago.

We would like a change of pace and to try a Western Carribean cruise. I have my eye on an Equinox cruise, Aqua class, for Jan. 26, 2019. But I read on some site that the Equinox is scheduled that April for a dry dock. If that's true, are we likely to find the ship in less than a well-maintened condition; or does it not matter?

Any insight is appreciated.

Our 1st Princess was in 1992, most recent was the Ruby in 2012.

Our first Celebrity was in 1994, and our last 3 and next one this Nov will be our 3rd time on the Equinox.

Can ya see our pattern:confused: The current version of Princess does not hold a candle to Celebrity. Even with the pending dry dock, we would sail the Equinox, again.

We just sailed on her a couple of months ago and aside from a bit of rust on our balcony, they appear to be doing an amazing job of maintaining her. It seems as though the crew was always working on something, be it cleaning the nooks and crevices in the public spaces throughout the ship or painting / varnishing. They were even replacing some of the carpet while we were onboard.

I know 2019 is still a ways off in the future, but think she will still be in fine shape.

We were on Royal Caribbean Explorer 2 yrs. ago as the last cruise before dry dock (RC owns Celebrity, too). The ship was really looking pretty "tired" and in need of a thorough face lift. Having said that, if you can find a Celebrity itinerary you like on other Celebrity S-class ships during those months, I'd think you might like to pick another ship. Ships are required to dry dock every 5 yrs., so finding a ship that has been dry docked more recently than Equinox is an option. We were on Equinox in May and with the exception of the cabin curtains being torn and needing replaced, the rest of the ship looks fantastic!

I'd go ahead and book the Equinox, but we did sail on Millennium just before a dry dock. They actually started some of the work early during our cruise. For example, they were changing carpet, so they had huge rolls of carpet stored on the fifth floor outer deck. They were also starting to stage some of the other work. None of this was a major inconvenience.

If you like the price and itinerary, go ahead and book the cruise.

I'd go ahead and book the Equinox, but we did sail on Millennium just before a dry dock. They actually started some of the work early during our cruise. For example, they were changing carpet, so they had huge rolls of carpet stored on the fifth floor outer deck. They were also starting to stage some of the other work. None of this was a major inconvenience.

If you like the price and itinerary, go ahead and book the cruise.

I've read that on a few previous posts: they begin doing some of the work in the week prior to the drydock.

I've read that on a few previous posts: they begin doing some of the work in the week prior to the drydock.

We've had this and also they are still wrapping things up after the dry dock. One time, I think it was on the Mercury, they were still fixing stuff (noisily in the main dining room during dinner. In general, I'd try to avoid the weeks before and the weeks after just because of the pre-dry dock and the post-dry dock work that goes on.

We've had this and also they are still wrapping things up after the dry dock. One time, I think it was on the Mercury, they were still fixing stuff (noisily in the main dining room during dinner. In general, I'd try to avoid the weeks before and the weeks after just because of the pre-dry dock and the post-dry dock work that goes on.

I'm sure those that are on Connie currently would probably agree with your comments regarding post drydock too ;).

Generally, the week before or after a dry dock can have some issues, almost always minor (the recent Connie issue an exception rather than the rule). But I would have no issue booking then (and have done so more than once), particularly before. Celebrity does a great job in maintaining their ships and only once years and years ago was I on one of their ships that was in less than excellent condition - and even then the cruise itself due to service, staff, ports, etc.., was one of my all time favorites. Equinox is a beautiful ship - IMHO Celebrity's most beautiful - and I would not hesitate to sail her any time (in fact, have three cruises booked on her in the upcoming year)

I really appreciate everyone's comments. The Equinox cruise we are thinking of would be at least 6 weeks before a dry dock; so it looks like it wouldn't be a big concern. Still perusing other Celebrity options though - that's half the fun, of course.

I really appreciate everyone's comments. The Equinox cruise we are thinking of would be at least 6 weeks before a dry dock; so it looks like it wouldn't be a big concern. Still perusing other Celebrity options though - that's half the fun, of course.

I would say you don't need to change your plan only because of the dry dock. As previous posters eluded to, staff are always cleaning / maintaining aboard the equinox (I've been 4 times).

If you find an itinerary you like more, or better pricing, etc., then sure.., but don't let the dry dock scare you :).

Enjoy!

Being 6 weeks out for dry dock, don't worry. If it were the week or two before, then that would be different. I would never sail the week before.

Our recent Cruise ended May 26 on Equinox. The ship was well maintained, and looking good. As you can imagine a little wear can be found if you look for it. I would not think twice about booking again. As mentioned above we were on Explorer OTS in 2012 pre dry dock. You did not have to look hard to find the wear and tear. it was in your face.

We were on Equinox for the Mardi Gras trip, I was so sad to leave that ship. Was in awesome shape far as I was concerned.

I'd worry more about booking just after a drydock. Too often here I hear the lament of "We were booked and then they cancelled because the work wasn't finished."