White Pass- Is the train a must?

Alaska_newbie

We took the bus up and train back and enjoyed it. It's not the end of the world if you don't take the train, but it is a different perspective. If it doesn't strain your budget for other ports, I would do the train, but don't stress if you don't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a Dave Dyea tour booked which is taking a van both ways through White Pass. Should we definitely take the train back? Is it worth the extra $250 for our family?

Must? Do YOU want to take the train?? Do YOU have an interest in the narrow gage, engineering, scenery ( if is NOT the same as the Klondike Highway, history???)

Those are the reasons to take the train. Not just a random pole of what a few other posters have done.

I happen to always greatly enjoy the train, have taken all the routes/directions and never tire of it.

Figure out what works best for you.

Must? Do YOU want to take the train?? Do YOU have an interest in the narrow gage, engineering, scenery ( if is NOT the same as the Klondike Highway, history???)

Those are the reasons to take the train. Not just a random pole of what a few other posters have done.

I happen to always greatly enjoy the train, have taken all the routes/directions and never tire of it.

Figure out what works best for you.

Yes, what works for others might not work for you. We were in Alaska last week and the thought of spending the day on a train was not at all appealing to me. We much preferred spending our day in Skagway doing a NPS Ranger walking tour followed by some hiking. After the fascinating tour, it was just me and my spouse, for the most part, out in the countryside.

I am booked on Dyea Dave too with the train return. Everyone I talked to about Alaska made a point to tell me to take the train in Scagway. That being said, I have only 1 person to pay for, so the extra $85 is not too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the train up and a mini-bus back. Really enjoyed it and worth the money IMO. I like the train up as it goes a bit slower, plus I have heard complaints of braking noises on the way down.

Funny thing is, I have seen the train coming back into Skagway and noticed a number of people sleeping by the windows (they must have done the train both ways).

We booked with a local company, as the cruiseline did not offer the train up and bus back option. However, the cruiseline deal is nice as the train is right at the dock and VERY easy to access. We had to walk a bit to the end of the dock and then take the tour bus to the train station to board the train. Not a big deal, but boarding at the dock would have been nicer.

Edited by DaveOKC

Just back from Skagway and did a Yukon discovery 6 1/2 hour tour with Frontier Excursions and loved it. Candace our driver was awesome and we saw 2 bears on the way back! Don't think we would have seen those and been able to get awesome photos and video from the train!

Just back from Alaska and did mini van up at 8:30 am and train back. Chilkoot tours privately booked. Our wonderful driver was James. On the van we saw an Artic fox walking on the road side and a black bear on the side of the road munching dandelions! We liked the different viewpoints from the van and train.

Yes. I mean no. A must? What do you hope to see? Or are you going to let your imagination be your guide? It is not just about the train ride but also the history. Will you be riding in the past or present? So much to see and so much to make believe. I myself am always a 6 year old when cruising Alaska. I close my eyes and see things in my mind when history is involved.:D

• 3 weeks later...
SInce I am doing the four day Alyeskan Land Tour with NCL that has lots of train time, I don't think I will be missing that much by not taking this one.

For clarification- these are two VERY different trains. White Pass, is loaded with history and engineering, plus narrow gage. With the Alaska RR, by far the highlight is the Anchorage/Seward Route, along with Grandview run. Anchorage/Fairbanks pretty much just follows the Parks Highway.