Reliability of Flybe on the day of cruise departure

cruisefan2012

Ladies & Gentlemen

I`m in somewhat of a sticky wicket and would like some advice...

I have seen online that one my favourite comedians is on tour in 2018 and he just happens to be in Glasgow the night before my cruise on Friday 15th June 2018 with my cruise going on Saturday 16th June 2018 on P&O Aurora (R809)

Would you risk flying on Flybe from Glasgow to Southampton ON the day of your departure? I`m looking at their website on similiar dates for this year, They have two flights I could take ( that IS if the 2018 timetable is the same ) first flight is at 7am landing in Southampton for 830am and the second flight is at 10:20am landing into Southampton at 11:50am

Normally I would stay in Southampton the night before a cruise - He is just too funny too miss !!!

I`m aware of Flybes infamous nickname of "FlyMayBe" but having flown them up and down the land about 60 times since I dont know when I have only had 1 delay and 1 occasion where I missed the flight as I turned up too late...

Would I be better on easyJet or BA from Glasgow to Gatwick then getting a train? What would you do ?!....

Ladies & Gentlemen

I have seen online that one my favourite comedians is on tour in 2018 and he just happens to be in Glasgow the night before my cruise on Friday 15th June 2018 with my cruise going on Saturday 16th June 2018 on P&O Aurora (R809)

Would you risk flying on Flybe from Glasgow to Southampton ON the day of your departure? I`m looking at their website on similiar dates for this year, They have two flights I could take ( that IS if the 2018 timetable is the same ) first flight is at 7am landing in Southampton for 830am and the second flight is at 10:20am landing into Southampton at 11:50am

Normally I would stay in Southampton the night before a cruise - He is just too funny too miss !!!

I`m aware of Flybes infamous nickname of "FlyMayBe" but having flown them up and down the land about 60 times since I dont know when I have only had 1 delay and 1 occasion where I missed the flight as I turned up too late...

Would I be better on easyJet or BA from Glasgow to Gatwick then getting a train? What would you do ?!....

Buy the DVD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd say go for it and get the 7am flight if possible. If the flight is cancelled you have another one (albeit cutting it a bit fine time-wise) or you could get a flight to Gatwick as you say and get the train.

I'd book the comedian tickets, if needs be or you change your mind you can always resell them.

Dan

It all depends on whether you will enjoy sitting watching the comedian but still thinking and worrying about whether your flight the next day will get you to Southampton on time. If you think that half of your mind will be still thinking about the flight then I would give it a miss and go down the day before as usual. I certainly wouldn't be able to concentrate on a show the night before with such a long journey in front of me.

Absolutely no way would I risk it....my nerves wouldn't stand it!!

No one can tell you with any degree of a 100% certainly that any flight on the same day as a cruise will get you there on time.

I wouldn't risk any mode of transport...rail...car... flight on the same day as cruise....we always travel down the day before. Would only travel on the same day as cruise if we lived within a 50 mile radius and even then I know of someone who came "unstuck" and missed the cruise departure.

The only exception is if we take the coach transfer linked in with our cruise booking.

Travel by air the same day is too risky. What is your plan B? If Glasgow airport is not working.

I normally stay overnight in a hotel but left booking too late for a cruise in July. I decided to travel by train on departure day but I have 3 alternative ways of getting into London and 4 alternatives to get from London to Southampton. That's a plan A, B, C plus A, B, C and D. I also have a 5 hour window for arriving at Southampton. If I can't get there with those options lots of other people will be missing the ship too.

ps - I forgot to mention a friend could drive me there in less than 3 hours

I'd say go for it and get the 7am flight if possible. If the flight is cancelled you have another one (albeit cutting it a bit fine time-wise) or you could get a flight to Gatwick as you say and get the train.

I'd book the comedian tickets, if needs be or you change your mind you can always resell them.

Dan

My thoughts too.

Why not book the coach - does it not leave Glasgow at about 3am? At least if you booked the official one you know the ship would wait. Personally I don't think I would enjoy such a long journey but plenty of folk seem to manage fine with it

Dan

I'm with Dan on this issue, take the earlier flight then have the later flight as a fall back option. If the flights are really cheap buy a ticket for each flight in case the first is cancelled. Fall back on Travel Insurance, curtailment section if necessary.

Regards John

I fly from Glasgow or Edinburgh for cruises and wouldn't dream of flying on the day. The suggestion above to get the P&O coach from Glasgow is a good one. You would likely have a sleepless night after the concert anyway but could book the Holiday Inn at Buchanan St Bus Station if you want a few hours sleep and then sleep on the bus

My nerves would just not stand flying down on the day whatever the airline concerned. You only have to have some early morning mist/fog that takes an age to clear and you are scuppered.... I would take Gadabout's advice and take the coach. or buy the DVD lol

We have had delays out of Southampton back to Scotland due to fog several times. The incoming flights were obviously also delayed, so for me it would not be worth the risk.

One night of comedy against a cruise - no competition, for me anyway.

In a word 'Never'. Out of 6 flights to/from Southampton with 'flymaybe' we've had delays/issues on 5 of them. This airline is quick to cancel/delay flights and with a limited service on day of departure I would not risk it. For our next Southampton departure we're travelling down by train as I can't handle the stress and outrageous cost of a flybe flight to Southampton.

Ladies & Gentlemen

Always found Flybe very reliable from Newcastle.

It all depends on whether you will enjoy sitting watching the comedian but still thinking and worrying about whether your flight the next day will get you to Southampton on time. If you think that half of your mind will be still thinking about the flight then I would give it a miss and go down the day before as usual. I certainly wouldn't be able to concentrate on a show the night before with such a long journey in front of me.

I agree,your cruise costs a lot more than the comedian but if you have to go to the show i would get the earliest flight as usually the plane is parked overnight at the airport and less chance of a delay.

We have had delays out of Southampton back to Scotland due to fog several times. The incoming flights were obviously also delayed, so for me it would not be worth the risk.

One night of comedy against a cruise - no competition, for me anyway.

Us too Eglesbrech