Oasis of the Seas Incident

I'll try to put a full stop to the "lifeboat capacity vs. berth" topic, as someone who deals with SOLAS regulations every working day of my 42 year career. Since someone did a "mike drop" in a previous post, yet their facts were not quite correct, I will jump in. Yes, in fact, a passenger ship can have more "berths" or beds for passengers than lifeboat capacity. This is to give those desiring more than two to a cabin the choice of various cabin types. However, the ship will be considered "sold out" when the number of passengers equals the lifeboat capacity. As cruzer2 mentions there can be cases where because of high demand for 3/4th guests in cabins, that there are cabins unsold on a sold out cruise. The cruise line tries to avoid this by placing a stop on 3/4th guest bookings if it looks like this is going to happen to force groups to book multiple cabins.

And, to be factual, there is no legal requirement that all passengers be accommodated in lifeboats. Princess, for one, and maybe HAL have some passenger muster stations use a MES (Marine Evacuation System, the chute and large liferaft cluster), which is perfectly legal. SOLAS requires lifeboat/liferaft capacity equal to 50% of total people onboard on each side of the ship, and a total lifeboat/liferaft capacity equal to 125% of all people onboard (note I say all people onboard, which means passengers and crew).

I'll try to put a full stop to the "lifeboat capacity vs. berth" topic, as someone who deals with SOLAS regulations every working day of my 42 year career. Since someone did a "mike drop" in a previous post, yet their facts were not quite correct, I will jump in. Yes, in fact, a passenger ship can have more "berths" or beds for passengers than lifeboat capacity. This is to give those desiring more than two to a cabin the choice of various cabin types. However, the ship will be considered "sold out" when the number of passengers equals the lifeboat capacity. As cruzer2 mentions there can be cases where because of high demand for 3/4th guests in cabins, that there are cabins unsold on a sold out cruise. The cruise line tries to avoid this by placing a stop on 3/4th guest bookings if it looks like this is going to happen to force groups to book multiple cabins.

And, to be factual, there is no legal requirement that all passengers be accommodated in lifeboats. Princess, for one, and maybe HAL have some passenger muster stations use a MES (Marine Evacuation System, the chute and large liferaft cluster), which is perfectly legal. SOLAS requires lifeboat/liferaft capacity equal to 50% of total people onboard on each side of the ship, and a total lifeboat/liferaft capacity equal to 125% of all people onboard (note I say all people onboard, which means passengers and crew).

I was hoping you would stop by. How do you find all of these threads? The title of the thread could not have provided a clue, since, as has been noted by many, this thread went off topic (basically because of the lack of topic). Do you have a spy among us?

At any rate, thanks for stopping by.

Thank you again.Clarea and yourself IMO are the 2 main posters on CC and your advice has my 100% respect.

Exactly does anyone know.

No, and it's not that important anyway. We really have no business delving into someone's private affairs.

On the other hand, we did learn about full capacity and lifeboats. [emoji2]

So taking a thread off topic can be good in the long run

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

This thread has gone so off topic. Does anyone know what actually happened on Oasis?

Exactly does anyone know.

Nothing happened on the Oasis. The original post was just a cover to start a discussion about lifeboats, life rafts and max capacity. :evilsmile:

Although nothing happened, here is how it ended ...

yDSC_4305C.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

I know I really am letting "snarky" grow on me.

I used it twice already today in real life.

This sounds like a job for me! :evilsmile:

As for the original post:

If you had a family member who was injured, involved in an altercation, or died in the middle of a cruise, would YOU like to find out what happened to someone you love from someone who heard from someone who heard it from a cabin steward or worse, read on the internet?

Unless you're involved, you have no right to know and it is not only proper, it is essential that the staff say as little as possible to anyone who isn't related to whomever is involved.

Cuizer2

You handled yourself with class:D

Cruised with you on Enchantment/Balt

I try, but I don't always succeed. :loudcry: I can get pretty sarcastic when I am pushed too hard. :evilsmile: Ask John, he'll confirm it.

I remember the Enchantment cruise. I was so looking forward to the extra time in the ports, only to find out that the ports rolled up the sidewalks and turned out the lights at the normal time, leaving us to look at a big black hole in the sea.

B6.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

I think our ch**f engineer pops up when the word CH**F is entered on here. I blocked out the IE as not to bother him if I'm right. There was no way this thread would have been of interest to him. He must have a setting where if that word is typed, he has usually popped up in a few minutes............or he has ESP:cool: