1st HAL Cruise - WOW

Tananda

A little background ground, I cruised with my mom who is 74. I am 46. She had only cruised once before, and I had cruised a handful of times, all on Carnival. After that one cruise, she swore never again. Somehow, she decided that a spring break cruise would be fun. We researched and decided the NA western would fit the bill.

Thanks to the helpful folks here, I decided to surprise her with a retreat cabana so she could sit outside without any crowds.

Long story short, we were blown away by the ship and the service. The staff at HAL make you feel like royalty. Our room was always perfect. We had as you wish dining but fell in love with our team, Anto and Eko. We spoke with the dining room manager who arranged for us to sit with them the remainder of the cruise. Rashad who managed the cabana area was simply amazing. It was almost like he was disappointed if he couldn't go get something for you. The private cabana space was simply perfect.

Now Mom and I are booked on the NA eastern during spring break next year while DH and I will be cruising Alaska on her next May. Yes, Mom and I will book another retreat cabana even though I secretly upgraded us to an aft wrap Neptune Suite. DH and I have the same suite booked but think we will skip the cabana with the questionable weather.

We're sold and are now huge HAL fans. My one question is how do I get through my next Carnival cruise in November after being so spoiled?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

That's why we're doing the Carnival cruise first and the Holland America cruise second. :)

We're also on Nieuw Amsterdam next year to Alaska, in an aft wrap Neptune Suite. It'll be our first time in a suite since our Nile Cruise 16 years ago.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

A little background ground, I cruised with my mom who is 74. I am 46. She had only cruised once before, and I had cruised a handful of times, all on Carnival. After that one cruise, she swore never again. Somehow, she decided that a spring break cruise would be fun. We researched and decided the NA western would fit the bill.

Thanks to the helpful folks here, I decided to surprise her with a retreat cabana so she could sit outside without any crowds.

Long story short, we were blown away by the ship and the service. The staff at HAL make you feel like royalty. Our room was always perfect. We had as you wish dining but fell in love with our team, Anto and Eko. We spoke with the dining room manager who arranged for us to sit with them the remainder of the cruise. Rashad who managed the cabana area was simply amazing. It was almost like he was disappointed if he couldn't go get something for you. The private cabana space was simply perfect.

Now Mom and I are booked on the NA eastern during spring break next year while DH and I will be cruising Alaska on her next May. Yes, Mom and I will book another retreat cabana even though I secretly upgraded us to an aft wrap Neptune Suite. DH and I have the same suite booked but think we will skip the cabana with the questionable weather.

We're sold and are now huge HAL fans. My one question is how do I get through my next Carnival cruise in November after being so spoiled?

DH and I met on a Carnival cruise many years ago. We have warm feelings towards the cruise line and my first two cruises ever were on Carnival. DH and I sailed to the Mediterranean on Holland NA for our anniversary several years ago. We didn't cruise for a couple of years after that opting for land travel with the kids instead. Our next cruise after NA was Carnival......although we initially had warm feelings towards Carnival, after sailing NA and experiencing all they had to offer it just wasn't the same. As everyone says, vacations are what you make them but gosh it was a big difference between the two. I've always thought 'Carnival is great as long as you only cruise with them. If you leave and cruise other lines then return to Carnival make sure it's one of their newer nicer ships or a great itinerary.' [emoji4] I'm sure you'll have a great time on your upcoming Carnival cruise but you're right. After being spoiled it's hard to go back. [emoji38] Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I took my mom on a HA cruise once. The service was fantastic. Too bad there were only 8 others on board UNDER the age of 45 though. Better make that 55...... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣!

We move between HAL, Princess and Carnival. When we are on Carnival, we just adjust our expectations but always remember, "We're on a CRUISE!" (Any cruise is better than no cruise.)

Thanks for letting us know that your mother and you enjoyed your cruise and have book a couple of more HAL cruises.

Hope you tried the Tamarind Restaurant. We love that specialty restaurant.

Mom is a picky eater and didn't see anything on the Tamarind menu she wanted to try. DH and I will be trying Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill...maybe even Canaletto. By thw way, thw vegetarian menu in the mdr was out of this world!

I took my mom on a HA cruise once. The service was fantastic. Too bad there were only 8 others on board UNDER the age of 45 though. Better make that 55...... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣!

We also took my 85 year old Mom on a cruise to Alaska and were in a Neptune suite right by the Neptune Lounge. Mom cracked a couple of ribs the day before the trip and was in a wheelchair. The crew was absolutely fantastic toward her and she sure loved the attention.

I always say that the best part of a Holland cruise experience is the great crews.

To me 55 is young, and I love HAL because they take me to the places I want to visit, the wonderful treatment, and the interesting passengers.

P.S. - Someday you'll be one of those over-55s too.

Just the way a lot of us like it. :D:D:D:D:D!