Anthem Power Strip Confiscated

Why the need for a power strip. I was just on the tiny Empress of the Seas, and even they had 4 useable plugs. 3 110 and 1 at 240. Since I carry a cheap European adapters in my bag, that gives me 4 plugs, and except when the hair drier was being used, we only needed two plugs.

Our non surge protected strip block was taken boarding indy for the TA at FL,

First time taken in many cruises it's been with us,

We use it as our devices have UK plugs, so only need one adapter plugged into the 220v socket,

Since our uk voltage is 240 all our stuff would take alot longer to charge at 110v

I use a CPAP, and it's not always that there aren't enough outlets, but their location. I have found they aren't always close enough to the bed.

So I'm OK if it doesn't have surge protection?

We both carry CPAP's & I have always packed a plain extension cord in one of the CPAP bags. I've never any problem with it flying or cruising. I also request an extension cord from special needs just in case. The ships cord though is pretty big & there is only one plug. We have 2 machines to plug in.

DW and I were on the Allure last week and when we disembarked there was a table full with confiscated items to be reclaimed. There must have been 30/50 power/extension cords, also surprised to see the number of blenders and, irons.

DW and I were on the Allure last week and when we disembarked there was a table full with confiscated items to be reclaimed. There must have been 30/50 power/extension cords, also surprised to see the number of blenders and, irons.

Blenders?:eek:

I have friends that use CPAPs. Will let them know the medical option. I'm glad those irons and hot plates were caught. The risk of fire is too great. I observe the rules on this one for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never understood why people bring a power strip until recently we were on anthem with 3 people in the room. There wasnt enough outlets for all our devices.

What devices were the 3 people trying to plug in? If it's just to recharge USB devices like tablets and phones, then just use a multi-USB charger like thisd14ce5f623fa3bc463c891e35bea70e7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am was in Allure recently and had a power strip still in original packaging and they did not confiscate it I left in original packaging so they could see it did not have surge protection anywhere in the package and it made it just fine

What devices were the 3 people trying to plug in? If it's just to recharge USB devices like tablets and phones, then just use a multi-USB charger like thisd14ce5f623fa3bc463c891e35bea70e7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was thinking of bring my multi-USB with me on Freedom next week. Has anyone ever had any problem with these being confiscated? Mine is cordless.

SaveSave

We boarded The Anthem today and I was asked to remove mine! I was surprised because we are Star Class!

Thanks. I think I'll be leaving mine at home to be sure. Too bad because the cruise is only one part of an extended European vacation.

Thanks. I think I'll be leaving mine at home to be sure. Too bad because the cruise is only one part of an extended European vacation.

You can still take -you just might not have it on the ship - you'll get it back at the end of the cruise.

Supposedly, but you might want to contact special_needs@rccl.com and mention the CPAP anyway. They will give you an extension cord and distilled water.

In my experience, you should always notify special needs if you intend using a CPAP on board the ship. They promise to make an extension cord and water available but it doesn't always happen. I usually take two extension cords just in case. So far not had a problem but comments on this thread give me a cause for concern.

I will take the cords with me anyway. In worse case they will get confiscated and they will have to give me one of their's.

I was on the last Voyages of the Legend OTS and the Chief Engineer explained it this way one night in the Diamond Lounge as to why.

Each cabin has 2 outlets and the electrical system feeding the cabins is built for those two outlets. If everyone brought (not that this is going to happen but sections of the ship could have this problem) a power bar and it has 4 outlets you have now changed the number of outlets in your room and changed the electrical flow to your cabin. Doesn't matter how small that flow is but it all adds up down the line. He pointed out that even if every 3rd cabin did this it would cause a greater electrical flow on the system causing the wires to get warm/hot and the possibility of a fire. That of course is the last thing you want on a ship.

He said that most power bars are made in China and are questionable at best. He pointed out to the charger knock-offs Apple had problems with a few years back as an example.

It is just easier to take them at boarding than risk a fire.

He said it is no different than your house and using multiple plugs into an outlet. How many times do we hear of this as the cause for house fires?

What the heck is everyone charging? Last we cruised between the 2 of us:

2 phones, 1 shaver, 1 Bluetooth speaker, 1 iPad. Only 2 of those things need to plugged in at any one time. And there were 4 outlets in the room on Harmony. We were fine

What the heck is everyone charging? Last we cruised between the 2 of us:

2 phones, 1 shaver, 1 Bluetooth speaker, 1 iPad. Only 2 of those things need to plugged in at any one time. And there were 4 outlets in the room on Harmony. We were fine

Add cameras, kindles/nooks, fitbits, laptops, Apple Watch, etc.