Houston to Galveston- Liberty of the Seas

I apologize if this has already been discussed to death, but those of you who've done Liberty out of Galveston, what has your travel strategy been?

DH and I are booked for 10/1/2017-10/8/2017. We are planning on flying into Houston the day before, staying at a hotel by IAH, and then taking a limo/shuttle/etc to Galveston in the morning. My goal is to leave Houston no later than 9am.

I admit, I'm a bit paranoid and would rather wait at the pier than get stuck somewhere else d/t traffic, accident, etc.

If you have not made your flight arrangements, I would look into flying to Hobby (HOU) instead of IAH. HOU is much closer to Galveston and is serviced by Southwest.

Also, for shuttle/transfer ideas, check out the Gulf Coast Departures forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

If you're travelling in the winter, bear in mind that Galveston is often shrouded in fog and not only can your embarkation be delayed but also debarkation. On the cruise we took from Galveston, we were fortunate that we had booked hotels in Houston before and after the cruise. Due to the fog, we couldn't dock until well after 2 pm which meant a lot of passengers missed their flights home.

If you have not made your flight arrangements, I would look into flying to Hobby (HOU) instead of IAH. HOU is much closer to Galveston and is serviced by Southwest.

I second that! Far closer and much cheaper transportation.

Plus UBER and Lyft are back in/out of Galveston, so that's an additional option.

We sailed out of Galveston this past February, and decided to flip the sequence of hotel/shuttle. We took the shuttle to a Galveston hotel from HOU right after the flight arrived. That way we didn't have any stress getting to the pier the next morning. I don't like to drive more than 30 minutes the day of the cruise.

Also, check and see what's happening to the construction on I-45 going down to Galveston. That's the main reason we went down to Galveston the night before. It was a good idea, because we had a 30 - 45 minute delay getting down there.

Living in the area.. hopefully the construction on 45 will be opened up and you will be able to get to Galveston easily. That said, I agree with the poster above. Go on down to Galveston... Why would you want to stay near the airport? Hobby is considerably closer if you have cheap flights from Southwest, but IAH, is only about 45 minutes farther if that's a better flight for you.

If you stick with your original plan, leaving the hotel no later than 9 sounds about right. You shouldn't have much wait and would be able to get right on the boat.

Yes, it is easier to get to Galveston from Hobby than from Intercontinental, but that isn't always an option. Depending on location and circumstances IAH can be your only option. It is for DD and SIL this weekend.

You can handle your flight into IAH a couple of ways. You can stay at hotel in the area of IAH or you can take an Uber, Limo etc to a hotel in Texas City or NASA area and spend the night there. That will get you an hour closer to Galveston. You might even consider getting a rental car at Hobby for the day depending upon how much time you will have. Then do a second Uber/Shuttle/Limo to the port.

We will be spending the night this Saturday by IAH due to kids having an early AM arrival at IAH and plan to be on the road to Galveston in the 9/9:30.

We have cruised out of Galveston many times, we always fly into hobby ( which is about is 45 mins away from pier if there are no issues) , we then normally book a hotel by airport then take town car to pier, or towncar after flight and stay night at Galveston , we only had a issue getting from Hobby to Galveston once when there was a accident of the one bridge which caused our 45 min trip to become 2 1/2 hours ( IAH is about 30 mins father out) if you are really concerned I would get to Galveston day before . I would never get to pier before 11 am .

We have cruised out of Galveston many times, we always fly into hobby ( which is about is 45 mins away from pier if there are no issues) , we then normally book a hotel by airport then take town car to pier, or towncar after flight and stay night at Galveston , we only had a issue getting from Hobby to Galveston once when there was a accident of the one bridge which caused our 45 min trip to become 2 1/2 hours ( IAH is about 30 mins father out) if you are really concerned I would get to Galveston day before . I would never get to pier before 11 am .

The construction work in I-45 makes this commute a totally different situation. If it's still under construction, then staying in Houston overnight would make that drive very stressful going into Galveston the day of the cruise. We didn't care, because we literally had all night to get to Galveston with a prepaid hotel.

Galveston has a lot of charm to it. You would have a nicer evening there than being out by IAH. If you haven't finalized your travel, I'm another one who suggests Hobby. I know Southwest flies in there, not sure what other options you have from Vegas.

You shouldn't have fog issues that time of year but I would suggest making your return flight after 12 noon. And if you do stay by IAH, leaving at 9 should be fine on a Sunday. Boarding usually starts right around 11 am. Have fun and hopefully you will report back when you return - I'm onboard a few weeks after you so I'll be itching for intel!

You are very unlikely to have fog in Oct. That occurs mostly Jan- March. We also fly into Hobby, then stay at the Drury Inn which is only about $100 per night. Many hotels in Galveston are much higher. Then we take Cruise Connection shuttle to the port. It is only $25 pp and will pick up at the hotel.

Flying into Hobby isn't a good option for us. We need to fly United for a myriad of reasons, plus I've flown into Houston several times so I'm a lot more familiar with the surrounding areas.

I don't have a problem driving down around Hobby the night before and getting a hotel there. I wanted to avoid staying in Galveston the night before d/t prices being jacked up and many hotels requiring a 2 night stay. Are there any other areas worth staying that I can avoid the 45?

Flying into Hobby isn't a good option for us. We need to fly United for a myriad of reasons, plus I've flown into Houston several times so I'm a lot more familiar with the surrounding areas.

I don't have a problem driving down around Hobby the night before and getting a hotel there. I wanted to avoid staying in Galveston the night before d/t prices being jacked up and many hotels requiring a 2 night stay. Are there any other areas worth staying that I can avoid the 45?

I don't know about I45, but we've stayed both around Hobby and in Clear Lake near NASA. I much preferred the area around Clear Lake, plus it's closer to Galveston.

You can avoid I-45 until a point but eventually it is the only way on to the island. We were over there a few weeks ago and it looked like they were almost done with the construction. Our fear is always an accident on the bridge that goes onto the island. We have been caught up in one of those before and it's a nightmare.

Well I guess you could come down 288 and drive up from Freeport along the coastal route (note that there is a cash only bridge toll along this route), but it's a long way out of your way, when there may not be anything to worry about. If you're leaving at 9am and boarding doesn't end until mid-afternoon, I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

We are on the same sailing and also flying in the night before but to Hobby. I was planning on staying near the airport but just found a reasonably priced hotel in Galveston so we'll be staying there. Just booked my shuttle yesterday. Based on info found on cruise critic, I went with Galveston Express.

You could also look at staying in Kemah. It would have a much better vacation feeling than near the airport. If your arrives late at night, I would probably stick with your original plan, if not come on down to Clear Lake, Kemah, or even as far as Texas City if you want to be close but not on the island.

Personally, I think Clear Lake or Texas City are much better choices than around Hobby. Texas City is an easy 20 minutes to the port and hotels are cheaper.

We flew United into IAH and rented a car. Stayed near Hobby and turned in the car there. While we got a car service from Hobby to the port it actually would have been easier to take the ship shuttle - the first one left for the port just after 9 and they kept asking us if we wanted to go with them. Coming back we took the ship shuttle to IAH. We did a walk off (saw how they handled luggage on the B2B and didn't like bags sitting in puddles and falling off carts) and were on the bus before 8. It left about 10 minutes later.

We flew United into IAH and rented a car. Stayed near Hobby and turned in the car there. While we got a car service from Hobby to the port it actually would have been easier to take the ship shuttle - the first one left for the port just after 9 and they kept asking us if we wanted to go with them. Coming back we took the ship shuttle to IAH. We did a walk off (saw how they handled luggage on the B2B and didn't like bags sitting in puddles and falling off carts) and were on the bus before 8. It left about 10 minutes later.

LeeW, thank you for the post, that gives me a lot of hope for our cruise in early September. Unfortunately, the only flight that worked for us (the difference was like 10-15,000 skymiles per person, and there are four using skymiles) was flying out of IAH at 11:10 am. Do you remember what time the ship docked and what time people started getting off the ship? We will also be carrying our luggage off (I'm looking forward to this as I will look like a mule carrying my wife and three daughter's luggage off- YIKES!) as you did and are hopeful to be on the road around or before 8 as well.

Also, as a side note, for everyone suggesting Hobby airport, I agree with you, that is a much better situation as it is closer to the cruise terminal. However, please bare in mind that Hobby is a smaller airport and a lot of times has more expensive flights, or less flights to choose from, etc and is not always an options for people. I think if it were bigger/better priced, you would see less people griping on cruisecritic about cruising out of Galveston, as more people are coming from IAH than Hobby.

I am another who would recommend staying at a hotel on the Island. There is only one bridge in. One trip down there was a crash on the bridge and they had to close the bridge to land an air ambulance. We were held up for hours. Glad we were not sailing to the next day.

We sailed out of Galveston this past February, and decided to flip the sequence of hotel/shuttle. We took the shuttle to a Galveston hotel from HOU right after the flight arrived. That way we didn't have any stress getting to the pier the next morning. I don't like to drive more than 30 minutes the day of the cruise.

Also, check and see what's happening to the construction on I-45 going down to Galveston. That's the main reason we went down to Galveston the night before. It was a good idea, because we had a 30 - 45 minute delay getting down there.

We were on Liberty superbowl Sunday and the only hotel I could find with a room was in Galveston. We did what pcur did and it worked out very well.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I will be on this cruise with you!!!! It will be our first week-long cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship after many, many cruises on Carnival. <3

<this doesn't answer your question....but I had to check in! LOL!>

LeeW, thank you for the post, that gives me a lot of hope for our cruise in early September. Unfortunately, the only flight that worked for us (the difference was like 10-15,000 skymiles per person, and there are four using skymiles) was flying out of IAH at 11:10 am. Do you remember what time the ship docked and what time people started getting off the ship? We will also be carrying our luggage off (I'm looking forward to this as I will look like a mule carrying my wife and three daughter's luggage off- YIKES!) as you did and are hopeful to be on the road around or before 8 as well.

Also, as a side note, for everyone suggesting Hobby airport, I agree with you, that is a much better situation as it is closer to the cruise terminal. However, please bare in mind that Hobby is a smaller airport and a lot of times has more expensive flights, or less flights to choose from, etc and is not always an options for people. I think if it were bigger/better priced, you would see less people griping on cruisecritic about cruising out of Galveston, as more people are coming from IAH than Hobby.

We were on the Allure in Ft. Lauderdale last month. IF you carry off your luggage, you can leave the ship at 7:15 AM. Probably something similar in Galveston.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've just returned from the Liberty. While we drove from San Antonio, other family members flew into Hobby and also IAH. We stayed in Galveston at Westin Four Points, ate at the Original, made last minute wine purchases at WalMart. All routine. And then. Upon debarkation, it poured! Everything jammed. Huge potholes from parking lot to terminal filled with water. We finally headed out well after 10 am getting into San Antonio around 5. (We stopped for a quick Whataburger at some point.). Everyone made their flights as they all booked afternoon departures. Galveston needs to update in the worst way as departures and arrivals are all from one terminal.