Free isn't always free

Granny DI

Sorry, but what part of free don't you understand? Free means without cost. If you add on gratuities it is no longer free! It is sad the way we slaughter the English language. Must be some kind of statement about the education system of our country.

You would fail in any job requiring you to sell anything. Has nothing to do with your definition of the "English Language". It has to do with the context the words are being used in. Without context, the words are meaningless (having no meaning, lacking any significance).

Sorry, but what part of free don't you understand? Free means without cost. If you add on gratuities it is no longer free! It is sad the way we slaughter the English language. Must be some kind of statement about the education system of our country.

If you had a coupon for a free meal at a restaurant the meal is free, the tip is not free. Same thing here. Not sure why that is so hard for people to understand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you had a coupon for a free meal at a restaurant the meal is free, the tip is not free. Same thing here. Not sure why that is so hard for people to understand?

The fallacy in that logic is the restaurant doesn't force you to tip.

The cruise line not only forces you to tip but determines the amount if you choose the "free"package.

The cruise line not only forces you to tip but determines the amount if you choose the "free"package.

It is really easy, then don't choose the "free" perk if you don't want to pay the 18% gratuity, as no one is forcing you to choose it.

Some lines have packages that are all inclusive (gratuity is included)
Thanks, guess, if they don't want to pay the gratuities, another choice would be to sail on those lines.

I'm doing this from memory, so if I'm incorrect, someone please let me know.

Celebrity's 3 night package is $109, which includes gratuities. On NCL a 3 night package is $69, plus gratuities of $12.42, which totals $81.42 (and you can save $10 on it by purchasing in advance).

Some lines have packages that are all inclusive (gratuity is included)

This was the case for NCL, which is why so many became loyal.

NO LONGER...They will continue to charge additional fees for anything they can. It seems every few months they "quietly" add additional fees or raise existing charges.

This will be our last NCL Cruise....

It is getting just egregious ...

Then there are those who believe tipping is theft.

My question.....

Is this now going to be policy going forward or just part of the current promotion.

The current promotion is set to expire June 30.

I am thinking I will wait until July to book my Suite, hoping that the additional grats will gone.

Color me optimistic. :rolleyes:

Saw this on another thread that I've been actively participating in that's discussing basically the same thing:

"My NCL PCC told me this was a permanent change on a go forward basis and would not end when the promo ends. Anyone who has already booked a suite or the Haven is grandfathered in though."

Haven Free at Sea Promotion Extra Charges

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2507607

Much of the logic used to support the value of the package is based on NCL's inflated prices of drinks.

The true value of the package should be determined by each individuals idea of how much a drink is worth to them.

Faulty logic. No, the price of the drink may not be worth it to me - but it is the only option. So the logic is - would you buy a drink without the package or just drink water or ice tea all the time. If you would buy a couple drinks a day anyway, the package is worth it

Go on then... Sail on them, they are much more expensive though even to begin with.

Thank you for advice ;).

If you check my signature, you will see that we are sailing with all of them. :)

And no, they are not necessarily much more expensive. I am not talking about luxury lines, but about alcohol packages on massmarket lines.

Faulty logic. No, the price of the drink may not be worth it to me - but it is the only option. So the logic is - would you buy a drink without the package or just drink water or ice tea all the time. If you would buy a couple drinks a day anyway, the package is worth it

I won't buy drinks if I think they are price too high.

That's not 100% accurate. There are plenty restaurants that tack on an automatic tip, especially where coupons are involved. A perfect example is with Groupon. They specifically state that an 18% tip will be automatically added to the value of the coupon.

You can request in writing the 18% back post cruise...but really the servers deserve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since when? Can you show us where this policy is documented? Or are you mistakenly talking about the DSC?