Has anyone brought there own Golf Clubs

RYPERO

DH has taken his own clubs on several cruises. No they did not store them. They were delivered just like the other luggage to our cabin. We either wedged them up in the corner or put them in the closet on the couple of times the upgrade fairy gave us a suite. if you don't carry them on be sure to put them in a carrier since they will stack them with the other luggage.

While I love to play with my own clubs, for the one or two rounds that you might play on a cruise I would rent clubs. Not worth the effort it takes to bring my own. They are just another piece of luggage.

In a word, no, it's not worth the aggravation. I took mine once because we could drive to the port and I wouldn't pay an extra bag penalty, but it was still more effort than it was worth. The only way I'd ever consider taking them in the future would be for a golf-specific itinerary such as you might find on a luxury cruise line.

Where do you intend to play?

We have played courses in Acapulco, the Eastern and Southern Caribbean and Aruba. We found with the rentals that they are in good shape and bringing clubs along is just not worth the hastle.

BTY my husaband is a stratch golfer, and still does not bring his own clubs, does not complain about the equipment rental. I have to add too that there is nothing like doing a round with the ocean as a background, doing the course with a caddy is worth the few extra bucks..... Have fun.

I know when we cruised on the Legend two years ago I contacted the ship directly to inquire about left-handed clubs for my SIL to use in St. Thomas. I received a prompt reply. The club-house had only 2 sets for rental, but the ship had a set they used for teaching. Since he had planned on taking the excursion to the course through the ship, they took care of making sure he had a set to play with. He was very happy he didn't want to take his whole set with him.

We are bringing our clubs with us in January because we are going on this cruise to golf. Carnival does offer golf now and that is why we are sailing with them.

We will be playing in Cozumel and Grand Cayman and I have been looking into booking the Southern Caribbean for next winter that includes Aruba, St. Thomas, San Juan and Barbados.

We are also golfing the 2 days before our cruise in Tampa and the day we disembark (we have a 6 pm flight so why not golf).

Also, we fly SWA and there is no extra charge to bring your clubs on the flight.

DH and I always take our 4 kids with us on vacation and this will be our first adult only vacation in years, so I figure 2 sets of golf clubs is a heck of a lot easier to lug around than 4 kids and 12 suitcases! Golf clubs are going to be a breeze!

If you are going on a cruise to golf you may also want to research the California Coast Cruise.... Pebble Beach is a day stop! The down side is that you are limited as to when they sail. I know that Celebrity only does this cruise about 3 times a year. But, it is worth the wait.

I was wondering if you bring your own golf clubs on a cruise (the Pride specifically) do they store them for you? And if yes what does it costs? Also has anyone ever rented clubs on the excrsions?

I've only rented......seems like a lot of trouble but HEY, Ryan......I just figured out you'll be one of the first to see the former cruise director, Greg Kneale, at his new restaurant in PV.....Greg and I were chatting the other day and he's got his restaurant going in Port Vallarta now and he wants to see us all again when/if we sail that way....I posted some info on the Mexican Riviera Board...here's the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=260120

He also wants me to come play golf there with him.....says the courses are awesome....I may go for 3 days for a land vacation but hit the link above and go check out what he has in PV and tell him I said hi! :D

We're on the Dec. 25 Conquest and my DH wanted me to ask if any of you have played the White Witch course at the Ritz Carlton in Montego Bay and what did you think of it? It's one of the Conquest excursions. Will they let him take them on as as carry-on luggage or will he have to send them on with the other luggage?? He has a hard-sided travel case for his clubs. Thanks!

I hope this helps......the ship has good rentals (Callaways), but only about 20 sets. They may have increased that since I was there. The course you play in Puerto Vallarta (El Tigre) is in great condition, but the bunkers need some sand. I spend a lot of time in them as I play there at least twice a week. There are 12 holes where water comes into play. Bring lots of balls. You can buy used balls at the clubhouse (8 balls for $11).

In Mazatlan you play a great championship course called Estrella Del Mar. It's on the coast and when the wind picks up, the last 4 holes are a challenge, to say the least.

In Cabo, you are taken to Cabo Del Sol to play the desert course. This one is really expensive, but it's a dream to play. All golf is expensive in Cabo, but if you love to play the game, play this course.

I think the Pride has the best golf of all the ships. A very good variety with 3 excellent courses.

Greg

We very rarely ever fly anywhere, so when we took our first cruise this past Feb, it was quite an experience! But while we waited and waited and WAITED for our luggage in Orlando, I kept seeing these things on the luggage merry go round thingies that looked like trombone cases. We were just laughing about how many trombone players there must be in the area and there must be a trombone convention, when one of the guys picked one of the bags up and opened it and I realized they were all golf bags. I felt stupid. But I thought it was a kinda funny story! :o

Archived