Pier runners...Please share what happens next.

Capt BJ, my point is that if a rescue vessel is transporting Mr or Ms late pax to their departed cruise ship, they are not going to divert to a rescue with that cruise ship pax on board....that pax needs to be dropped off somewhere. That delay to drop off that pax delays the response to the emergency. Or they need have another appropriate type and located resource cover while the original vessel does their "PR" detail.

Capt BJ, my point is that if a rescue vessel is transporting Mr or Ms late pax to their departed cruise ship, they are not going to divert to a rescue with that cruise ship pax on board....that pax needs to be dropped off somewhere. That delay to drop off that pax delays the response to the emergency. Or they need have another appropriate type and located resource cover while the original vessel does their "PR" detail.

If, if, if! Honestly, what are the chances of what you are obsessing about happening? We could discuss all day over a whole range of "what ifs". Personally, I am pleased to see our taxes actually helping a citizen instead of greedy politicians.

If, if, if! Honestly, what are the chances of what you are obsessing about happening? We could discuss all day over a whole range of "what ifs". Personally, I am pleased to see our taxes actually helping a citizen instead of greedy politicians.

And your experience in emergency services is? I have 35 years....I have some knowledge of the issues on this particular topic. And how many will sue if they detected that emergency response to their (or family member) emergency was delayed by the stupidly of a cruise pax who couldn't get back to the ship on time.

And your experience in emergency services is? I have 35 years....I have some knowledge of the issues on this particular topic. And how many will sue if they detected that emergency response to their (or family member) emergency was delayed by the stupidly of a cruise pax who couldn't get back to the ship on time.

And another "if". Sigh!

How quickly is a USCG cutter supposed to respond to an emergency when ported in a foreign port, especially when in R&R mode? What are the protocols for such a rescue? What jurisdictional issues exist? The officer on scene had all of this information and more and I don't think that anyone should be second guessing his decision 30 years later. (And I am sure the skipper of the cutter was fully briefed on the incident and would have said something if the wrong decision had been made.)

An oldie but a goodie I've posted b4

Sea Story follows:

Dateline...hmmm 1987....

I was Operations Officer on a Coast Guard Cutter working the Caribbean and we were making an R&R stop in Cozumel. Typically, we (@ 210 foot length) were slid into a place on the pier between the revenue producting cruise ships.

About 6pm I was on on board and after speaking to the gangway watch, I went to the bridge to watch one of the adjacent cruse ships leave.

The cruise ship cleared the pier and headed away when I looked down from the bridge wing to see a lady with a shopping bags in either hand running down the pier. She got adjacent to 'my' ship, stopped, dropped the bags & stared at the empty pier the cruise ship had just left.

I called down, "Is there a problem?"

"My kids and husband are on that boat." It was now just a few hundred yards away from the pier.

"Wait there."

I picked up the bridge to bridge radio, "I have one of your passengers."

They couldn't come back to pick her up, but.....

I rounded up a boat crew, gave her a life jacket and launched our fast rescue boat. The cruise ship lowered the same ladder they use for the pilot and the wayward shopper and mother was rejoined with her family.

Somewhere there's a lady with a very special cruise story....my guys felt it was a great change to a boring duty day!

Semper Paratus [emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums