Waterproof shoes for Alaska?

pugmadkate

Just booked our very first cruise. We're going to Alaska in June 2018. Very excited!

I've been doing research and have seen several times where people recommend waterproof shoes. Not quite proper hiking boots but not sneakers either. Can anyone recommend a specific shoe or brand? I think I might get them as holiday gifts for the family members we're going with so they have time to break them in (I'm a teacher on summer break, so any holiday shopping I can get done over the summer is great!)

Columbia has quite a few options at various price points. I have a Columbia outlet near me and their prices are pretty good. I got those for my husband. I already had a pair of waterproof Merrels.

I don't think you have to have them....but in going during rainy season and want to be prepared

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use these almost daily during the summer for hiking, fishing, and more on the Kenai Peninsula. They are marketed towards the tactical side of the aisle but are great for pretty much all purposes. I love them, they are waterproof, durable, and keep me from rolling my ankles.

Keen and Merrell. You may have to look at individual shoes to see if they are waterproof.

Though - I don't bring them with me to Alaska. I use them to shovel snow here where I live. I also would be somewhat hesitant to have people bring brand new shoes on a trip when there could be a lot of walking. I bring my Brooks athletic shoes (not water proof).

We are completing our DIY tour of the Kenai Peninsula prior to boarding our ship. We spray waterproofed our athletic shoes and used wool socks when hiking or on small boat tours

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I know they are overkill but I'm still packing my venerable Raichle hiking boots since they are well broken in, lightweight, great non-skid tread and waterproofed. If I need them I'll be glad to have them rather than just wish I did.

Merrell Siren Sports come in waterproof Goretex, and these are actually shaped like my foot. I never cease to marvel. I've gone through maybe a dozen pairs of these over the years. Most comfortable walking shoes I've ever had.

• 2 weeks later...

I found these at Dick's Sporting Goods but just ordered them from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006A1EZ4U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

we're not going til next year but I figured I can use them this winter and get them worn in really well before going. They're waterproof, I love the colors and the amazon price was less than at Dick's.