Live From: Under the Midnight Sun!

editor@cruisecritic

Carolyn's done a great job of capturing this cruise experience. To add a few highlights...

Getting up early for the trip into Geiringer Fjord is absolutely worth it. Dress warmly and head to the Explorers Lounge. There was coffee available around 5:00. You can watch in comfort from inside and/or pop out on the deck to get great pictures. It was definitely less crowded in the morning than it was in the evening when we sailed back out.

Do pack some warm clothes and rain gear. You may not need them, but if you do, you'll be glad you have them. As Carolyn said, the weather has been cool and rainy. Don't let that dampen your enjoyment of the trip - I sat out on our balcony in my down jacket and tucked the cabin's throw blanket around me as we threaded our way along the spectacular coastal scenery this morning.

The upside of the weather is that the skyscape's are truly dramatic - incredible clouds, ever changing light and shadows, even several rainbows. When you add this to rugged shorelines ranging from whaleback shaped low rocks to cliffs and outcroppings that seem to be shaped by giants, you begin to understand the inspiration for the Norse stories of powerful gods and fantastic creatures.

I thoroughly enjoyed the kayaking excursion in Geiringer. It's an upper body workout (good for those of us with a bum knee) but doable for folks who've never kayaked before. We were laughing that the toughest part of the whole trip was getting out of the kayak at the end - not a graceful process for most of us. The guides are great about helping folks in and out the kayak - accept their assistance!

Highlight of the Romsdale open air museum for me was the children's dance group, accompanied by a fiddler. I also enjoyed looking at recreations of everyday life from different eras. The logistics were fairly simple, as the museum's just a five or ten minute drive up the hill. But it was a bit confusing for some folks. The bus that dropped us off then returned to the pier to get another group, with several buses doing the same thing at staggered intervals. You caught one of the buses back to the pier when you were done, and it might not be the same one you came on. Moral of the story - don't leave your stuff on the bus while you tour, at least not on this excursion.

The spa space on this ship is incredible. Least busy times are when the ship's in port, especially at the beginning of the trip. We were often the only ones down there. Guaging by today, the facilities get much more crowded on "At Sea" portions of the trip. My suggestion is to take advantage of the spa - especially the steam room, large thermal pool, and snow room - during some portion of your port days. It's a great way to gear up for or wind down from your stimulating shore excursion. I also took advantage of a special that showed up in the Daily Viking: an evening experience that explained the methods and philosophy behind "Nordic Bathing" which involves alternating time in the sauna with exposure to cold (snowballs in the ice grotto!). It was a wonderful way to learn about - and experience - a great Scandinavian ritual!

I think we've eaten everywhere except for the pool grill and Manfredi's. We're doing our second Chef's Table tonight. It's a nice way to try dishes you may not choose or encounter otherwise. Some may be moe or less appealing to your personal taste, but it's a fun experience and may wind up broadening your palate. There seem's to be plenty of space - we didn't make reservations until we were onboard so we could see which menus were going to be served on which days.

So far this trip is all we expected and more. Stay tuned!

I am really enjoying these live reports, especially the information about the shore excursions. Many thanks!!! Glad to know that you can fit in the kayaking as well as the included tour in Geiranger, which is what we were considering. I hope all continue to have a great time.

Carolyn,

The lectures sound wonderful.

It would be even better if Viking would post the recorded lectures online. That way we could watch them and become familiar with our destinations before the cruise, during the year + we are waiting to depart. Maybe you could suggest this to Viking.

Enjoying your posts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fabulous, Shipwren, thanks so much for sharing your day! Hope to hear about all the others :)

Carolyn

Carolyn's done a great job of capturing this cruise experience. To add a few highlights...

Getting up early for the trip into Geiringer Fjord is absolutely worth it. Dress warmly and head to the Explorers Lounge. There was coffee available around 5:00. You can watch in comfort from inside and/or pop out on the deck to get great pictures. It was definitely less crowded in the morning than it was in the evening when we sailed back out.

Do pack some warm clothes and rain gear. You may not need them, but if you do, you'll be glad you have them. As Carolyn said, the weather has been cool and rainy. Don't let that dampen your enjoyment of the trip - I sat out on our balcony in my down jacket and tucked the cabin's throw blanket around me as we threaded our way along the spectacular coastal scenery this morning.

The upside of the weather is that the skyscape's are truly dramatic - incredible clouds, ever changing light and shadows, even several rainbows. When you add this to rugged shorelines ranging from whaleback shaped low rocks to cliffs and outcroppings that seem to be shaped by giants, you begin to understand the inspiration for the Norse stories of powerful gods and fantastic creatures.

I thoroughly enjoyed the kayaking excursion in Geiringer. It's an upper body workout (good for those of us with a bum knee) but doable for folks who've never kayaked before. We were laughing that the toughest part of the whole trip was getting out of the kayak at the end - not a graceful process for most of us. The guides are great about helping folks in and out the kayak - accept their assistance!

Highlight of the Romsdale open air museum for me was the children's dance group, accompanied by a fiddler. I also enjoyed looking at recreations of everyday life from different eras. The logistics were fairly simple, as the museum's just a five or ten minute drive up the hill. But it was a bit confusing for some folks. The bus that dropped us off then returned to the pier to get another group, with several buses doing the same thing at staggered intervals. You caught one of the buses back to the pier when you were done, and it might not be the same one you came on. Moral of the story - don't leave your stuff on the bus while you tour, at least not on this excursion.

The spa space on this ship is incredible. Least busy times are when the ship's in port, especially at the beginning of the trip. We were often the only ones down there. Guaging by today, the facilities get much more crowded on "At Sea" portions of the trip. My suggestion is to take advantage of the spa - especially the steam room, large thermal pool, and snow room - during some portion of your port days. It's a great way to gear up for or wind down from your stimulating shore excursion. I also took advantage of a special that showed up in the Daily Viking: an evening experience that explained the methods and philosophy behind "Nordic Bathing" which involves alternating time in the sauna with exposure to cold (snowballs in the ice grotto!). It was a wonderful way to learn about - and experience - a great Scandinavian ritual!

I think we've eaten everywhere except for the pool grill and Manfredi's. We're doing our second Chef's Table tonight. It's a nice way to try dishes you may not choose or encounter otherwise. Some may be moe or less appealing to your personal taste, but it's a fun experience and may wind up broadening your palate. There seem's to be plenty of space - we didn't make reservations until we were onboard so we could see which menus were going to be served on which days.

So far this trip is all we expected and more. Stay tuned!

Great idea -- thanks, BruceLovesSailing.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

The lectures sound wonderful.

It would be even better if Viking would post the recorded lectures online. That way we could watch them and become familiar with our destinations before the cruise, during the year + we are waiting to depart. Maybe you could suggest this to Viking.

Enjoying your posts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, Roothy123, remember sailing with you on Viking Star! Fun to be back at the same time though, alas, not the same ship.

I did hear onboard that we're going to be in the same port with Viking Star on Saturday -- Leknes (Lofoten). Ahem, Star is tendering, Sky is anchoring (maybe it's a little bit of love for the new baby).

Was thinking: Wouldn't it be wild to have a quick Cruise Critic meet & mingle out on the dock, with folks from both ships? Am I crazy to suggest it???

Carolyn

We got away from London a little late, but tides are most certainly involved, and so are tugs, so those of us who have cruised before know these things can happen and don't sweat the small stuff. It was a great sailaway. Greenwich is wonderful. I described a bit of Greenwich embarkation in my Roll Call post (June 17 Star cruise). The tides also explain the 2:30 or 3:30 itinerary of one of the remaining itineraries. There are gorgeous pictures posted on our roll call that a couple Londoners took when Star passed them at sailaway.

All is wonderful on board in my opinion. I was hoping to post my experiences on CC but there seem to be plenty of people already doing that, so I think I'll just relax. However, some things people may not know, especially if they're river cruisers, not ocean cruisers:

Really helps to take a lanyard for your key card. You will use it a lot.

Maps are at the Explorers Desk. Use the one for Greenwich and enjoy Greenwich. I explored both Greenwich - and London, but there's no map for that.

The Explorers Desk is not the Explorers Lounge - know the difference. Some people don't when they get on board. I hope people make it to our Meet and Greet. Two years ago that was a little confusing to some. Deck 8 part of Explorers Lounge can be accessed at the back of the staterooms on 8 if you don't want to climb up the stairs. It can also be reached by the glass steps from 7, Explorers Lounge.

For the person who asked about asking Viking to put one night stand between 2 twin beds: I don't have a measuring tape but it looks to be at least 2 1/2 feet from the end of bed to desk. You should have room to get around, no problem.

Bridge tours were announced in the Daily paper soon after we got on board. I hear they're popular, so don't wait to sign up for them. They're offered when the ship is in port.

It's certainly possible to get additional Chef's Table reservations when you get on board. As for the excursions, I can't say. We reserved online all seems to be OK (times were same once on board, no cancels that I've heard about, etc. - but of course, it's early in the cruise, and I haven't talked to anyone, so can't say.

When you get on board, orient yourself as to where your stateroom is by 1) whether you're in front of or behind the big atrium photo screen and 2) what's on the wall on the correct side of the ship.

Elevators are right near the stairs.

Enrichment lectures, your excursion info, etc. is all on the TV.

Don't expect things to be the exact same on an ocean cruise. They aren't. It's not possible, and often it's not desirable. Wehad one woman who didn't realize she had booked an ocean cruise. I don't know how that happens, but apparently it happened.

I don't think there was a bridge cam when we cruised on Star in fall 2015. Now there is. I love bridge cams.

Our cruise director is Suzanne, although I may have spelled that incorrectly. Captain is Rune. We have already recognized and been recognized by the waiter at Chef's Table and the "usually there" waitress at Mamsen's. They were there in fall 2015 and are still there. A nice thing.

Don't forget, meal times aren't the same each day. Read the Daily each evening.

Tors was on board yesterday. I didn't see him, but my husband did. We had guests....

I am loving this cruise, although all I've done is explored London and Greenwich. We also loved Iceland, though we did it on our own by doing a stopover from Dulles to Reykjavik on Icelandair.

We have our roll call get together today at 6.

Now I need to go get a pastry and coffee from the Living Room.

(Don't forget about the other places to eat like that and Mamsen's.)

Thanks for all you and other CC folks do, Carolyn, and enjoy your cruise.

Hi, deec. Anchoring means you are out in the harbor and must board tender boats to go into the port itself. I was told that Sky was docking but these things can always change.

The christening!!! Just ended in Tromso, beautiful and heartfelt ceremony. The bottle of Aquavit did indeed break on the first try -- really, lovely and special.

So we're official now :)

Carolyn

What is the difference between anchoring and tendering??? Did you mean Sky is docking??? When is the Christening?

Carolyn--and everybody else on board, I know that you all took plenty of pictures of the hoopla. Can you share a links to them so that we can get an idea of what it was like?

Anyone who finds pictures or articles online, please share the links!

Thanks in advance!

Thank you so much for all these little tidbits of information. So much appreciated! We are sailing out on July 9 on the same itinerary and can't wait! --Andi

We got away from London a little late, but tides are most certainly involved, and so are tugs, so those of us who have cruised before know these things can happen and don't sweat the small stuff. It was a great sailaway. Greenwich is wonderful. I described a bit of Greenwich embarkation in my Roll Call post (June 17 Star cruise). The tides also explain the 2:30 or 3:30 itinerary of one of the remaining itineraries. There are gorgeous pictures posted on our roll call that a couple Londoners took when Star passed them at sailaway.

All is wonderful on board in my opinion. I was hoping to post my experiences on CC but there seem to be plenty of people already doing that, so I think I'll just relax. However, some things people may not know, especially if they're river cruisers, not ocean cruisers:

Really helps to take a lanyard for your key card. You will use it a lot.

Maps are at the Explorers Desk. Use the one for Greenwich and enjoy Greenwich. I explored both Greenwich - and London, but there's no map for that.

The Explorers Desk is not the Explorers Lounge - know the difference. Some people don't when they get on board. I hope people make it to our Meet and Greet. Two years ago that was a little confusing to some. Deck 8 part of Explorers Lounge can be accessed at the back of the staterooms on 8 if you don't want to climb up the stairs. It can also be reached by the glass steps from 7, Explorers Lounge.

For the person who asked about asking Viking to put one night stand between 2 twin beds: I don't have a measuring tape but it looks to be at least 2 1/2 feet from the end of bed to desk. You should have room to get around, no problem.

Bridge tours were announced in the Daily paper soon after we got on board. I hear they're popular, so don't wait to sign up for them. They're offered when the ship is in port.

It's certainly possible to get additional Chef's Table reservations when you get on board. As for the excursions, I can't say. We reserved online all seems to be OK (times were same once on board, no cancels that I've heard about, etc. - but of course, it's early in the cruise, and I haven't talked to anyone, so can't say.

When you get on board, orient yourself as to where your stateroom is by 1) whether you're in front of or behind the big atrium photo screen and 2) what's on the wall on the correct side of the ship.

Elevators are right near the stairs.

Enrichment lectures, your excursion info, etc. is all on the TV.

Don't expect things to be the exact same on an ocean cruise. They aren't. It's not possible, and often it's not desirable. Wehad one woman who didn't realize she had booked an ocean cruise. I don't know how that happens, but apparently it happened.

I don't think there was a bridge cam when we cruised on Star in fall 2015. Now there is. I love bridge cams.

Our cruise director is Suzanne, although I may have spelled that incorrectly. Captain is Rune. We have already recognized and been recognized by the waiter at Chef's Table and the "usually there" waitress at Mamsen's. They were there in fall 2015 and are still there. A nice thing.

Don't forget, meal times aren't the same each day. Read the Daily each evening.

Tors was on board yesterday. I didn't see him, but my husband did. We had guests....

I am loving this cruise, although all I've done is explored London and Greenwich. We also loved Iceland, though we did it on our own by doing a stopover from Dulles to Reykjavik on Icelandair.

We have our roll call get together today at 6.

Now I need to go get a pastry and coffee from the Living Room.

(Don't forget about the other places to eat like that and Mamsen's.)

Thanks for all you and other CC folks do, Carolyn, and enjoy your cruise.

We're on the Iceland ....

If you're like me and too jet lagged to make decisions your first night, a Caesar salad at the hotel lounge is not a bad option. We noticed on our after dinner stroll that just up the hill from the Hilton there were a variety of casual food places that might also have been options (and a bit less expensive) if you wanted heartier fare but didn't want a "full meal deal" at the hotel or elsewhere.

Shipwren, Were you in the Hilton Canopy?

Hi, Peregrina651. The christening was lovely! Here's a link to Cruise Critic's news story with a couple of pics:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7906

Carolyn

Carolyn--and everybody else on board, I know that you all took plenty of pictures of the hoopla. Can you share a links to them so that we can get an idea of what it was like?

Anyone who finds pictures or articles online, please share the links!

Thanks in advance!

It was the Hilton Reykjavik Nordic. It's a bit of a walk into the main part of town but doable and there's also a bus that stops right in front.

Our documents show Viking has us in the Hilton Canopy for our post-extension. I will check and see where is compared to where the Hilton Reykjavik Nordic is.

Thanks.

Hello from Lofoten -- and a meet up (sort of) with Viking Star! We'll post a pic on Instagram later -- and will provide a meaty update on the ports of call, beyond Stavanger, that we've been to. Time flies as you know and now I'm behind :)

Carolyn

I'm writing a piece for Cruise Critic (next week, most likely) on three really great things about cruising above the Arctic Circle. The scenery -- especially scenery you can actually see 24 hours of the day, the extended daylight that gives you more time to experience the cruise (and er, less time to sleep), and the benefit the long light has on cutting down the impact of jet-lag (only applicable to those of us who are long-haul travelers; we envy the travel journeys our fellow UK passengers have had.

Anything you'd add?

Carolyn

I'm writing a piece for Cruise Critic (next week, most likely) on three really great things about cruising above the Arctic Circle. The scenery -- especially scenery you can actually see 24 hours of the day, the extended daylight that gives you more time to experience the cruise (and er, less time to sleep), and the benefit the long light has on cutting down the impact of jet-lag (only applicable to those of us who are long-haul travelers; we envy the travel journeys our fellow UK passengers have had.

Anything you'd add?

Carolyn

The thrill of traveling as far north as you may ever travel and then realizing that you haven't even traveled half the distance to the North Pole.

We really enjoyed the Seabirds of Stappen Island tour - an informative guide for our trip to and from the boat, a skilled and knowledgeable captain, lots of seabirds, including my favorite puffins, and even seals!

The hike we took in Lofoten allowed us to see some beautiful high

mountain scenery but was a lot longer then presented in the written description. It was closer to six miles than the three described and a good deal of that was up and down, with few level stretches.

I've heard several people who felt descriptions of this and other hikes, especially the distance/topography, needs to be more accurately described. "A 1 1/2 hour hike" or "demanding" doesn't really help people determine difficulty, as we all have our own pace and strengths which can be affected by terrain. The hiking guidebooks I use at home give distance, elevation gain, and information on trail surface and challenges. It would help many of us if Viking could do the same. I reluctantly decided to switch one of my later hiking excursions on this trip when the young woman I spoke with at the excursion desk didn't have any additional info about the mileage or elevation gain/loss. Since I'm rehabilitating a knee, I don't want to exceed my limits or risk holding others up.

For the most part it seems that the folks working the excursion desks only have the same printed information we have to work from. It would be nice if Viking provided them with more details and maybe have them actually go on the tours so they can talk with guests more knowledgeably about what's involved.

Please don't read this as a criticism of the excursions - just a suggestion that Viking look at ways to improve guest/trip matchmaking.

On to Scotland - the weather's getting warmer and we've had some sun. I appreciate the opportunities to relax and recharge on that at sea days!

Edited by Shipwren
typos/wording

We really enjoyed the Seabirds of Stappen Island tour - an informative guide for our trip to and from the boat, a skilled and knowledgeable captain, lots of seabirds, including my favorite puffins, and even seals!

mountain scenery but was a lot longer then presented in the written description. It was closer to six miles than the three described and a good deal of that was up and down, with few level stretches.

I've heard several people who felt descriptions of this and other hikes, especially the distance/topography, needs to be more accurately described. "A 1 1/2 hour hike" or "demanding" doesn't really help people determine difficulty, as we all have our own pace and strengths which can be affected by terrain. The hiking guidebooks I use at home give distance, elevation gain, and information on trail surface and challenges. It would help many of us if Viking could do the same. I reluctantly decided to switch one of my later hiking excursions on this trip when the young woman I spoke with at the excursion desk didn't have any additional info about the mileage or elevation gain/loss. Since I'm rehabilitating a knee, I don't want to exceed my limits or risk holding others up.

For the most part it seems that the folks working the excursion desks only have the same printed information we have to work from. It would be nice if Viking provided them with more details and maybe have them actually go on the tours so they can talk with guests more knowledgeably about what's involved.

Please don't read this as a criticism of the excursions - just a suggestion that Viking look at ways to improve guest/trip matchmaking.

On to Scotland - the weather's getting warmer and we've had some sun. I appreciate the opportunities to relax and recharge on that at sea days!

It's not. It is just the kind of constructive suggestions that Viking is looking for.

Shipwren, my husband was on the same hike and had the exact same opinion -- it wasn't presented as it really was. Meaning: It was a more intense outing than he expected. On the other hand, he came back really energized (and then fell asleep, in bed, before dinner and slept through the night). :)

Carolyn