Amsterdam dress code

D & S

How dressy do people get on gala nights? Trying to decide if DH should bring suit and I would wear a dress. Looks like most post say just shirts and slacks for men and dressy tops and pants for women. Don't want to pack more if not needed.

The dress codes have relaxed in the past couple of years - suits are no longer "required" - a collared shirt and slacks are the minimum requirement for men, and ladies can wear a pair of slacks and a dressy top. However, if you wish to glam up in a suit and tie, and sparklies and high heels, go for it.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The dress codes have relaxed in the past couple of years - suits are no longer "required" - a collared shirt and slacks are the minimum requirement for men, and ladies can wear a pair of slacks and a dressy top. However, if you wish to glam up in a suit and tie, and sparklies and high heels, go for it.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Ger_77 has put it well.

There will be some that dress up so if you choose to do so, you won't be "out of place" nor will you be if you opt for the more relaxed standard for the evening.

I think Alaskan cruises have always been a little less formal. You are correct in thinking it would be smart to take less. But, remember rain gear and it is always colder near the glaciers. Even if it is warmer in Alaska than you thought you still might need a sweater on board due to a/c. Also comfy shoes; the heck with the latest fashions.:D

We were on the Amsterdam this month, and had anytime dining. We usually ate around 745pm. This was one of the Amsterdam's 7 night Alaska runs round trip from Seattle.

I was surprised that on Gala nights the majority of men were dressed in at least sport coats and most of them had ties. There were some with just slacks and collared shirts. One night I did see a fellow in a football jersey. It WAS black, so I guess that was his formal version. :D

Very few women in dresses.

On our last HAL to AK cruise, we saw the gamut - beaded cocktail gown to outfits that I would not classify as dressed-up at all...

My son will be wearing a tie! I've gotten some very nice photos on our cruises of him.:D

If you are on the 14 Alaskan cruise, you will find very, very few people dressed up with suits, tuxedos, gowns.

People generally dress the same on Gala nights as on smart casual nights.

This is a perfect example of how all-over-the-map Gala nights are on HAL. On the 14 day RT Seattle that we did, after the change to Gala nights, we saw many, many early fixed diners in long gowns and tuxes. Fancy long gowns in lace, velvet, beading.... fancy stuff! That was the fanciest collection of evening wear I had seen in many years on a HAL cruise.

Will be on the Amsterdam in July. My husband wore out his tux cruising. Hated to see it go as it was fun seeing him dressed up on formal night. He now wears a suit and wondered aloud about leaving it home. I hate to see that happen.

It was disappointing on our recent cruise to Bermuda seeing people arrive in the MDR very casually dressed on Gala Night. It was obvious by the wrinkled clothing it was what they wore touring all day. I personally feel that casual attire is OK on travel day, or packing day. The Lido is a great dinner option if one is tired and wants to be extremely casual.

Call me old fashioned.

We will be on the Amsterdam cruise on Monday. My husband is bringing a suit, shirt and tie. I bring some tops that are a bit fancy and glam them up with jewellery. We were on the Zuiderdam in April most men wore a sports jackets, suits, plain shirts, some plaids, with/without ties.

Gone are the days that I brought a different fancy dress for each Formal night, and shoes to match each outfit.

Don't stress over your clothes. Wear what makes you feel good, and most of all enjoy your cruise.

Glad to have this advice as we are on the 1st July sailing and I will now leave my DJ (tuxedo) at home and bring a suit instead. Will a pale coloured lightweight summer suit be acceptable or should it be a dark as my wife insists she has read somewhere on the HAL website?

Glad to have this advice as we are on the 1st July sailing and I will now leave my DJ (tuxedo) at home and bring a suit instead. Will a pale coloured lightweight summer suit be acceptable or should it be a dark as my wife insists she has read somewhere on the HAL website?

I don't believer I have never seen a color guideline in the HAL recommendation. White dinner jackets look as good as black tie. The more this topic gets explored, the more of a joke any recommendations appear to be. Bottomline, wear what you feel most comfortable in. Think of Gala Night as merely encouragement for those who still do like to dress up.

Just watched the Agatha Christie "Death on the Nile" and even on the Nile River boat, everyone wore black tie and gowns to dinner every night. Loved it. Of course the fact any real cabins on a Nile River ship from that period would be hot and cramped and the outdoor temperature would probably be in the 100's and there was no such thing as AC in those bygone days, the evening dress guidelines prevailed - it you were on a ship of any size no matter the location, one dressed for dinner.