Trump's changes to Cuba travel from US

VidaNaPraia

Announcement today:

June 16, 2017

Department of the Treasury

Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)

Frequently Asked Questions on President Trump’s Cuba Announcement

1. How will OFAC implement the changes to the Cuba sanctions program announced by the President on June 16, 2017? Are the changes effective immediately?

OFAC will implement the Treasury-specific changes via amendments to its Cuban Assets Control Regulations. The Department of Commerce will implement any necessary changes via amendments to its Export Administration Regulations. OFAC expects to issue its regulatory amendments in the coming months. The announced changes do not take effect until the new regulations are issued.

2. What is individual people-to-people travel, and how does the President’s announcement impact this travel authorization?

Individual people-to-people travel is educational travel that: (i) does not involve academic study pursuant to a degree program; and (ii) does not take place under the auspices of an organization that is subject to U.S. jurisdiction that sponsors such exchanges to promote people-to-people contact. The President instructed Treasury to issue regulations that will end individual people-to-people travel. The announced changes do not take effect until the new regulations are issued.

3. Will group people-to-people travel still be authorized?

Yes. Group people-to-people travel is educational travel not involving academic study pursuant to a degree program that takes place under the auspices of an organization that is subject to U.S. jurisdiction that sponsors such exchanges to promote people-to-people contact. Travelers utilizing this travel authorization must maintain a full-time schedule of educational exchange activities that are intended to enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities, and that will result in meaningful interaction between the traveler and individuals in Cuba. An employee, consultant, or agent of the group must accompany each group to ensure that each traveler maintains a full-time schedule of educational exchange activities.

4. How do the changes announced by the President on June 16, 2017 affect individual people-to-people travelers who have already begun making their travel arrangements (such as purchasing flights, hotels, or rental cars)?

The announced changes do not take effect until OFAC issues new regulations. Provided that the traveler has already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to the President’s announcement on June 16, 2017, all additional travel-related transactions for that trip, whether the trip occurs before or after OFAC’s new regulations are issued, would also be authorized, provided the travel-related transactions are consistent with OFAC’s regulations as of June 16, 2017.

5. How do the changes announced by the President on June 16, 2017 affect other authorized travelers to Cuba whose travel arrangements may include direct transactions with entities related to the Cuban military, intelligence, or security services that may be implicated by the new Cuba policy?

The announced changes do not take effect until OFAC issues new regulations. Consistent with the Administration’s interest in not negatively impacting Americans for arranging lawful travel to Cuba, any travel-related arrangements that include direct transactions with entities related to the Cuban military, intelligence, or security services that may be implicated by the new Cuba policy will be permitted provided that those travel arrangements were initiated prior to the issuance of the forthcoming regulations.

6. How do the changes announced by the President on June 16, 2017 affect companies subject to U.S. jurisdiction that are already engaged in the Cuban market and that may undertake direct transactions with entities related to the Cuban military, intelligence, or security services that may be implicated by the new Cuba policy?

The announced changes do not take effect until OFAC issues new regulations. Consistent with the Administration’s interest in not negatively impacting American businesses for engaging in lawful commercial opportunities, any Cuba-related commercial engagement that includes direct transactions with entities related to the Cuban military, intelligence, or security services that may be implicated by the new Cuba policy will be permitted provided that those commercial engagements were in place prior to the issuance of the forthcoming regulations.

7. Does the new policy affect how persons subject to U.S jurisdiction may purchase airline tickets for authorized travel to Cuba?

No. The new policy will not change how persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction traveling to Cuba pursuant to the 12 categories of authorized travel may purchase their airline tickets.

8. Can I continue to send authorized remittances to Cuba?

Yes. The announced policy changes will not change the authorizations for sending remittances to Cuba. Additionally, the announced changes include an exception that will allow for transactions incidental to the sending, processing, and receipt of authorized remittances to the extent they would otherwise be restricted by the new policy limiting transactions with certain identified Cuban military, intelligence, or security services. As a result, the restrictions on certain transactions in the new Cuba policy will not limit the ability to send or receive authorized remittances.

9. How does the new policy impact other authorized travel to Cuba by persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction?

The new policy will not result in changes to the other (non-individual people-to-people) authorizations for travel.

Following the issuance of OFAC’s regulatory changes, travel-related transactions with prohibited entities identified by the State Department generally will not be permitted. Guidance will accompany the issuance of the new regulations.

10. How will the new policy impact existing OFAC specific licenses?

The forthcoming regulations will be prospective and thus will not affect existing contracts and licenses.

11. How will U.S. companies know if their Cuban counterpart is affiliated with a prohibited entity or sub-entity in Cuba?

The State Department will be publishing a list of entities with which direct transactions generally will not be permitted. Guidance will accompany the issuance of the new regulations. The announced changes do not take effect until the new regulations are issued.

12. Is authorized travel by cruise ship or passenger vessel to Cuba impacted by the new Cuba policy?

Persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction will still be able to engage in authorized travel to Cuba by cruise ship or passenger vessel.

Following the issuance of OFAC’s regulatory changes, travel-related transactions with prohibited entities identified by the State Department generally will not be permitted. Guidance will accompany the issuance of the new regulations.

I'm not so sure that there is NO impact to cruises. While it certainly seems the cruise lines can continue with their Cuba itineraries, it seems unclear whether the passengers can hire individual cars/drivers in Cuba, or if they must do a ship's tour. Having been there recently, I can definitely say that an individual, personalized tour is 1000% better than a ship's tour. In my case, it allowed for a very personal, emotional experience that I never could have had on a group tour. I do want to go back, but have to wait & see exactly what the Regs will say about private tours.

I'm not so sure that there is NO impact to cruises. While it certainly seems the cruise lines can continue with their Cuba itineraries, it seems unclear whether the passengers can hire individual cars/drivers in Cuba, or if they must do a ship's tour. Having been there recently, I can definitely say that an individual, personalized tour is 1000% better than a ship's tour. In my case, it allowed for a very personal, emotional experience that I never could have had on a group tour. I do want to go back, but have to wait & see exactly what the Regs will say about private tours.

I was thinking that too - not affecting the Cruise itself but only how you spend your time in port. This may also affect the shore excursions - I am sure a majority of the tours are run by government controlled companies now. If the cruise lines are no longer allowed to use these companies will the non-government run companies be allowed to pick up the slack? And will there be enough of them to fill the demand if this is the only option? Will the Cuban government let the cruise lines negotiate with these companies? Still a lot of unanswered questions about the future of cruising to Cuba. I can see many cruise lines pulling out of Cuba if it becomes a hassle.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/06/16/cuba-cruises-could-become-less-flexible/102915746/

Item #4 says previously purchased travel may continue. But I think that's for individuals organizing their own trip, not people traveling on a cruise. Item #12 is more worrisome, because it might mean that cruise passengers must take only the pre-approved ship's tours. I don't think they can sort out the "grandfathering" from Item #4 for people on a cruise. I've already booked my cruise, but other people may book after the changes. I expect we'll all be under the same rules.

For me, the only reason I booked this cruise is because my mom, who was born in Cuba, wants to show me where they lived, got married, etc. She is getting older and not sure how much longer she will be up to travelling. If we have to take an organized tour and can't see those places, there really is no reason to go to Cuba at all. Our cruise is scheduled in October so chances are the new rules will be in place by then. I may just cancel this cruise. :(

For me, the only reason I booked this cruise is because my mom, who was born in Cuba, wants to show me where they lived, got married, etc. She is getting older and not sure how much longer she will be up to travelling. If we have to take an organized tour and can't see those places, there really is no reason to go to Cuba at all. Our cruise is scheduled in October so chances are the new rules will be in place by then. I may just cancel this cruise. :(

This is exactly my situation, too. We aren't scheduled to travel until May 2018, so we do have some time to see how things shake out. But, not being able to tour privately is a deal breaker and we would cancel as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is NCL's press release today re: Cuba. I'm a bit worried about their statements about "OFAC compliant shore excursions".

"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. Response to Trump Administration announcement about Cuba

June 16, 2017

Based on the information shared today, we are very pleased to learn the news that cruises to Cuba will continue under the new guidelines laid out by the Administration. All of our cruises to, and shore excursions in, Cuba are in full compliance with regulations set forth by the US Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC"), and we will work with the Administration to comply with any changes to those and any other regulations that will result from its decision. We are also pleased that education travel and travel that supports the Cuban people will continue.

We were very concerned about any potential changes, given how popular Cuba itineraries have proven to be with our guests, and we view this as a win for the cruise industry, our valued guests and travel partners. Across our three brands, there are 70,000 guests booked to sail to Cuba who would have been very disappointed if they were unable to experience this spectacular destination. We are delighted our guests will continue to have the opportunity to experience the wonderful culture and incredible history of Cuba along with the warmth and friendliness of the Cuban people through OFAC-compliant shore excursions that support private businesses and the Cuban people, an opportunity that was restricted for over fifty years. "

I sure do hope you are able to do this. I'm sure it will mean a lot to your Mom!

This is NCL's press release today re: Cuba. I'm a bit worried about their statements about "OFAC compliant shore excursions".

"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. Response to Trump Administration announcement about Cuba

June 16, 2017

Based on the information shared today, we are very pleased to learn the news that cruises to Cuba will continue under the new guidelines laid out by the Administration. All of our cruises to, and shore excursions in, Cuba are in full compliance with regulations set forth by the US Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC"), and we will work with the Administration to comply with any changes to those and any other regulations that will result from its decision. We are also pleased that education travel and travel that supports the Cuban people will continue.

We were very concerned about any potential changes, given how popular Cuba itineraries have proven to be with our guests, and we view this as a win for the cruise industry, our valued guests and travel partners. Across our three brands, there are 70,000 guests booked to sail to Cuba who would have been very disappointed if they were unable to experience this spectacular destination. We are delighted our guests will continue to have the opportunity to experience the wonderful culture and incredible history of Cuba along with the warmth and friendliness of the Cuban people through OFAC-compliant shore excursions that support private businesses and the Cuban people, an opportunity that was restricted for over fifty years. "

Yes, cruises will go on, but I read this as they go on in a more restricted way, i.e. taking only ship's tours.

When we went to Cuba on the Adonia in April there were two people to people choices on the OFAC affidavit: group or self-guided. Sounds like self-guided goes away. The question is whether the cruise lines will go into the enforcement business. Will they refuse to let you go ashore if not in a group? Will they report your attendance or lack thereof on the tours to the US government?

When we went to Cuba on the Adonia in April there were two people to people choices on the OFAC affidavit: group or self-guided. Sounds like self-guided goes away. The question is whether the cruise lines will go into the enforcement business. Will they refuse to let you go ashore if not in a group? Will they report your attendance or lack thereof on the tours to the US government?

I think that depends on what's at stake for them. If they don't enforce independent passengers' compliance, are they subject to penalties? Could lack of enforcement/control on their part cost them their permissions?

He's speaking NOW if anyone has Univision. Other channels do not seem to care.

Others also carried it live. So much for what you know or really don't know. It is time to ignore all that you write.

Others also carried it live. So much for what you know or really don't know. It is time to ignore all that you write.

No other non-cable channel carried his speech live in my area. I flipped through all the channels on my TV while he was speaking. None of them broke into their regular daytime programming. That's what I know.

After a short time, the speech was available on YouTube.

Perhaps since you indicate that you live in Florida, the speech was considered to be of more local interest, and was carried on the local stations of the major channels.

Maybe it's time you stopped posting altogether, if you can't think of anything helpful to post, and can only resort to being abusive.

You have posted NO INFORMATION from personal experience about life in and travel to Cuba to enhance and educate this forum.

You have posted no information form your non-existent personal experience to help people get around in Havana or elsewhere in Cuba.

To date, you have talked to exactly ZERO Cubans who currently live in Cuba.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Looks like he lives in Brazil? If that's the case, very good chance that few of their stations carried it. In the US, all the major cable news stations carried it. But you have to consider WHERE a person is posting from.

Looks like he lives in Brazil? If that's the case, very good chance that few of their stations carried it. In the US, all the major cable news stations carried it. But you have to consider WHERE a person is posting from.

No, "HE" lives in the US northeast, and part time in Brazil, and does not have cable in the US, as already stated. The major networks' (ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR) local affiliates in the area did not carry the speech.

Thank you, gwesq, but this poster, and one other who lives in Florida, is evidently heavily influenced by the old Miami hardliner Cubans, along with some antiquated ideas about Communism perhaps , and is simply harassing me because he does not like my opinions on Cuba, which are informed by those many Cubans in Cuba with whom I have had long discussions.

No, "HE" lives in the US northeast, and part time in Brazil, and does not have cable in the US, as already stated. The major networks' (ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR) local affiliates in the area did not carry the speech.

Thank you, gwesq, but this poster, and one other who lives in Florida, is evidently heavily influenced by the old Miami hardliner Cubans, along with some antiquated ideas about Communism perhaps , and is simply harassing me because he does not like my opinions on Cuba, which are informed by those many Cubans in Cuba with whom I have had long discussions.

Sorry I missed your location - but, not having Cable, you wouldn't see the speech. Important fact that that poster missed.

I, too, live in FL part of the year, and in the NE the rest. Had the pleasure to go to Cuba recently, and met many very nice people there. I grew up with many kids who came to the US when Castro took power. It was interesting to meet people now in Cuba who knew some of the kids I grew up with.

Sorry I missed your location - but, not having Cable, you wouldn't see the speech. Important fact that that poster missed.

I, too, live in FL part of the year, and in the NE the rest. Had the pleasure to go to Cuba recently, and met many very nice people there. I grew up with many kids who came to the US when Castro took power. It was interesting to meet people now in Cuba who knew some of the kids I grew up with.

I had said above:

No other non-cable channel carried his speech live in my area. I flipped through all the channels on my TV while he was speaking. None of them broke into their regular daytime programming.

The poster frequently does not read what is written.

I went to Cuba without a lot of preconceived notions about politics, with a background on the issue not unlike most US folks who knew the tensest of times from a US media perspective, and with the priviledge of having friends among the younger, more open, generation of Cuban-Americans. I was fairly surprised even so by the opinions expressed to me by the everyday folks I met in Cuba. I respect what they had to say. Ultimately, it's not useful to insist on imposing the most conservative US thinking on a proud people, with a rich, strong culture, who have their own distinct ideas about the course of the last 50 or so years.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

He's speaking NOW if anyone has Univision. Other channels do not seem to care.

I watched it on CSPAN, they had it live from first Florida Representative to Senator Rubio to Governor Scott to President Trump.

Frankly, I prefer my political coverage with the least amount of spin, that seems to be CSPAN.

19113884_10154654293961569_6049604506847217471_n.jpg?oh=ddc100154e7575c843d6c674e936345b&oe=59CD6F21

Thanks for posting that. Still waiting on something from NCL for our October cruise, but I'm guessing it will be along the same lines (even though the "People to people" thing that we marked off on our application appears to be the thing that they got rid of -- we're doing NCL excursions, so I guess they qualify under something else or we'll hear about it.)