New to Princess - A Few Questions

Ejkjar

Cruising to Alaska in July. We are new to Princess and the other couple with us is new to cruising. Trying to find answers to the last few questions we have.

1. Will I be allowed to bring a clothes steamer on board? It does not have an actual "iron" function, it only steams.

2. Does Princess provide the small bottles of shampoo & conditioner, or dispensers in the showers, or anything like that?

3. What is the non-formal night attire like? I saw someone on here complaining about people wearing jeans to the dining rooms even on non-formal nights. Do Princess passengers tend to dress more formally in general? (Previously cruised Carnival & Royal Caribbean which are very casual.) I want to be sure we don't stick out.

To questions 2) and 3)

2) - yes, dispensers - it's a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner and a shower gel.

3) in general, Alaska is as casual as the Caribbean sailings. On casual nights I either wear dark jeans or khakis, with a collared shirt, and most of my friends do the same. None of us have the legs for skirts, and even if we did, none of us would shave them. ;0)

To questions 2) and 3)

2) - yes, dispensers - it's a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner and a shower gel.

3) in general, Alaska is as casual as the Caribbean sailings. On casual nights I either wear dark jeans or khakis, with a collared shirt, and most of my friends do the same. None of us have the legs for skirts, and even if we did, none of us would shave them. ;0)

Thanks for the quick response! :') That sort of attire is what we wear normally, so it sounds like that will work out for the non-formal nights.

One more question, if anyone knows: DH hates crowds and standing in line. On Carnival we usually buy faster to the fun to get onboard early. Since Princess doesn't have that I'm trying to figure out timing in order to avoid the large crowds. Princess says our embarkation is from 1-3pm, what is the earliest we could realistically arrive at the pier and be able to get onboard? Hoping to get there early in order to avoid the long lines.

The long lines tend to be at the beginning, formed by those who also wish to get on early. If you wish to avoid them, and not have to wait to get on board, the best strategy would be to wait a few hours after embarkation begins and go then.

1. Will I be allowed to bring a clothes steamer on board? It does not have an actual "iron" function, it only steams. No. It has to have an "auto-off" to be allowed.

2. Does Princess provide the small bottles of shampoo & conditioner, or dispensers in the showers, or anything like that? Yes, but most hate the shampoo/conditioner. For me the shampoo part is OK, I bring my own conditioner. That works for me.

3. What is the non-formal night attire like? Technically, not supposed to wear "jeans" in the MDR, but nice looking, non-blue jeans will pass.

One more question, if anyone knows: DH hates crowds and standing in line. On Carnival we usually buy faster to the fun to get onboard early. Since Princess doesn't have that I'm trying to figure out timing in order to avoid the large crowds. Princess says our embarkation is from 1-3pm, what is the earliest we could realistically arrive at the pier and be able to get onboard? Hoping to get there early in order to avoid the long lines.

The embarkation time is a suggestion only. You can arrive as early as 10:30 or 11 (depending on the port). However, if you want to avoid those lines...wait until 3. No more lines.

The only way to be one of the first to board on Princess is to be in a wedding party, buy a suite, become Elite, take a B2B or be part of a Bon Voyage Experience (BVE).

BVEs are available at limited ports. Great way to be one of the first to board, if there's one at your port.

Despite what you have received, check-in typically starts between 10:30 and 11:00 and boarding typically starts around noon. We have had priority boarding for many years and we always board as soon as boarding start. Those without priority boarding board by boarding number which is assigned when you check in. Would assume by 1:00 there would be no crowds at check-in or boarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No need for "FTTF" on Princess as once you board, you can go directly to your cabin and start enjoying your cruise.

Check-in starts at about 10:30-11am. The longest line will be when it opens but even then, people are directed to a variety of areas to check in based on your cabin deck number. Boarding usually starts between 11:30am-Noon. Platinum, Elite (loyalty levels) board first. You'll be comfortably seated in a waiting area in general boarding which is done in the order in which you checked in and sat down. It goes pretty quickly. Once you step foot on the ship, your photo will be taken and linked to the security system with handheld scanners. Board the ship and your cruise starts. You can go directly to your cabin, drop off your stuff and go from there.

To avoid crowds, a good time to get there is about 12:30-1pm.

While there is no "Faster to the Fun" option your cabin will be ready when you board. You won't need to cart around your carry on luggage. Just go straight to your cabin and drop it off. If you board early enough there will be one dining room open for lunch. It's only open until 1:30 (and obviously they don't really want you to show up at 1:15...) and it will be listed on the back page of the Princess Patter which should be in your cabin. The crew will likely tell you to go to the buffet and may even say there is no dining room open. If you do board in time for lunch in MDR you can have a nice sit down lunch with wait service. The buffet will likely be a zoo. You can also get food up on Lido Deck - pizza, burgers, etc. If you are on Grand Princess you can also eat at Alfredo's. Coral Princess serves Alfredo's pizza in Sabatini's at lunch time but I don't know if that would happen on embarkation day.

Not sure which port you are sailing from, but we cruised to Alaska from Seattle in May. Walked in the terminal at 1:30 pm and were in our cabin at 2:25. There were still lines but all moved pretty consistently, so as not to feel like we were 'standing' in line for so long. Also lots of people wore jeans to MDR on non-formal nights...didn't see any with holes though! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2. Does Princess provide the small bottles of shampoo & conditioner, or dispensers in the showers, or anything like that?

It's just the body lotion that are provided in tubes. 2-in-1 shampoo & conditioner is in one dispenser in the showers, and shower gel on the other.

We always take our own body wash, soap and shampoo since we don't like what is in the mounted dispensers. You will find the AK cruises are informal as the people up there dress for the outdoors meaning jeans, boots etc. Jeans are always acceptable in the MDR on non-formal nights.

Jeans are no longer just "tolerated" - Princess has provided pretty clear guidance and it's actually posted on a tasteful placard. I've been sailing with Princess and Sitmar since before I was in long pants, and I can assure you that they've clearly stated their policy on denim on Smart Casual nights:

"Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn."

source: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp , under the "Clothing Recommendations" tab.

To the question about lines: if you're embarking in Seattle, show up any time after 11:45 or so and you'll move without sitting down. Show up after 2 and you'll move as fast as you can walk.

If you're embarking in Vancouver, BC? It can literally take anywhere from 15 minutes from sidewalk to ship to six hours, depending on what else is going on at Canada Place that day, and the mix of nationalities boarding the various ships.

Jeans are no longer just "tolerated" - Princess has provided pretty clear guidance and it's actually posted on a tasteful placard. I've been sailing with Princess and Sitmar since before I was in long pants, and I can assure you that they've clearly stated their policy on denim on Smart Casual nights:

"Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn."

Not really new. That policy has been in effect for many years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually, the later you wait to board the shorter and quicker your wait will be. ;)

We are on Sapphire next May out from Southampton, she uses a wheelchair will we be given priority boarding regardless of our boarding time?

Yes. Handicaps board earlier than able-bodied.

There really is no official boarding time regardless of the email you'll get that tells you when to arrive. Boarding times are assigned as you check in, you'll be given a group #. Once boarding starts the group #s are called & you board with that group.

We are on Sapphire next May out from Southampton, she uses a wheelchair will we be given priority boarding regardless of our boarding time?
Boarding times are only a suggestion. Checkin should start around 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. with boarding starting around noon. At the start of boarding those needing assistance boarding will be boarding first unless there is a wedding party. They will be followed by Elite, Platinum and then the various general boarding groups assigned by your time of check in. We used to travel with DBIL who needed a wheelchair for boarding. As I remember (it has been quite a few years) if you arrive after the initial boarding you will probably be boarded with the next group unless they need to wait for a wheelchair.

Sent from my iPad using Forums