Live From The Grand Princess

BigTimeCruiser

We departed Galveston yesterday (November 26th) onboard the Grand Princess. The weather didn't help out much--heavy thunderstorms that caused delays in passengers getting to the ship from their flights and on various other forms of ground transportation.

Embarkation was a snap. We had a rental car from Houston to Galveston. Dropped off our baggage at the pier then turned in our car. The rental company took us back to the pier in the shuttle van. At 11:45am we got into a very short line to go through security at the pier. Things moved very quickly. Then on to the check-in desk. By 12:10pm we were onboard and headed to our stateroom. All-in-in, the embarkation process was one of the better that we have experienced.

The ship's departure was delayed until after 6:00pm because of refueling and waiting for passengers that were delayed by the weather. During the evening, we experience a rough ride because of the weather, but things have smoothed out this morning. Clear sky and nice today!

Will be posting more about our experiences on the B2B2B while sailing on the Grand Princess.:)

Thanks for the posting! Our group is on next week and we were anxiously watching the webcam to see when she'd leave. After seeing here leave at 6:40, we were wondering if they ran into the same disembarking issues they had the first couple of weeks last year. Good to know that you were able to board ontime and the delays weren't in the terminal.

BTW, we're going to meet after the muster drill by the Calypso bar. There will be 10 or 20 of us wearing red shirts and leis.. :D Stop by and visit!

Will be anxiously awaiting your reports on the 2 cruises. We board the Grand on the 17th and look forward to being back on the ship.

If at all possible, and I even hate to ask, but, when you pass by the excursion desk could you see if they are still offering Passion Island as an excursion in Cozumel? We have is scheduled along with a back up, just in case. Have read pretty conflicting information about this excursion and not sure if it is even a go and if we want to go. Hasn't been cancelled yet on our personalizer, but read that someone on the Star found it was not an option last week.

Have enjoyed your posts in the past while on the ships and look forward to reading them this time.

Glad the seas have calmed and you are having a good time.

Thanks for any information you pass on.

Hulagirl

We departed Galveston yesterday (November 26th) onboard the Grand Princess. The weather didn't help out much--heavy thunderstorms that caused delays in passengers getting to the ship from their flights and on various other forms of ground transportation.

Embarkation was a snap. We had a rental car from Houston to Galveston. Dropped off our baggage at the pier then turned in our car. The rental company took us back to the pier in the shuttle van. At 11:45am we got into a very short line to go through security at the pier. Things moved very quickly. Then on to the check-in desk. By 12:10pm we were onboard and headed to our stateroom. All-in-in, the embarkation process was one of the better that we have experienced.

The ship's departure was delayed until after 6:00pm because of refueling and waiting for passengers that were delayed by the weather. During the evening, we experience a rough ride because of the weather, but things have smoothed out this morning. Clear sky and nice today!

Will be posting more about our experiences on the B2B2B while sailing on the Grand Princess.:)

Hey!

I hope yall have a wonderful trip! We took alot of pictures of the ship in port on Saturday when yall borded! Well let us know how your trip goes!:)

-the wards

Hi Curt, enjoy your time on the Grand !! I'll be on her again , but not til Oct when we go to the Med. Tell Cindy 'Hi" for me, now I know why she's not posting on our Med thread. She's on the "high seas". Touch base with you both after the first of the year, maybe then we can do some planning. Have fun !

ddensor - What rental car company did you use? Need to make arrangements to get from Houston Hobby to the port.

I saw your question about the rental car. We booked with Enterprise. No problem with pickup at Houston Hobby and drop off in Galveston, EXCEPT at the airport location they will charge you $40.00 for drop off in Galveston at Harborside Branch. We are staying at Marriott at Hobby first night (10pm arrival) and arranged for our car in a.m. from Gulf Freeway branch - NO DROP OFF FEE. We did the same for our return on the 17th as we don't fly home until the 18th and don't want to mess with the cruise transfer. Hope it works out for you.

BigTimeCruiser, just noticed you're from Las Vegas:) We live here in the northwest part of town. Chose the Galveston sailing so we wouldn't have to fly so far. Hope you're having a great trip:)

Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone!

Last night the sea was a little rough again and we were about 3 hours late arriving at Costa Maya. The swells were pretty high today, so many of the water activities/tours were cancelled. Hulagirl----Passion Island for Cozumel is still scheduled for this cruise.

The shops were all open at the pier in Costa Maya. However, we did notice that the prices were considerably higher for goods than we saw in Cozumel in October!! Will do a little more comparison when we get to Cozumel this time.

This time we are dining in Personal Choice. Have a standing reservation with a table for two. Have a waiter that was on the Grand last October when we sailed to Canada. Service has been excellent. Overall the food in the Horizon Court and Michaelangelo's has been very good. In fact, much better than what we experienced on the Sun Princess last month.

To my surprise the dress on the ship has been outstanding. I saw more tuxedos at formal night last night than I have seen in years! Everyone was in formal evening wear and having a wonderful time. Did not see any of the short sleeve shirts or no jackets like we did on the CB earlier this year.

We have been told that Captain Proctor will be rejoining the Grand Princess in two weeks. It will be a pleasure to sail with him once again.

Spongerob---I haven't yet found out who the maitre d' is on this cruise, but will ask this evening and let you know.

For those that asked which rental car company we used it was Enterprise.

Oh, by-the-way....the temperature today is 89 degrees F. Couldn't ask for weather any nicer. Nice breeze and just a couple of clouds in the sky.

We are in stateroom E728. It's on the port side, very near the aft on deck 8 and has a monster balcony. We did hear some music from the Vista Lounge last night, but that never really bothers us. The balcony is well worth a little music at night.

Our departure tonight has been extended until 7:00pm. Hope to post more later. :)

Glad to hear your having a great time and were able to get into Costa Maya. Will be in E729 on starboard side in Feb and was wondering if you have a tub. Had read somewhere that 728 & 729 might have been HC cabins at one time and only had shower but not sure if it was the Grand.

Thanks for the updates!

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

BigTimeCruiser -- Sorry to hear about the rough waters. Glad they extended your time in Costa Maya.

I'm just curious. How's the entertainment been so far? Have you enjoyed the Cruise Director and his staff?

We were on the Grand last Spring right before she was leaving for her Transatlantic sailing to the Med, and we felt that the entertainment department was basically just going through the motions. The Cruise Director and his staff seemed burned out and were chompin' at the bit to get to the Med.

So.......... I am hoping they have recharged their batteries and have a new attitude.

BTW, your updates are T-E-R-R-I-F-I-C. Keep it up!!

As I'm sure you can tell by our responses, we are vicariously living through your posts as you take time out of your wonderful B2B2B vacation to check-in and update us on your cruise "live from the Grand."

I am glad ya'll are having good weather. It is great of ya'll to keep us updated. Makes our cruise seem closer. We will be in E728 Feb 25 can't wait. May I ask where was your muster station? DH has trouble with stairs, we are going to call Princess when it is closer to ask how to handle if something really happens. Going early to muster is one thing, but if something really happens he will never make it on the stairs. Thanks again. have great cruise.

Glad to hear your having a great time and were able to get into Costa Maya. Will be in E729 on starboard side in Feb and was wondering if you have a tub. Had read somewhere that 728 & 729 might have been HC cabins at one time and only had shower but not sure if it was the Grand.

E728 does have a tub/shower combination. Not a bad size bathroom.

Archived