Live From The Grand Princess

BigTimeCruiser

You guys are on a ship again!! Ok, I am a bit envious :)

Have a great time on the Grand - tell Cindy hi for me. Can't wait to hear your cruise reports - especially the Cozumel part.

-Theresa

Theresa---Cindy says hi back. Will probably be asking you some Alaska questions in the near future. We really would like to head up that way again.

Curt

We were on the Grand last Spring right before she was leaving for her Transatlantic sailing to the Med, and we felt that the entertainment department was basically just going through the motions. The Cruise Director and his staff seemed burned out and were chompin' at the bit to get to the Med.

So.......... I am hoping they have recharged their batteries and have a new attitude.

That's really interesting that you mention that. I was on the Grand last December, and the same cruise you were on in April, and I noticed a huge difference in the CD staff. They just seemed bored and irritated in April, whereas in December they were extremely friendly (hush, Mike! ;)).

I sure hope they have in fact "recharged their batteries" back to the level I saw in December for everyone!

I'm just curious. How's the entertainment been so far? Have you enjoyed the Cruise Director and his staff?

The production shows are pretty much what you may have seen previously. For example, last night was "Curtains Up". If you have cruised in the past 12 months with Princess you have most likely seen this one.

We hear that the comedian, Frank King is great; however he is leaving and will join the Diamond Princess on December 20th in Singapore.

I will add more as the cruise/cruises progress. Keep the questions coming.:)

BigTimeCruiser, thanks for posting while you are onboard and giving us updates and information. I noticed that you are going to be onboard on the December 10 sailing. We will be onboard then too and look forward to meeting you. There is an active rollcall for the group and we have decided to meet after muster for sailaway at the SeaBreeze Bar (weather permitting :D ) So it would be great if you and your party could join us. :)

You mentioned going to the pier area in Costa Maya. Was there any entertainment like dancers or such on the stage? Last year there was some dancers and singers on the stage there at the pier and I wondered if they still had it.

Also, have they had the Wizard of Oz showing yet?

You mentioned going to the pier area in Costa Maya. Was there any entertainment like dancers or such on the stage? Last year there was some dancers and singers on the stage there at the pier and I wondered if they still had it.

Also, have they had the Wizard of Oz showing yet?

There were dancers in the shopping area stage just as you mentioned. Also, there were people dressed as Mayan warriors outside for photo ops.

No--they haven't shown the Wizard of Oz yet.....:)

BigTimeCruiser - I'm hoping you can clear something up for those of us on the Dec. 17th roll call for this cruise.

You said that both nights were rough and yet, when I looked at two differrent wave websites, both indicate VERY calm seas at 1-3 feet for both days. The Navy website in particular is very reliable.

Are you used to the aft location on the Grand or have you had a cabin midships before? (IMO, the Grand rides very differently in the aft area vs. midships.)

Could it be that the captain was really putting "the pedal to the metal" to make up lost time and that's what caused the roughness?

Thanks so much for helping us! I'll make sure Hulagirl sees your post about Passion Island.

Hi Curt, enjoy your time on the Grand !! I'll be on her again , but not til Oct when we go to the Med. Tell Cindy 'Hi" for me, now I know why she's not posting on our Med thread. She's on the "high seas". Touch base with you both after the first of the year, maybe then we can do some planning. Have fun !

Pat,

Cindy says hello and that she will be on the Med thread after the first of the new year at the latest. We are busy planning Sydney/SFO trip at the present.

Curt:)

You said that both nights were rough and yet, when I looked at two differrent wave websites, both indicate VERY calm seas at 1-3 feet for both days. The Navy website in particular is very reliable.

I can shed a bit of light on the answer(hopefully). Galveston-Houston had thunderstorms on Saturday and the wind was gusting on Sunday maybe to about 40+mph or so along the gulf coast. I'm sure that had an effect on the "motion of the ocean".

That's really interesting that you mention that. I was on the Grand last December, and the same cruise you were on in April, and I noticed a huge difference in the CD staff. They just seemed bored and irritated in April, whereas in December they were extremely friendly (hush, Mike! ;)).

This is actually really easy to explain:

• December - just got to Texas
  • April - just about to leave Texas

;)

Curt: Thank you so much for the Passion Island information. Have read so many different reports about it that I wasn't sure what was going on there. So appreciate you taking the time to look for me while you are on vacation. That was very kind of you.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the cruise. This will be our 5th time on the Grand, and looking forward to sailing on the ship again. Sorry to hear that the seas were rough and hoping the calm down for the rest of the cruise.

We have been very lucky with personal choice dining, especially on the Grand. Truly, that was probably the best we have had. Last year in the Baltic, we had the absolute best waiters. They usually seated us with the same ones, without our asking, and they were excellent.

Can't wait to be in Galveston.

Thank you again for the information.

Hulagirl

Hulagirl, we have been to Passion Island 4 times and it is great. Don't get scared in the boat as you see the lagoon side, the true beauty of the island is on the opposite side you get off the boat. The prices for silver jewelry is about the same you will pay in San Miguel. The open bar is great, ask the bartender for a Mexican Passion Island (stronger the the regular Passion Island). You can also get temporary tattoos, hair braids, massage on the beach (all for extra cost, of course.). They have plastic beach chairs and hammocks to lay out in. Have a great time, I can't wait until our January 28th cruise, first time on Princess and already upgraded for EE to a D. Still hoping for balcony upgrade (I'm selfish that way). BTC, enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Robtx100: Is there only one Passion Island or two? We did go through Princess last year in April. I agree it was beautiful on the other side of the island. But when we were there, no hairbraiding (thank goodness), messages, or anything else. Yes they did have the open bar and a very good small buffet. Best guacamole I have had in a long time. This was probably a good 35 minutes or more from where the ship docked and only people who had booked through the cruiseline could go here. Was this the same place you went to also? I'm sure it must be, but a bit different from when we were there.

On the Cozumel board, Solita, who lives in Cozumel has been reporting that the Island was basically flattened and that it wouldn't be reopening until spring. It was reported that the owner of the area had fired most of the staff and that only a few of the palms were still standing. No hut for food anymore and that it was a bit of a disaster. It is hard to know exactly what to think at this point. This was one of my very favorite beaches we have been to and would love to go back. Hopefully all is well there now.

Thanks so much to you and to Curt for the information you passed along.

Hulagirl

We have been told that Captain Proctor will be rejoining the Grand Princess in two weeks. It will be a pleasure to sail with him once again. :)

:eek: We have sailed with Captain Andy several times in the past; however, I don't think he ever completed one of the cruises we were on? I think there were a variety of reasons (deaths in the family, etc...); however, his humor is hilarious! Do you think he will be doing the December 10th one?:eek:

Good Tuesday Morning from the Grand Princess!!!!!

We arrived in the harbor about 2 miles out in the water away from Belize City at about 6:30am. They began the tendering process at about 7:30am using just about every local boat you can think of. All sizes and shapes are being used. None of the tenders from the ship are being used. The ride into the city is about 20 minutes. The last tender back to the ship is at 12:30pm today.

Weather Update---At 9:00am, the temperature was 78.8 degrees F. The high today will be 86F. At 10:50am the sky is overcast with the possibility of rain. The humidity is 99 percent.

Internet Cafe--The Internet Cafe was closed and locked earlier this morning with a sign that said it was closed due to service outage. I suspect the technical staff was working of the satellite equipment.

Entertainment--Last night in the Princess Theater, Paul Emmanuel sang music of Nat King Cole. He is very good and entertaining. However, Paul is leaving the ship at Grand Cayman. Tonight there is a comedy show starring Cary Long.

Tidbit---There are 14 bars on the Grand Princess.

More to follow....:)

Movies So Far On The Grand Princess

Saturday

MUTS--Tom Jones In Concert

MUTS--Tina Turner In Concert

MUTS--The Incredibles

Sunday

MUTS--Breakfast At Tiffany's

MUTS--Ice Age

MUTS--Bewitched

Theater--Shall We Dance

Monday

MUTS--Back To The Future

MUTS--Top Gun

MUTS--Phantom of the Opera

MUTS--Miss Congeniality 2

Theater--The Interpreter

Tuesday

MUTS--Splash

MUTS--Shrek

MUTS--Monster Inc.

MUTS--Batman Begins

Theater--Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

:eek: We have sailed with Captain Andy several times in the past; however, I don't think he ever completed one of the cruises we were on? I think there were a variety of reasons (deaths in the family, etc...); however, his humor is hilarious! Do you think he will be doing the December 10th one?:eek:

As far as we know, Captain Andy will be on the Grand Princess on December 10th. We too are looking forward to seeing him again. He's a great Captain.

Tidbit---There are 14 bars on the Grand Princess.

Did you know they have a bar hop card? You get a stamp from each bar (for buying a drink) and get a free t-shirt. Last year, if you already had the stamp for a given bar, they'd sometimes stamp for another bar anyway. Even if you're not a big drinker, over the course of 3 weeks... ;)

Plus, if you get it done in 2 weeks you could wear it on Saturday night and tell everybody you already finished your card. :D

Formal Night Surprise

We were really surprised at the selection of the two formal nights. The formal nights are Sunday and Tuesday. Not sure how they will handle the Captain's Circle Reception, since that won't be a formal night. Don't think we have ever been to one of these receptions when it wasn't formal.

Did you know they have a bar hop card? You get a stamp from each bar (for buying a drink) and get a free t-shirt. Last year, if you already had the stamp for a given bar, they'd sometimes stamp for another bar anyway. Even if you're not a big drinker, over the course of 3 weeks... ;)

Plus, if you get it done in 2 weeks you could wear it on Saturday night and tell everybody you already finished your card. :D

Do they have these on all the cruises or just ones longer than 7 days?

Archived