Any specific times of the year that fewer people may be on board?

5kitty

I understand that NCL or any other cruise line for that matter will do their best to fill every stateroom on board. However, are their certain times of the year or after specific holidays that the ships may sail with fewer people on board?

I understand that NCL or any other cruise line for that matter will do their best to fill every stateroom on board. However, are their certain times of the year or after specific holidays that the ships may sail with fewer people on board?

All cruise ships mostly sail full at all times of year. That is why they move people around with upgrades in order to get all cabins full.The rare exception would be repositioning cruises. They will also offer deals to local travel agents in the particular port to get locals.

If you don't mind certain obsessions/events some chartered cruises have empty rooms that certain sites sell off.

These rooms are also dirt cheap.

I believe the Jewel class have the most chartered cruises for NCL.

Edited by Velvetwater

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas - there is a two week window in early December when travel lightens.

That's been my experience too. On our early December Panama Canal cruise last year there were dozens of empty cabins.

There can be empty cabins, and yet have the full amount of passengers the ship is allowed to carry...If you have many families in one cabin, you could very well sail with "empty" cabins! Doesn't mean the ship isn't "full"!

There can be empty cabins, and yet have the full amount of passengers the ship is allowed to carry...If you have many families in one cabin, you could very well sail with "empty" cabins! Doesn't mean the ship isn't "full"!

"... many families in one cabin..."

Oh dear!

:D

Pick a smaller ship

Sail in shoulder season

Pick an itenirary that has fewer ships in each port at the same time

Certain times of the year and iteniraries draw different passengers.

Most cruises sail full due to the promos and "giveaways" to travel agents and the airlines. OK, not giveaways exactly but very cheap fares.

Some one way cruises, like trans atlantic for example, may sail with empty cabins. Also longer cruises may have empty cabins because not all travel agents or airline personnel can get away longer than a week.

Transatlantics now almost always are full except for some that start from the UK or even north of there due to weather I have been on 2 so far and am going on 3rd in November the previous 2 were full and the one in November is pretty much sold out. There are so many sites and better agents that watch for price drops and deal about the only cabins that might be empty are the inside cabins maybe. I can imagine if they do have a couple of cabins that did not sell it would make no visible difference you would have to go to probably 10% empty to really notice anything.

This is correct.

The cruise lines are filling berths (beds) not cabins. As consumers, we see on cruise line or TA websites the number of cabins open but that does not mean they can all be booked, especially as the sailing date approaches.

I'm new to cruising, but I would think that while the number of people on a ship wouldn't fluctuate greatly, the number of children might depending on the time of year.

Certainly true, NYC departures for "Jersey Week" in November have a lot of kids as passengers.