Once in a suite, always in a suite......NOT! What was your experience?

Planmaam

The suite perks I've mentioned are worthless. If you want food brought to your room, order it. It may cost money, but I'll bet it costs a lot less than a suite. If you want coffee, don't settle for the stuff that pops out of a pod coffee maker in your suite. Get the good stuff. Yes, it's expensive, but with the money you save, you can afford it. Go pay for upgraded meals and entertainment. Go on an expensive excursion. Why waste your money on a suite that yields perks that are pointless?

I understand this is a little different on the newer ships. With the Haven, you have access to a separate pool, which is great because the common area pool is way too small. Carnival has a better way to do exclusive areas on their newest ships. They have an adults only section in the back called the "Havana Cabana" area. It's like Vibe plus Haven and it's all included in the room price. The eligible rooms aren't all suites, either. Most are balconies but there are also insides and suites, too. It takes up a lot less space on the ship so the common areas don't suffer as much.

I will address your points as they relate my MY cruise choices since you seem to obsessed with us who choose to cruise in suites.

Food brought to room? Being in a suite you have a butler who brings the food. Whatever you want from any venue. On my last cruise in the Deluxe Owners Suite on the Epic we never used this perk, but on my port intensive South American cruise it was lovely returning from my port day, dining in my PJs on duck and chocolate fondue from Le Bistro. In my book this beats the heck out of a turkey sandwich from room service.

Coffee? In my Epic Suite we had Nespresso. This is what I drink at home. My sister brought her Nespresso frother. I made lattes like they sell downstairs. Only much more convenient and to my specification. And being in the Owners Suite, there was my Baileys to add if inclined.

Pay for meals in Specialties? Well, ya can't pay to go to the Epic Club for meals unless you are in a suite. In my opinion, and the opinion of many, this is the best venue on the ship. Best food, best service, best atmosphere. Period.

Excursions? This has nothing to do with being in a suite or not. I choose based on what I want to do, with regard to relative value. My two most memorable excursions were very expensive and worth every penny. I did the Antarctic Landing and the Exclusive Rome.

I agree, the Epic Pool was lovely and I have a great video of us in POSH watching the pool aerobics class below at the main pool. People dancing like a can of sardines. Not my idea of fun.

From inside cabin to Garden Villa, how and why one chooses to cruise, and spend for it, is their own business.

I can only imagine a control freak would propose to tell others what they should do and how their choices are pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can actually do both. I own several rental properties and live in a 3000 sf house. We went on vacation a minimum of 5 weeks per year, mostly to the Caribbean. However, we also did save and become debt free for retirement. Retirement is now only 6 months away and I can afford to go on 2 cruises (Dawn OS and Breakaway Aft PH) and fly first class to both destinations. You don't need to sacrifice everything to retire comfortably.

That's exactly how I see it.

I don't have a high income but I'm interested in economics and many kinds of investments and I'm probably saving more money than most. I could save more but prefer to enjoy life too.

My money aren't really burdening me, I spend some of them on cruises and the rest can be good to have when I retire.

Thanks anyway for giving me an suggestion what to do with my money.

It's good to be ready.:)

Even the best laid plan's can go away fast.

I was caught a little off guard with a forced disability retirement 8 years earlier than planed.:cool:

I will address your points as they relate my MY cruise choices since you seem to obsessed with us who choose to cruise in suites.

Food brought to room? Being in a suite you have a butler who brings the food. Whatever you want from any venue. On my last cruise in the Deluxe Owners Suite on the Epic we never used this perk, but on my port intensive South American cruise it was lovely returning from my port day, dining in my PJs on duck and chocolate fondue from Le Bistro. In my book this beats the heck out of a turkey sandwich from room service.

Coffee? In my Epic Suite we had Nespresso. This is what I drink at home. My sister brought her Nespresso frother. I made lattes like they sell downstairs. Only much more convenient and to my specification. And being in the Owners Suite, there was my Baileys to add if inclined.

Pay for meals in Specialties? Well, ya can't pay to go to the Epic Club for meals unless you are in a suite. In my opinion, and the opinion of many, this is the best venue on the ship. Best food, best service, best atmosphere. Period.

Excursions? This has nothing to do with being in a suite or not. I choose based on what I want to do, with regard to relative value. My two most memorable excursions were very expensive and worth every penny. I did the Antarctic Landing and the Exclusive Rome.

I agree, the Epic Pool was lovely and I have a great video of us in POSH watching the pool aerobics class below at the main pool. People dancing like a can of sardines. Not my idea of fun.

From inside cabin to Garden Villa, how and why one chooses to cruise, and spend for it, is their own business.

I can only imagine a control freak would propose to tell others what they should do and how their choices are pointless.

We have very different ideas of what fun is, being that I am in my 20s. I guess this is why everyone has such different perspectives on this topic. Your post solidified that these suites aren't for me. We are just very different people, which is all good. A good comparison is that I am satisfied with living at the Bellagio. But secret hotels like The Mansion are more suited for you. Different products for different people.

With that being said, I will try it one day just to say that I did it.

Couldn't you just read in the library? It's always empty. I know b/c I am in there all by myself on my laptop studying like a loser :loudcry:. I can say that is by FAR the emptiest room in the ship.

Big difference in slipping to the Living Room to read, watch tv, etc in your jammies vs getting dressed and heading out and about. I am guessing you are either younger or have not experienced waking up at 5am and unable to sleep. LOL!

You can actually do both. I own several rental properties and live in a 3000 sf house. We went on vacation a minimum of 5 weeks per year, mostly to the Caribbean. However, we also did save and become debt free for retirement. Retirement is now only 6 months away and I can afford to go on 2 cruises (Dawn OS and Breakaway Aft PH) and fly first class to both destinations. You don't need to sacrifice everything to retire comfortably.
And that is all relative to your "income". Not everyone has a huge paycheck to enjoy both saving and spending. Some people live paycheck to paycheck some don't. So balancing work with play can be a chore in some cases. I get what you are saying...it's about adjusting your own lifestyle and finances without giving up everything to do it. That is what we do....but we can only afford one maybe 2 vacations a year at this point....and I feel blessed to be able to do even that.

Big difference in slipping to the Living Room to read, watch tv, etc in your jammies vs getting dressed and heading out and about. I am guessing you are either younger or have not experienced waking up at 5am and unable to sleep. LOL!

I am younger. I think we are just at different points in our lives. I rarely stay in my room and roam around the ship. And I walk around the ship in my PJ's :') no shame in my game.

And there are a lot of meds for late onset insomnia that help with waking up at 5 am, which is important as you cycle through REM sleep longer. I treat it pretty commonly.

We have very different ideas of what fun is, being that I am in my 20s. I guess this is why everyone has such different perspectives on this topic. Your post solidified that these suites aren't for me. We are just very different people, which is all good. A good comparison is that I am satisfied with living at the Bellagio. But secret hotels like The Mansion are more suited for you. Different products for different people.

With that being said, I will try it one day just to say that I did it.

Thanks for your reply. Actually, how I live and how I vacation are very different. But there are reasons for that. I enjoy learning about people and celebrate our similarities and differences, so I will elaborate.

I am still in my 50's, so yes, my idea of a great vacation has changed. I was once an active, athletic type and looked for parasailing, hiking, physical stuff. Now I love R&R, spa, etc.

My day to day life is pretty active. I am always on the go with friends and family. After 30 years in my own home I sold it and live in a downtown high rise. It is NOT a luxury building. Very urban. Although I have a car I do a lot of public transportation because it is convenient.

I have worked for the same family business for over 26 years. My office job has me catering to their every need. Read between the lines. I also take care of myself, no housekeepers, and I help my elderly mother with her needs.

I used to cruise with mom. She has slowed down now. In the beginning I planned everything and I would cater to her. I was always making our plans, running around the ship booking this or that.

On our Jewel transatlantic things changed. We made friends with a couple in the Haven, called the Courtyard back then. I realized I had been my mother's butler and concierge while she was relaxing. What? Someone else could do things for me for a change? One week out if the year I could truly unwind?

I graduated to the suite life and never looked back.

So, since I am divorced a long time with no kids I can manage my finances and pay extra for the kind of vacation that makes me happy. My bosses are generous and My Christmas bonus goes to travel. I am not spending my retirement funds. I live frugally day to day. In fact I just bought a new Honda because my 12 year old Saturn gave all it could give.

You would find that a lot of people in NCL suites are a lot like me. Regular folks.

Once the conversation gets to "...you're wasting money by booking a suite because you don't need...", it's time to change the subject.

Imagine a non-cruiser who has never been on a cruise joining the forum and telling everyone that cruising is a waste of money because we don't need it.

How people spend their money or how much they spend on a cruise is their business. Two people in similar suites who pay the same price might disagree on whether or not it is worth it. Neither is wrong in their opinion.

I didn't know some cruises had time limits imposed on when you can go to the library. I was always under the impression it was available 24/7. Reading a book at 5AM in your underwear in a large room on a one to two week cruise is something unique to a suite. I hope it's worth the thousands of dollars extra to you.

And that is all relative to your "income". Not everyone has a huge paycheck to enjoy both saving and spending. Some people live paycheck to paycheck some don't. So balancing work with play can be a chore in some cases. I get what you are saying...it's about adjusting your own lifestyle and finances without giving up everything to do it. That is what we do....but we can only afford one maybe 2 vacations a year at this point....and I feel blessed to be able to do even that.

Yes it is relative to your income. But it also comes from hard work and in my case, a bit of luck. Early in my career, I found myself homeless with my car, my clothes and a few hundred dollars. I worked hard and made sacrifices early on to improve my life. I did live paycheck to paycheck for at least a decade. Back then, I could not afford more than 1 vacation per year. The luck part came in because I eventually was able to buy a townhouse. Later on, I wanted a single family house. If I sold the townhouse, I would have lost money on it. I was underwater in it (owed more than it was worth). So I kept it and rented it out. I was lucky that it paid off in the end. I can sympathize with where you are today. I am very blessed to have been able to take the journey that I have. I am now able to retire after a 31 year career and enjoy life. I hope that you will be able to do the same.

Once the conversation gets to "...you're wasting money by booking a suite because you don't need...", it's time to change the subject.

Imagine a non-cruiser who has never been on a cruise joining the forum and telling everyone that cruising is a waste of money because we don't need it.

How people spend their money or how much they spend on a cruise is their business. Two people in similar suites who pay the same price might disagree on whether or not it is worth it. Neither is wrong in their opinion.

You can take your money, put it in a pile and light it on fire for all anyone cares. Just please don't expect everyone to agree with you that this is a wise choice.

Totally agree.......it's one thing to share your opinion of your own experience, it another thing to judge those experiences of others and or discourage anyone from having them. I can't compare my choices with anyone else's because it's my vacation. We are all individuals with different desires and circumstances.

Thanks for your reply. Actually, how I live and how I vacation are very different. But there are reasons for that. I enjoy learning about people and celebrate our similarities and differences, so I will elaborate.

I am still in my 50's, so yes, my idea of a great vacation has changed. I was once an active, athletic type and looked for parasailing, hiking, physical stuff. Now I love R&R, spa, etc.

My day to day life is pretty active. I am always on the go with friends and family. After 30 years in my own home I sold it and live in a downtown high rise. It is NOT a luxury building. Very urban. Although I have a car I do a lot of public transportation because it is convenient.

I have worked for the same family business for over 26 years. My office job has me catering to their every need. Read between the lines. I also take care of myself, no housekeepers, and I help my elderly mother with her needs.

I used to cruise with mom. She has slowed down now. In the beginning I planned everything and I would cater to her. I was always making our plans, running around the ship booking this or that.

On our Jewel transatlantic things changed. We made friends with a couple in the Haven, called the Courtyard back then. I realized I had been my mother's butler and concierge while she was relaxing. What? Someone else could do things for me for a change? One week out if the year I could truly unwind?

So, since I am divorced a long time with no kids I can manage my finances and pay extra for the kind of vacation that makes me happy. My bosses are generous and My Christmas bonus goes to travel. I am not spending my retirement funds. I live frugally day to day. In fact I just bought a new Honda because my 12 year old Saturn gave all it could give.

You would find that a lot of people in NCL suites are a lot like me. Regular folks.

That is really sweet of you to take care of your mother. I really commend you for doing that. I see so many people dump their elderly parents, and feel guilty when things hit the fan and they are about to pass. Caring for them really does mean being their butler (I have first hand experience on my inpatient hosp rotations ;))

It totally makes sense why that little slice of paradise is worth the upcharge. 1 week out of the year where you others wait on you can be such a boon, esp with a taxing job. It's really eye opening to see it from your perspective. Makes sense.

And that is what I love about cruising. It is so easy to customize the experience to meet each individual's needs. And it isn't hard to do so. My family are 4 very different people, but none of us are bored b/c we all get to do our own thing or pair up with the other family member that is interested in a particular event w/o dragging anyone along that doesn't want to be there.

I know there are some cruises for continuing medical education, and I am going to blow my yearly allotment on a suite after I finish my residency.

P.S. - Congrats on the new car.

Edited by Farts

I didn't know some cruises had time limits imposed on when you can go to the library. I was always under the impression it was available 24/7. Reading a book at 5AM in your underwear in a large room on a one to two week cruise is something unique to a suite. I hope it's worth the thousands of dollars extra to you.

I am practically in my underwear when I am in the library :') Not joking LOL

Carnival has a better way to do exclusive areas on their newest ships. They have an adults only section in the back called the "Havana Cabana" area. It's like Vibe plus Haven and it's all included in the room price. The eligible rooms aren't all suites, either. Most are balconies but there are also insides and suites, too. It takes up a lot less space on the ship so the common areas don't suffer as much.

89e.gif

I've recently been sailing in non-suites after years of sailing in suites both with and without the haven. I am even going to try a studio on my next cruise. The Suite prices are just too high these days. I am platinum, so I still get some perks, which made the move to a regular cabin a little easier. I won't lie... I miss the space, the afternoon treats and the overall treatment around the ship that suite guests receive. I still have a great vacation though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Especially ridiculously high prices in the Haven lately... we are platinum as well and that's why our next NCL cruise is in a non-Haven suite (so we can still have breakfast at Modernos and lunch at Cagneys... sooooo very civilized, sigh).

And also why our cruise after that one will be on the MSC Seaside in the Yacht Club. They matched our Platinum Loyalty status to Black and the price was simply no-brainer good.

Our last two cruises with NCL were in the Haven on the Gem and we enjoyed them both tremendously, but with the higher prices and now having to pay the gratuities for the so-called free at sea promo beverage/dining when in a suite, it tipped the scales for us.

:) Call me a kindred spirit!!!! We all choose to spend where it works for us... we too drive sensible cars until they have nothing left to give, work very hard and long hours in demanding jobs, do not have much help around the house (as the "dust buffalos" will attest), etc, etc... so when we cruise, we go suite and appreciate the wonderful people who take care of us and the great experiences we have. Cheers to the good life when you can get it!

WOW, just WOW... judgmental much? A person's desire for occasional privacy in the early (or any hours) and what they choose to spend on what works for them has no bearing on your choices, so why make snarky comments... JEEZ!

WOW, just WOW... judgmental much? A person's desire for occasional privacy in the early (or any hours) and what they choose to spend on what works for them has no bearing on your choices, so why make snarky comments... JEEZ!

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/148692199141/how-to-identify-the-brainwashed

Look for these tells to identify the brainwashed:

1. LOL

2. Wow.

3. So…

4. In other words…

5. OMG

6. HAHAHAHA!

7. (Any personal or professional insult)

8. Hitler analogy

Priority boarding means no lines so it's definitely faster.

Priority disembarkment goes before self carry if that's wanted. Personally I prefer to be the last off the ship and that's also a nice perk.

I was a suite guest on POA, security was the same line and then checkin had separate booths but there were far more non-priority booths vs priority booths so the checkin wait was the same...Non-priority checkin was headed to the gangway, priority awaited their escort which took 15mins for us...

Self Carry was the first on the POA before priority for disembarkment...

Yep...that was uncalled for. Remarks like that are why many people probably do not post and just lurk. I totally get why you want to relax in private in your own space on your vacation and booking a suite is your way of doing it. Snarky remarks are all about that person, not about you.

I was a suite guest on POA, security was the same line and then checkin had separate booths but there were far more non-priority booths vs priority booths so the checkin wait was the same...Non-priority checkin was headed to the gangway, priority awaited their escort which took 15mins for us...

I guess that means that it's done differently in different ports.

May I asked why you waited for an escort, maybe you should have walked to the gangway?