Once in a suite, always in a suite......NOT! What was your experience?

Planmaam

It's all part of the Haven experience, IMO. Any time we had to show a room key for anything, people practically tripped over themselves. I think they (the employees) are told to give VIP treatment to Haven guests. We ate in the MDR one night only because we wanted to see the Burn the Floor dinner show. They assigned a waiter and an assistant to our table, and only our table. It was a little comical, actually.

I have to agree completely with this...been in the Haven about seven times in the last 2 1/2 years and every time you take your card out outside the Haven there is definitely a different attitude ( for the better) from the crew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree completely with this...been in the Haven about seven times in the last 2 1/2 years and every time you take your card out outside the Haven there is definitely a different attitude ( for the better) from the crew

Unfortunately, some (not all) non-Haven guests see the "extra special" treatment of Haven guest as a slight upon non-Haven guests.

I don't think that treating Haven guests "better" equates to treating non-Haven guests poorly, or as "being treated like a 2nd class citizen while walking around the ship in the general area".

I've never seen anyone mistreated or "pushed aside" so the staff could better serve a Haven guest.

Receiving priority boarding while others wait isn't mistreatment of non-suite guests. The wait would be the same either way. Getting a "better" table is in the eye of the beholder. Some prefer to be dead-center of the room. Some prefer to be hidden in a corner. Everyone waits in line at the bar.

Can someone give a legit example of non-suite guests being mistreated because a suite guest entered the room?

Is your experience in the Haven quite recently ? We are going on our first cruise in July and are staying in the Haven on the Epic and really want it to be special as it's to celebrate my mum's 80th birthday![emoji512]

Hello!!! Lucky you. Especially if you have Maxi the Magnificent as your butler!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess it is all relative. We like being able to skip the lines and avoid the crowds. My husband and I both work, with long, stressful days and dreadful commutes. A cruise is the ultimate escape from the rat race. Spending extra to make it as comfortable as possible for our family (a Haven 2 bedroom), and being able to have a butler or concierge take care of everything we need with no effort on our part is heavenly. Not having to wait in line for a seat at a show, walking on and off the ship with no lines is of value to us, as is having a secluded lounge and sun deck away from the noise and crowds.

I can see when it might not be. A retired couple has much more leisure time in general, so waits may not be an issue for them.

This is us - my husband and I both work full time and have three kids, with the youngest not yet 2. For our Alaska cruise next week, we will have a 4 hour time zone difference. I enjoy the dining experience, but also know that my toddler will never make it to dinner, let alone through it. The Haven sold me on being a refuge and having a butler to still provide a dinner service, in the convenience of our cabin. Our older sons can take advantage of the kids/teen clubs and my husband and I can still receive some pampering.

At this point, our time off is more limited than our vacation budget. So we splurge on the extras that will make the trip more enjoyable. I will be happy to skip lines with a toddler in tow.

My DH and I cruised in the Haven on the Getaway in 2015 for a splurge since it was our 40th Anniversary.

We cruised a year later with our best friends on the Escape and had booked regular balcony rooms, but I called about upgrades 3 weeks out and paid for all of us to be upgraded to the Haven.

Our friends loved it so much they were willing to pay full price for the Haven on the Escape later this year. Shocked us as they are very thrifty.

In April we took our adult daughter with us on the Getaway in a regular balcony cabin. We knew on this cruise things would be different, but other than priority boarding and the Haven amenities we were impressed that it really wasn't very different-service was still top notch. We may have been seated at slightly better seats at restaurants when we were sailing Haven but that's the only thing I can put my finger on.

We actually saw more of the ship this last cruise as we tend to spend most of our time in the Haven when we book it. Next February we are sailing with different friends who always sail the cheapest rooms they can book and so we booked the cheapest inside room on the Escape. I know I'll have a great time, I just won't have a swanky stateroom!

Had a Haven Suite on the Getaway during her maiden season. The only other sailing that had better service was our TA on the QE2. We have an Aft balcony on the Escape in July. Put in the upgrade bid to The Haven. If we don't get it not a big deal. But it would be nice...😁😁😁

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

We did enjoy our Haven cruise (as I said earlier), but doubtful we will do that again without a really great deal. I've been disappointed with the starting ranges on the invitation to bid emails we have received. We are enjoying cruising four times a year now. If we were only cruising once a year or once every two years or so I might think to try it again....but not at the current prices:eek:

Just got back from a balcony after 4 cruises in an SJ suite (no balcony). I honestly didn't miss the balcony in the SJ suite, but now that I've had one again, it certainly has made me re-think that. A suite with a balcony is looking a lot more attractive now!

This was a solo trip, so I booked last minute and grabbed a sail away balcony cabin. They assigned me a mid-ship on 9 straightaway. Was that because I was platinum, and maybe others had to wait a week for their assignment to less attractive locations? Don't know.

For one person, I would say the space in a balcony is reasonably equivalent to an SJ for 2. Certainly there was plenty of storage -- I left multiple drawers/shelves empty. It was nice to have the beds together for a larger area.

As for treatment as a platinum, I was taken to tables as good as when I was in the suite - was it because I was platinum or because I was solo? Don't know. Either way, I was happy and pretty nearly always by a window.

I got all my platinum perks (priority check in, strawberries, wine in room, 9 am walk off, etc). The one thing that I didn't get was wine with my voucher meals at the specialty restaurants. I don't drink, and would have declined it if they'd brought it, but they didn't bring it up and neither did I. Perhaps they would have had I ordered wine, or had somebody with me. I'd be interested to know from couples who use the voucher if they need to request it outright. I was sad to see that the Godiva chocolates are no longer a platinum perk. And I thought the turn down mint was for Platinum as well and I didn't get that.

But those are just things I noticed, not things I minded. There was plenty of food to eat on the ship and I didn't miss the snacks. Frankly, suite snack delivery time usually = exactly when I'm trying to grab a nap in the afternoon, so it's more of a hassle than a perk some days.

Having the balcony to go out on was marvelous in the evenings. I have seen all the shows so skipped most of them and just sitting in the breeze listening to the surf and reading my kindle or listening to my ipod made for a wonderful time.

We have sailed balconies, mini suites , suites (non-haven) and Owners Suite (POA). We have never been in the Haven. Next cruise this year to Alaska - we prefer Aft balconies. since we do enjoy the Suite Breakfast and Lunch , we booked Penthouse Suite. This is the only suite available on jewel class ship with aft balcony. Will not consider Bid for better Suite. They are on both sides of the ship and we booked what we wanted.

Next cruise is the longest we will have been on.

Australia to Hong Kong. It has been sold out for a while and the only cabin to open up was Haven 2 bedroom Suite. So, that will be our first Haven experience. Probably a good idea for such a long cruise. :D

By sailing inside I can take 3 times as many cruises. For me the adventure is going to see new places all over the world. I sleep, shave and shower in my cabin, do everything else in other places on or off the ship .

Go to the Roll Calls section of cruise critic and search for your ship and sailing date. Then see if someone on your list has set up a Meet and Greet (or Meet and Mingle) for your cruise. The meeting is usually held on the first sea day and takes about an hour. Nice way to meet some of your fellow cruisers. Some of the ships officers come to your meeting and there is always a sign-up list of who attends. I'm pretty sure that's one reason we end up getting treats delivered from the Hotel director.

I don't think so!!! I actually went to a lot of work and planned the Meet and Mingle and did not receive so much as a peanut for all my efforts. Don't think anyone that attended got any extra either.

We have sailed balconies, mini suites , suites (non-haven) and Owners Suite (POA). We have never been in the Haven. Next cruise this year to Alaska - we prefer Aft balconies. since we do enjoy the Suite Breakfast and Lunch , we booked Penthouse Suite. This is the only suite available on jewel class ship with aft balcony. Will not consider Bid for better Suite. They are on both sides of the ship and we booked what we wanted.

Next cruise is the longest we will have been on.

Australia to Hong Kong. It has been sold out for a while and the only cabin to open up was Haven 2 bedroom Suite. So, that will be our first Haven experience. Probably a good idea for such a long cruise. :D

Over $14,000 each for 29 days? I am happy to sail 41 days from Singapore to Miami by way of Dubai and Barcelona for $3,100 each including port fees and taxes. Guess we all have different ideas on what we enjoy, what we can afford.

Last time I sailed I was in an aft penthouse on Jewel. This time next week we'll be in a balcony. To be honest, except for free breakfast and lunch at Cagney's, it wasn't worth it.

Terrible Butler who gave us a hard time about dining in suite during rough seas to a concierge who you could never get ahold of when needed, it was a waste of money.

Would only do a suite again if the price was right.

This was our experience on a Jade aft suite (11 night Med) with the exception of the concierge who was fantastic and helped sort out MDR dining which was chaotic on our cruise. Cagney's breakfast was also worthwhile. The butler was a non player- just somebody extra to tip.

We had booked this cruise in advance at a very attractive price and while I might look at suites on HAL, Princess and X (kind of signed off on NCL) I have never been tempted to spring for a suite as the balcony

experience is great for us. The significant savings can be used for 1) future cruises 2) on board extras like

HAL cabanas or Princess Sanctuary which we feel adds to the cruise experience more than a suite. JMHO

The suite perks I've mentioned are worthless. If you want food brought to your room, order it. Why waste your money on a suite that yields perks that are pointless?

I understand this is a little different on the newer ships. With the Haven, you have access to a separate pool, which is great because the common area pool is way too small. .

Not spending money = wasting money? I'm not sure you have grasped how money works.

Multi-quote response:

1. Some people don't have children, and the money they have is theirs to spend as they wish. Not spending it = wasting its potential to unlock additional enjoyment.

2. I've sailed in many many suites, and inside cabins, and balconies, and a couple of ocean-views. So to answer the original question yes, it's possible to enjoy it. Our cruise to Cuba is in a balcony cabin (thanks CAS), while our last, and the next after are both in suites. The 4 day Cuba cruise, with overnight in Havana meant not enough time on ship to justify the suite cost. And sometimes one is surprised with VIP status even when not in a suite. :hearteyes:

3. FARTS: here's a hint (and you probably know this, being in Med School) but the best cure for motion sickness (ship or car, or plane) is to fixate on the horizon. The main cause of the nauseated feeling is a disconnect between what your eyes are seeing, and what your inner-ear perceives. You feel like you're moving, but your eyes see everything near you as being stationary. Fix on the horizon & your eyes will SEE the same movement your balance is identifying...and your stomach will mind it's own business.

4. The menu the butler can deliver isn't a menu. It's anything on the ship. The menu you can order from in a regular cabin is limited to selected items. That's why it's not the same as just "paying for what you want".

5. The main benefit (for me), other than the space, the exclusive spaces when there are Havens, and the access to private restaurants, is the idea of not waiting in lines. I will willingly pay a premium to avoid lining up on my vacation. A good concierge marshals their guests via back elevators & stairwells & entrances into venues so they can avoid lines. THAT is the main thing I'd miss if I had to give up the suite life entirely.

Stephen

By sailing inside I can take 3 times as many cruises. For me the adventure is going to see new places all over the world. I sleep, shave and shower in my cabin, do everything else in other places on or off the ship .

If I had the time to take 3 cruises a year in an inside instead of one every year or so in a suite, I would maybe book an inside. But I have a very busy work schedule and with life in general... 3 cruises a year does not work out. But one cruise a year does work out, I spare nothing and get the most for what I am willing to spend. I have been blessed to be able to cruise in suites 4 times in a row including a Sept. 8th cruise to Bermuda. Just as folks with a balcony tend to spend more time in their stateroom, I spend a lot more time in my suites. I usually have a get together with the family with food catered in by the Butler. Good times!!!

3. FARTS: here's a hint (and you probably know this, being in Med School) but the best cure for motion sickness (ship or car, or plane) is to fixate on the horizon. The main cause of the nauseated feeling is a disconnect between what your eyes are seeing, and what your inner-ear perceives. You feel like you're moving, but your eyes see everything near you as being stationary. Fix on the horizon & your eyes will SEE the same movement your balance is identifying...and your stomach will mind it's own business.

Do blind folks ever get sea sick?

While I agree to a point with the horizon thing you speak of, I don't think it is the main cause. If I fall asleep in the back seat of a car with my mother-in-law driving, I get severe motion sickness. In the front seat I don't, i don't know whats up with that. I am sleeping and not looking around.

Some folks I know of actually have actually gotten seasick prior to even getting on the ship, just thinking about it. Now they do them dramamine patches behind the ear a day or two prior to the cruise.

All I can say is, I am super happy I am not prone to seasickness. That feeling I get in the backseat of a car with my mother-in-law driving will ruin any fun and good times I could possibly have.

If I had the time to take 3 cruises a year in an inside instead of one every year or so in a suite, I would maybe book an inside. But I have a very busy work schedule and with life in general... 3 cruises a year does not work out. But one cruise a year does work out, I spare nothing and get the most for what I am willing to spend. I have been blessed to be able to cruise in suites 4 times in a row including a Sept. 8th cruise to Bermuda. Just as folks with a balcony tend to spend more time in their stateroom, I spend a lot more time in my suites. I usually have a get together with the family with food catered in by the Butler. Good times!!!

:) Sept. 8 th cruise is on my Watch List. :D

While I agree to a point with the horizon thing you speak of, I don't think it is the main cause. If I fall asleep in the back seat of a car with my mother-in-law driving, I get severe motion sickness. In the front seat I don't, i don't know whats up with that. I am sleeping and not looking around.

Some folks I know of actually have actually gotten seasick prior to even getting on the ship, just thinking about it. Now they do them dramamine patches behind the ear a day or two prior to the cruise.

All I can say is, I am super happy I am not prone to seasickness. That feeling I get in the backseat of a car with my mother-in-law driving will ruin any fun and good times I could possibly have.

Blind people can. They can detect different kinds of motion that don't exactly make sense in their brain and they can puke too.

I still will get sick while looking out at sea. I end up having to puke, take meds, and sleep. Sometimes the bright lights can aggravate it more if I concurrently have a migraine at the same time as sea sickness. This is like me when I go down.

Edited by Farts

Front seat vs back seat usually caused by being closer to the windshield. You tend to look outside and you see what your ear feels. When you are in the backseat you are looking at stationary seats in most cases especially if you may down. More windows less chance of motion sickness.

As far as sleeping. Could be the fact that as soon as you wake up you see the stationary items. If the car has stopped by the time you wake and still feel sick then it could be the lights from outside are still detected by your brain whilein the front seat and not as much in the back seats.

Over $14,000 each for 29 days? I am happy to sail 41 days from Singapore to Miami by way of Dubai and Barcelona for $3,100 each including port fees and taxes. Guess we all have different ideas on what we enjoy, what we can afford.

Yes, I agree it is a lot of money. After battling cancer all last year and coming out on the other side , decided now or never is the time to do what we were always putting off. Thought I had all the time in the world to do something like this. This was the only cabin to come open and we just decided to go for it. Retired and sacrifices will need to be made but lifetime dream finally a reality. " No regrets" is what I want to feel at the end of my life. Hope we can all count our blessings .

Front seat vs back seat usually caused by being closer to the windshield. You tend to look outside and you see what your ear feels. When you are in the backseat you are looking at stationary seats in most cases especially if you may down. More windows less chance of motion sickness.

As far as sleeping. Could be the fact that as soon as you wake up you see the stationary items. If the car has stopped by the time you wake and still feel sick then it could be the lights from outside are still detected by your brain whilein the front seat and not as much in the back seats.

I think it's the mother in law.

Yes, I agree it is a lot of money. After battling cancer all last year and coming out on the other side , decided now or never is the time to do what we were always putting off. Thought I had all the time in the world to do something like this. This was the only cabin to come open and we just decided to go for it. Retired and sacrifices will need to be made but lifetime dream finally a reality. " No regrets" is what I want to feel at the end of my life. Hope we can all count our blessings .

Does sound like a great cruise, hope it fulfills all your dreams.